Full Vaccination - Boosters?

Carnival said in the letter, “The CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible. Should the CDC definition of fully vaccinated evolve to require the booster shot, our policy will adapt accordingly.”

And this from the CDC director. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2022/01/05/press-briefing-by-white-house-covid-19-response-team-and-public-health-officials-77/

"individuals are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if they’ve received their primary series.  That definition is not changing."

It seems to me the CDC is being very careful not to change this definition of "fully vaccinated" as they are aware of the many implications it has to travel, government workers, and the general public. Unless they change this definition - which the director has no desire to do - I don't expect Royal, Carnival, or other larger cruise lines to adjust their vaccine mandates.

Carnival does mention the possibility of port authorities modifying their own vaccine mandates.  However, the fact that they've allowed unvaccinated kids go on sanctioned excursions with no problem, I don't forsee this issue coming to a head in the near future.

It's not as surprising that Silversea or Azamara is mandating boosters. They somewhat cater to an older crowd and generally have longer and more remote/exotic itineraries. Imagine being in Antarctica with very little medical resources and you have even a handful of covid patients. The extra edge of protection that the booster shot provides from infection or serious symptoms may be necessary for these cruise lines. 

Well Europe for one will be interesting. Currently in Italy, your last shot of vaccine has to be within the last 9 months and I believe I read come February, it has to be within the past 6 months. 

There are rumors though that before tourist season sets in, this will be dropped. If it isn’t dropped, that means a booster will be required to fall within their 6 month period for most Americans. 

We’ve got a cruise out of Rome this October. It also will visit Israel-who also has strict vaccination requirements. I’m watching closely on this one. Not thrilled about a booster. I’ll do it to travel this year (2 international trips) but no more after that. I’m done with this stupid virus

Recent data show that less than half (41.8%) of vaccinated people have received their boosters. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/states-ranked-by-booster-rates.html.  Requiring boosters at this point may not be a good business decision for some cruise lines. Princess sent out a survey asking about boosters a few weeks ago. Has Royal done the same yet? 

2 hours ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Not to be controversial, does anyone think the vaccine mandate will quietly go away ever or will it be a requirement indefinitely?

You got me ... I hate making predictions, but this time I am compelled to (in a bid to save my sanity ... I have been cooped up too long).

😉

COVID-19 hopefully will become something like the flu.  Some will choose to get vaccinated (especially the most vulnerable), others will choose a possible infection and hopefully not become too ill.  For many years, I did not get a flu shot.  I was young and able to sweat through the 2 or 3 days.  When our parents started getting older, we got flu shots to protect others (not really ourselves).  With a 92 year old spectacular Father-in-law living with us and a newborn grandchild close by, we keep our sleeves rolled up and anyone can inject us with any vaccine they want to ... not for ourselves, so much, but for some very precious people.

From a cruising perspective, there will not be a requirement (eventually).  If there is none for flu, measles, diphtheria, polio, etc, I can not see there being one for COVID-19 ... it is just a matter of time.

A very hopeful Curt from Canada

🙂

On 2/5/2022 at 6:46 AM, JSB_Z51 said:

Not to be controversial, does anyone think the vaccine mandate will quietly go away ever or will it be a requirement indefinitely?

They are already starting to work on a combination flu covid booster if that says anything.

But It's going to be a numbers game.  Numbers go down and stay down then it probably will not be required.  The opposite is also true.