Zoom Surf and Stream

csrsue

Hi, all!

We will be taking a family cruise soon, including my niece who has a two-year-old.  If she purchases the Zoom Surf and Stream package, will she be able to access streaming services such as DisneyPlus and Netflix without incurring extra charges?  She has unlimited data through her mobil provider already.  She's hoping to be able to stream a few shows for her daughter.

Thanks for any info!

Should not have an issue streaming to a device from one of the streaming services they have a plan with.  There is no limit on the amount of data that can be transferred from what I can tell.  Most of mine was uploading but we also watched some video's on YouTube from time to time.  

And I agree with Jack, unlimited data service plan does not mean they can just connect up to the ships service while at sea and not incur a bill.  It's similar to going to another country it would be best to call the cell service provider and get a letter in writing that the time on the ship is covered 100% under their plan and will not incur extra charges for the use.  I only mention this because of your niece has unlimited data.  If you guys are worried about extra charges on the ship for streaming I would hate for you to have a huge phone bill when you get home.

When you place your devices on Airplane Mode, you are no longer accessing your carrier’s service. I just have to manually place the device on WiFi after I activate Airplane Mode. I stream movies on an iPad virtually every night on Prime, Netflix, YouTube and Disney+ while on the ship’s WiFi Surf and Stream. The only time I ever have a problem is when there is an issue with the ship’s WiFi…usually while going through a storm, or one time the satellite service went down fleet wide for a couple hours. During that time, I accessed movies and shows that I had downloaded to my device before I left home. Easy. Also, while on WiFi, I make and receive calls over Messenger…both voice and video…and send and receive emails, texts and post to social media like normal. Again, because I am on Airplane Mode…I am not using any service (voice, text, data) connected with my cell service provider. As far as Verizon Wireless is concerned, it’s as if my phone has been turned off. Enjoy your cruise…and your video viewing!

Also a good tip about the ship’s WiFi for one device…

If you have any sites that you are interested in using during your cruise that you have opted-in to an additional security feature to sign in…such as receiving a text with a one time pass-code…you may want to turn off that feature prior to cruising. In order to retrieve the code, you would need to leave your sign-in page, exit the site, then wait for the one-time-code text. But, when trying to use it for your app, you’ll find that the sent code is no longer valid as you have left the site to go get the code. You can always turn the feature back on after the cruise. I always opt from a one-time-code to answering a security question (if that option is available). At least that’s my experience.

Also consider downloading the shows you might wish to watch before you elave home. While Royal as the best Internet at Sea (There advertisment tell me so so it must be true) it is wifi at sea. Speed will not be as fast as you normally get at home and at peak times you may experaince some issues streaming. All the popular streaming services (Disney+ and Netlex for example) allow you to download shows/movies to your devices and then access them when you computer/tablet is offline. By downloading a few shows beforehand you essentually have your own backup just in case the ships wifi is not as good as it could be when you are wanting to watch something.