Xcaret

ScottW3

The family (myself, wife, and 7 and 9 year olds) will be sailing on Wonder in April on a 5 night. We only stop at Cococay and Cozumel. I was planning on doing our "beach day" at Cococay so I thought I'd try something unique in Cozumel. Xcaret park stool out and all the reviews I've read are very positive. However, I have seen the negative about travel time from port and having limited time once there. Can anyone give me some advice? Should I stick to Paradise Beach or Mr. Sanchos? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I honeymooned in Playa Del Carmen last year (our Royal Caribbean Cruise was cancelled 😪) and we took a taxi to Xcaret. We had a great time, and spent the whole day there. There is a lot to see and do, from the animals to the shows. The best part of the day for me was the big show at the end of the night (the Mexico Espectacular) but it lasted at least 90 minutes and I'm pretty sure it started after dark. I would say you would need at least 5 hours to see most of the park. If you don't have that much time, it may not be worth it.

9 hours ago, iceflyer101 said:

My wife and I honeymooned in Playa Del Carmen last year (our Royal Caribbean Cruise was cancelled 😪) and we took a taxi to Xcaret. We had a great time, and spent the whole day there. There is a lot to see and do, from the animals to the shows. The best part of the day for me was the big show at the end of the night (the Mexico Espectacular) but it lasted at least 90 minutes and I'm pretty sure it started after dark. I would say you would need at least 5 hours to see most of the park. If you don't have that much time, it may not be worth it.

Thanks so much for the insight. From the cruise planner, it shows the excursion length at 9 hours. It also says we have a 45min ferry ride followed by a 30 min bus ride each way. That puts transportation alone at 2.5hrs leaving 6.5 at Xcaret. Personally, I think that's more than enough time. Unfortunately, we'd miss the end of the day show you mentioned. 

you can read more and look around, but i would strongly advise you to NOT take the ferry across from cozumel to playa.  

1) it's not a very comfortable ride - it's a narrow channel with a lot of chop most days as cozumel is relatively flat and there is not protection as with other more mountainous islands, it's also notoriously not exactly a military operation with respect to safety and timeliness

2) it's another set of variables with taxis and ferry times and more chances for something to go wrong

3) there is a lot to do and see in cozumel!  great snorkeling and diving, a lot of excursions, a nice outdoor market, a bunch of bars and restaurants, some mayan ruins, a couple well reviewed all inclusive type resorts where you can get a day pass, plenty of cool stuff.  i would say that if you want to do xcaret and the ruins in tulum and the cave diving in the cenotes and see playa, save it for a land vacation, plenty to do for a week stay in riviera maya.

That ferry was not fun. We tried to take it to Cozumel for an excursion, and after waiting in line for almost an hour we were told that all sailings for the day were cancelled due to wind and choppy conditions. We had to reschedule for the next day. They delayed that ferry, and when we finally got on, it was the roughest seas I had ever seen. I never get seasick, but I was turning green by the time we reached shore!