Stopping at Costa Maya

Gears

We are stopping at Costa Maya in a few weeks on the Indi. We have stopped there a few times, but it has been at least eight years +/-.

We are thinking of going into Mahahual and finding a nice cafe/restaurant/bar to hang out at.

Is going into Mahahual a better experience than hanging out at the port compound? If so, is there a particular place and how much $$ should we bring with us?

Bing Bong!

We looooove Costa Maya.  I am hopeful that they will start adding CM calls to the western itineraries just to add a little variety to those itins.

We always go to the Krazy Lobster (formerly Coco Loco) but there are many nice restaurants (I should say,....restaurants with great food.....none of the are what you would really call "nice") in Mahahual.

IMO, CM has one of the nicest pier compounds anywhere so I find no fault for folks who choose to just stay there, but I find the people and atmosphere in town so appealing that we always go to town.  The ONLY down side to the town is that there are endless local vendors pushing trinkets at you all day long.  If you can tolerate that, I think it's worth it.

One word of advice.  If you decide to go downtown and decide ahead of time you want to take advantage of the $20 beachside hour massage (and I HIGHLY recommend that you do), do NOT allow someone to "pimp" for you and arrange the massage for you  They immediately double the price and keep half for themselves..  IF you want to get a beachside massage, make your own arrangements and insist that you will only pay $20.  They will try and charge more but WILL settle for $20.  I always tip generously to make up some of the difference,

We looooove Costa Maya.  I am hopeful that they will start adding CM calls to the western itineraries just to add a little variety to those itins.

We always go to the Krazy Lobster (formerly Coco Loco) but there are many nice restaurants (I should say,....restaurants with great food.....none of the are what you would really call "nice") in Mahahual.

IMO, CM has one of the nicest pier compounds anywhere so I find no fault for folks who choose to just stay there, but I find the people and atmosphere in town so appealing that we always go to town.  The ONLY down side to the town is that there are endless local vendors pushing trinkets at you all day long.  If you can tolerate that, I think it's worth it.

One word of advice.  If you decide to go downtown and decide ahead of time you want to take advantage of the $20 beachside hour massage (and I HIGHLY recommend that you do), do NOT allow someone to "pimp" for you and arrange the massage for you  They immediately double the price and keep half for themselves..  IF you want to get a beachside massage, make your own arrangements and insist that you will only pay $20.  They will try and charge more but WILL settle for $20.  I always tip generously to make up some of the difference,

Thanks for the info! We are cruising to CM in January on Indy and are not doing any excursions. What is around the port. We plan on walking around right near the port and going back to enjoy an empty ship. Do a lot of people get off in CM? TIA

Thanks for the info! We are cruising to CM in January on Indy and are not doing any excursions. What is around the port. We plan on walking around right near the port and going back to enjoy an empty ship. Do a lot of people get off in CM? TIA

A good number get off as the port facility is quite nice.  I've done it both ways.  Once, I just explored the port village and then went back to the ship.  The second time, I went on a tour of the ruins, which was quite nice.  This time we're trying the water park.  Hopefully next time will get to one of the beach clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

It appers that as of 22 July, all Celebrity Galaxy cruises for the Panama Canal will no longer include Belize City, but rather Costa Maya, Mexico. Is anyone familiar with this port?

Costa Maya is a nice port with a dock, which means no long tender rides to and from the port or lines to get on the tenders.

There lots to do from ruins to beach clubs. They even have new water park right near the port.

Thanks for the tip WAAAYTOOO!

We stopped in Costa Maya on December 6th. We took your tip and went to the Krazy Lobster. It was a great day. Sun, beach, $1 Coronas and a great lunch at a reasonable price!

You wouldn't know the place from the front...Costa Maya has changed considerably since we were there last.

The only real issue we had...was the relentless walking vendors. I swear it felt like every 30 seconds. They weren't pushy or aggressive, but the pure numbers was unprecedented in our travelling history.

Also, cabs are not (at least no longer) allowed to pick up fares inside the gates of the compound. Getting a cab requires walking outside the gated compound...there are lots. We didn't know this and took the tram at $3/ea. Given we sat in the tram for what seemed like forever until they were satisfied that they had enough people, next time we will be walking outside the gates to grab a cab at $2/ea.

Cost: $6 for tram, $65 for three buckets (5) Coronas, two strawberry daiquiris, lunch and tip and $4 for a return cab ride. Totally worth it! 

So glad you enjoyed it.  Yes, the vendors are a true nuisance....but they are not persistent or aggressive.  You just tell them "no" and they move on.  Problem is, as you suggest...there is another one right behind them....and then another, and then another...

The tram is a bit of a compromise.  It's either wait and take the tram or wait and catch a cab.  6 of one....

The cab thing was the same when we went.  While you are outside the compound, you are still within the security parameter so it is a bit of a walk but it is safe.  But so many people don't bother to go out of the compound, they have no idea how much fun the beach area is.