How often do Royal change the headliner shows?

Mike.s

Headliners are different than the production and/or Broadway type shows.  Headliners tend to be changed very frequently, in some cases there are more than one headliner on a particular cruise.  

The Broadway type production shows do not change often.  They are massively expensive to install on a ship and on a typical cruise more than 50% of all guests have never sailed Royal let alone that ship.  Of the C&A returning guests many have not been on that ship.   In reality the repeat cruiser coming back for a second cruise on the same ship are the minority, probably around 20% - 25% of the ship guest count. 

It takes up to two months to rehearse and place a new cast onto a ship.   It can take a month just to install the set on a ship.  The cast on some ships can be 25 to 40 performers on a ship like Odyssey with two theater venues. There can be dozens of backstage crew supporting each show.  Not all ship theaters are equal.  Some shows just can't be placed on certain ships due to limitations or the design of that theater.  

The most significant costs for the production style Broadway shows are the initial licensing and setup costs.  Once they'd laid out millions to get a show from development into production they definitely want to keep that show going a very long time to cover the costs associated with creating a new production.  

There are 26 Main Theaters, 5 Aqua Theaters,  5 Two70 venues and 13 Ice Skating Studios with more coming.  Many of the venues have two shows.   

To change the shows on every ship in the fleet every six months in every venue with new shows and new cast being trained and rehearsing would probably cost $50 million a year assuming you could actually accomplish it which can probably could not be done.  It's just not worth it for 20 - 25% of the guest count going on the same ship.  

There are frequent cruisers who have been on many different ships many different times.  It would be impossible to change the production shows fast enough to accommodate this group.  

14 hours ago, twangster said:

To change the shows on every ship in the fleet every six months in every venue with new shows and new cast being trained and rehearsing would probably cost $50 million a year assuming you could actually accomplish it which can probably could not be done.  It's just not worth it for 20 - 25% of the guest count going on the same ship.

Wasn't expecting a 6 month rotation but once every 3 years for the broadway style shows isn't unreasonable in my view.

I've been following various Anthem threads and viewing the sailings on the app.  Aside from We Will Rock You and Spectra Cabaret's Cabaret which are regular shows on Anthem, I've noticed that they have the same "Beatles" as well as "Frankie and the Dreamers" headliner shows also with each sailing now.  Usually the latter are headliners that come and go, but guessing they are keeping some shows to lesson entertainment getting on and off (i.e. due to the pandemic)

P.S. - I hope they keep WWRY for 10 years 🙂  Have yet to get on Anthem (keep trying), but have seen it on land a few times.  It's a fun one.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:53 AM, Mike.s said:

We've seen the headline show on Anthem twice and also seen the show in the West End of London, how often (if ever) do they change the shows, we're due on Anthem later this year and much as we enjoyed the show we'd rather see something else, except for Cats!!

" we'd rather see something else, except for Cats!! "  lol, we can relate to that !   I have no idea what that was all about, but we do love WWRY, hope it stays in place for years to come.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Cruiser24 said:

the shows are a big part of the cruise and when every single show is exactly the same then no point being a returning customer and is probably why such low returning custom. I would love to go again on athem of the seas but won’t book with every show exactly the same.  

They have a pretty high retention rate actually. If they didn't have repeat guest, the loyalty program would be a fail.

5 hours ago, Cruiser24 said:

the shows are a big part of the cruise and when every single show is exactly the same then no point being a returning customer and is probably why such low returning custom. I would love to go again on athem of the seas but won’t book with every show exactly the same.  

"Low rate of returning customer"?? You are joking.  Right?

Poor Cats.  Imagine how much it costs and the effort to license that show, get it installed on the ship with costumes and everything, and then keep it going year after year.  And yet among a surprisingly large majority of commenters, the show is absolutely reviled.  Yikes!

I'm not saying I'm willing to sit through it, but still, I kinda feel bad for the cast members.

On 8/20/2023 at 6:00 AM, Cruiser24 said:

I’ve done numerous sailings on Anthem and each time I go and  see we will rock you.  I’ve watched from front row balcony to various other locations  but my absolute favorite was my last time-front row center.  If you find yourself on the same ship with the same shows you might try changing your seating

On Allure for the fifth time 9/3 and already booked for Mama Mia first night. My wife LOVES that show and usually sees it twice each time we are on the ship.

FWIW...I was told by a CD on Odyssey earlier this year that the cost and process is such they don't change the main shows.