Be aware when updating your info! *unexpected charge*

Butch R

Hi.  First time poster and first ever cruise booked for April on Adventure of the Seas.

So,  I used the online portal to check on my remaining balance. 

While I was there, I made and change to my information by adding my Crown & Anchor number to my room information.

The over all price I owed then jumped by $40 after I added my Crown & Anchor number.

Just entering information. No changes to my booking. I simply added to my information.

It took a lot of time on the phone, and and email to the right folks to get this resolved.

Just a cautionary tale!

Take care all!

Interesting.
I have checked pricing on cruises for Royal and when I did so and did it without my C&A # and  then with the C&A # I noticed a price increase. (happened twice to different sailings)   Almost like they are screwing you for being loyal to Royal!  So I told my travel agent to be sure to do the booking without the C&A number and add it later.  Sounds like the app has a way to screw those loyal to Royal too.  Glad you got it resolved, I'm sure that was a pain!

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I think this probably happened because you originally benefited from some promotional offer that was not able to be used in conjunction with C&A status and when you put your number in the system repriced to reflect that.

Right, but that should only matter at the time of booking.  To my knowledge, there's no way to request a reprice through the web or app.  It has always required you or your TA to actually call and request the price change.  If they ever add the ability to do online repricing, it sure better have an obvious confirmation button.  Automatically changing your balance due behind the scenes would cause all kinds of problems.  Imagine if the original poster hadn't noticed the change and their cruise was canceled due to lack of full payment!  Then imagine the chaos if repricing started occurring after every cruise planner transaction!

18 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I think this probably happened because you originally benefited from some promotional offer that was not able to be used in conjunction with C&A status and when you put your number in the system repriced to reflect that.

That was exactly what happened. The exact line item was the travel protection went up by $20 each. 

As a guy who does programming, I can tell you the logic that is missing in the code!   *basically, if an item is lower, keep that price unless actively told to update that item* But yes, that was the issue!

4 hours ago, awr66 said:

That was exactly what happened. The exact line item was the travel protection went up by $20 each. 

As a guy who does programming, I can tell you the logic that is missing in the code!   *basically, if an item is lower, keep that price unless actively told to update that item* But yes, that was the issue!

I'm not tech savvy enough to understand the ins and outs of it but I'd heard of it happening before. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted.