Gripe about RCI HIGH charges for single travellers

I know this has been dicussed many times, on every board, about every travel company out there, but I don't get why RCI is so bad when it comes to this.

I know all the reasons, arguments and for the most part I understand, although don't like it.

However, when they charge MORE for a single traveller, than for 2 people in a room, that is just not acceptable.

Especially when it's last minute, and in all likelyhood are going to sail with empty cabins in 2 days, why not at least just charge double, or give a break to collect some kind of money.

I know Carnival has alot of sailings with 0% single supplement, and other cruise lines vary.

But why does RCI consistantly have to be the worst and the highest when it comes to this??!

Frustates and disapoints me, as I have had nothing but great expereiences with them so far......but this kind of thing turns me off from a company, any company taking advantge of people. 

The only ship I know with RCI thats has those is the Brillance of the Seas...they average about 150% of a regular price.....which I can swallow if I have to...but it only goes out of Tampa Bay(from what I can see)....and flights from NB to Tampa run close to $1000 return so its not really an option even with the slightly reduced cruise cost.(mostly in part to the abusd air prices we pay in Canada)

I think that with divorce, people waiitng later in life to get married, and if cruising wants to appeal to all ages and walks of life, they need to do something to accomdate single travellers. They are missing out on some potential there.

Glad to hear that perhaps with the Quantum ships there maybe more options with RCI.

3 of the 4 Radiance class ships now have single occupancy cabins (Jewel doesn't) but its only 3 cabins per ship.  The single occ cabins on Quantum are linked to the JS and balcony cabins as part of a family set and not available for individual booking on line.  Not sure if you called you could get them to release one but from what my travel agent told me they hold them as part of the three room suite.  So I think it's kind of misleading they advertise single occupancy cabins for Quantum.  Sort of like the 18 dining venues they advertise.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise Carnyvale.  I took three 7-day cruises on them in December/January to escape the cold and didn't have to pay the "single cruiser" tax on any of them.  Granted, they were last-minute bookings and they were running a special but I didn't have to ask for special treatment and was even able to book the same cabin back-to-back on one trip.  I guess they finally realized it's better to have 1 paying customer in a cabin than 0.

I'm sailing on Allure next month only because I want to take a ride on the biggest ship and because they "only" hit me with a 50% markup.  I'll do my best to eat that markup in extra food but I'm only 1.5 men.

Yeah..I have seen Carnyvale in alot of cases waves ANY single supplement. However I really do enjoy RCI, am a C&A member and those I usually travel with enjoy RCI as well, so I guess I don't have much choice.

I am ok with even 50% markup...I'll eat and drink for 1.5 people no problem...my issue is really when they charge me for more than 2 people....absurd!