RoyalUp comment

So I have an inside cabin with virtual balcony now and did the RoyalUp to balcony (minimum amount) it got declined even though I counted well over 100 balconies available to purchase now with less than 30 days to go. Makes no sense to me. I'm happy with with virtual balcony and confused why Royal would decline the balcony with so many free balcony cabins available

23 minutes ago, CruisingSteve said:

So I have an inside cabin with virtual balcony now and did the RoyalUp to balcony (minimum amount) it got declined even though I counted well over 100 balconies available to purchase now with less than 30 days to go. Makes no sense to me. I'm happy with with virtual balcony and confused why Royal would decline the balcony with so many free balcony cabins available

They likely are trying to attract new guests to book who aren’t on the ship yet.  More new guests equals more wallets on board to spend money.  Upgrading people doesn't introduce new wallets on board.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

They likely are trying to attract new guests to book who aren’t on the ship yet.  More new guests equals more wallets on board to spend money.  Upgrading people doesn't introduce new wallets on board.  

With over 100 balconies available, why not wait and see until 2-3 days before the cruise to make a decision? By then they have a final count. They lost out on upgrade money from me. Maybe I'm being to logical

So this is just anecdotal example, but I think it really is a complicated algorithm with not only how many open cabins there are, but also with what room category you're currently in, how much inventory is open in the categories, how many people are in your room, etc. I booked 2 rooms for an upcoming cruise (separate reservation numbers). First cabin (4 people) room category is wide open - like 90% open. My royalup offer is only letting me bid on one other room category and no suites. <- they really want me to just stay in my room, IMHO. Second cabin (2 people) is also wide open, but closer to 40% open. The second cabin can bid on every room category, including suites and 2-bedroom suites. The rate we paid per person was the same for both of the rooms. 

(We aren't going to bid because we chose these particular rooms for their locations.)

Is the per person price listed on Royal Up then charged per day? Or is it just that flat rate?

Also, my kids (18 &13) are currently in an adjoining balcony room (Deck 9, Symphony). So would I be a terrible parent if I upgraded to a suite and then requested one as near to their room as possible? Seems more risky than it’s worth, but still tempting 🥳

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, bazingau said:

So this is just anecdotal example, but I think it really is a complicated algorithm with not only how many open cabins there are, but also with what room category you're currently in, how much inventory is open in the categories, how many people are in your room, etc. I booked 2 rooms for an upcoming cruise (separate reservation numbers). First cabin (4 people) room category is wide open - like 90% open. My royalup offer is only letting me bid on one other room category and no suites. <- they really want me to just stay in my room, IMHO. Second cabin (2 people) is also wide open, but closer to 40% open. The second cabin can bid on every room category, including suites and 2-bedroom suites. The rate we paid per person was the same for both of the rooms. 

(We aren't going to bid because we chose these particular rooms for their locations.)

There are still over 100 balconies available. Money they lost

On 1/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, Rad_Dad84 said:

Is the per person price listed on Royal Up then charged per day? Or is it just that flat rate?

Also, my kids (18 &13) are currently in an adjoining balcony room (Deck 9, Symphony). So would I be a terrible parent if I upgraded to a suite and then requested one as near to their room as possible? Seems more risky than it’s worth, but still tempting 🥳

Flat rate that is charged once to the first two people in the room. 

If selected, you cannot request a specific location. You might have luck with changing locations if there are other rooms in the same category that are open. YMMV

3 hours ago, teddy said:

That’s interesting. I wonder if they’re changing things.

We’ve participated in quite a few Royal Up bids and have always been able to modify or cancel our bids up until the point they are all expired or one is left pending.  

I was able to modify/cancel my bids up to sailing on my January 29th sailing, so it's still available.

On 1/28/2022 at 6:14 PM, Rad_Dad84 said:

The adult responsible for those under 21 is not supposed to be on a different deck, and not even "down the hall", from the cabin of those under 21.  Those under 21 must be in a cabin directly next to or across from you.  (you can call Royal Caribbean to double check this, this has been my experience with my under 21 kids)  Your only "work around" would be to change your reservations and put one adult/one child in each cabin, then use Royal Up-and swap room keys, but this would violate Royal's policy of the cabin needing to be visually adjacent/across if something were to go wrong (they throw a late night party or some other "dumb thing" they can pull the footage to see who has been in/out of that cabin and would see the adults have not stayed there. ) On a side note-if this applies to you or someone else reading this- if you did not want 2 alcohol drink packages, booking 1 adult/1 child per cabin avoids having to do the 2 alcohol drink packages for all adults in the cabin.
Royal Up will not recognize that your cabin needs to be next to your cabin of guests under 21,  would  Guest Services  figure it out? can your bid go through?  Would they then make you pay the Royal up fee and keep you in your cabin (which was potentially given to someone else in a Royal Up) Would they cancel you altogether if you win the bid if they can't get 2 cabins visually adjacent?  There are no guarantees that you would be able to get a cabin with your kids in the proper location (next to or directly across from you)if you won your bid so I don't know what Royal would do in that case.  Lots of questions!  Let us know if you do this how it works out!