How strict is RC with weight restrictions

I currently have an upcoming cruise on Odyssey of the Seas next month and was really looking forward to doing the North Star. However I saw in a cruise vlog that it has a weight restriction of 300 pounds. Im currently at 315 and I'm wondering how strict they are with this restriction. Also is they any limit on capacity and do you think that would play a factor with the restriction if there are less people? TIA

3 hours ago, rhythmiccombo said:

I currently have an upcoming cruise on Odyssey of the Seas next month and was really looking forward to doing the North Star. However I saw in a cruise vlog that it has a weight restriction of 300 pounds. Im currently at 315 and I'm wondering how strict they are with this restriction. Also is they any limit on capacity and do you think that would play a factor with the restriction if there are less people? TIA

As a large man myself I can tell you they are very strict. They have scales at every weight restricted activity.

While I know they are pretty strict you *may* be able to get away with it if you try to book a private one. weight limitations on group activities  are based on the maximum weight per person allowed. So let's say they have a maximum allowance of 20 people x 300lbs then the weight load it can carry is 6,000lbs. if it's just you and your family or whatever, you *may* be able to make it work. But that is 1000% up to the crew and they may have a no exceptions rule just to keep it fair for everyone.

33 minutes ago, egd207 said:

When they weigh you before getting on Northstar is it just a scale that shows the weight to everyone standing there?  Just want to know to mentally prepare - I'm within weight limit but may be embarrassed for the entire family to see.

It's right in front of you - similar to what you might see at a doctor's office.

25 minutes ago, egd207 said:

Thank you for this information.  I just never tell anyone my weight - now they'll all know.  Oh well, not worth skipping the fun.

Good thing is the crew has 0 reactions or judgements or commentary. They're just making sure the number on the scale is lower than the max and higher than the minimum.

I know for a fact that I look lighter than my actual weight and most times - even at the doctor - I get a double take when they see/hear the number so I was braced for it when I got weighed at both Skypad and iFly but they made 0 remarks, comments, notices anything. And if you're in a position where seeing your weight will trigger something, it's easy enough to look straight ahead and not read it.

My son wanted to do the zip line.    Minimum weight is 75lbs.   He weighed in at 74.2.    They wouldn’t let him ride.   I feel like they’re super strict on both ends of this spectrum.     They were weighing people at Cococay water slides when we were doing the inner tube slides too.  

I overheard a crew member working the North Star on Anthem tell a passenger that the restrictions are there for the emergency procedures they would have to take in the event the North Star gets stuck in the upright position.

Not sure how true it is and I don’t know the exactly details of what that emergency procedure might be.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, egd207 said:

Thank you for this information.  I just never tell anyone my weight - now they'll all know.  Oh well, not worth skipping the fun.

I’m on the smaller side and still don’t want my weight out there.  It’s personal.  I always make my group turn around and do a private weigh in.  Make a joke out of it!

On 1/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, Amanda31 said:

Do they weigh everyone or just people who appear close to the limits?

In my experience, the weigh everyone.  On CocCay, the weigh you at the bottom of the stairs for the water slides each time.  Even my 100 lb dripping wet daughter had to get on the scale when the weight limit is 300 lbs.  I also don't recall a numeric display, just a green/red light.

We had a very distraught toddler when we found out she couldn't do the north star due to the height restrictions. When we ask the attendant about why (we weren't upset, just curious how they implement a height restriction for an enclosed bubble), he explained that it all has to do with the emergency evacuation procedures should the guests need to be removed from the north star if it got stuck. He said they use some sort of "zip line" in order to get people out if needed, hence the strict adherence to height and weight requirements for each individual (as opposed to total weight for each group that goes). Each person would have their own harness to "zip line" off the north star, so everyone would have to be able to fit their harnesses safely.

39 minutes ago, MTNeedsAVacay said:

We had a very distraught toddler when we found out she couldn't do the north star due to the height restrictions. When we ask the attendant about why (we weren't upset, just curious how they implement a height restriction for an enclosed bubble), he explained that it all has to do with the emergency evacuation procedures should the guests need to be removed from the north star if it got stuck. He said they use some sort of "zip line" in order to get people out if needed, hence the strict adherence to height and weight requirements for each individual (as opposed to total weight for each group that goes). Each person would have their own harness to "zip line" off the north star, so everyone would have to be able to fit their harnesses safely.

This makes a lot of sense for why there would be individual weight limits

Something tells me these North Star things might be short-lived as far as installing them on new ships (obviously they didn't find room for one on the Wonder). It sounds like they may be more of a hassle in the long-run with so many potential issues. And I can't imagine who fixes these things when they break down. 

I was on Odyssey a few weeks ago. I am a big man (approx. 320).  We were in Star Class on the cruise. We did a private North Star and just had my wife, dad and i and one other couple. 

I asked about the weight and they said it was no problem since it was the total weight of the passengers they were looking at. They added a wheelchair for dad, since he was unable to stand for the entire ride.

I was just on Odyssey and never saw a scale near North Star.  I'm a muscular 240 at 5'10" and as such don't meet the requirements for I Fly which are under 230 if under 6 feet OR under 250 if 6 feet+.  I asked if they would just turn up the van speed which I knew is possible.  What I will say is that one instructor may have agreed to right until their supervisor/team lead came in.  He provided me his card and told me to call and ask for him.......he'd let me know when the coast was clear.  Also saw a very tall man weight over 250 go as well.