Swimming Pigs at Perfect Day

Live2Cruise

We have not been to Perfect Day before. I see there is an excursion for swimming pigs. My husband has always wanted to do this if we ever when to the Bahamas. Has anyone done this excursion, and is it really worth it? I have seen some comments on social media about how dirty it is. Lots of poop in the water and the pigs are not friendly. Just curious if I should make this happen for him or just enjoy some beach time.

There were two different companies which offer the excursion when I stayed in Bahamas in 2019. We opted for Powerboat Adventures since it was cheaper than Exuma. It’s a different island but similar experience - I think the only difference was exuma you get to swim with the sting rays where Powerboat they line you up on the beach and you feed them. My kids had a blast - 8 yrs and 13 yrs. Yes there was a lot of poop at first which they didn’t advertise, but it just once pigs got in the water and then it quickly floats away. Pigs were gentle and well fed, but the handlers keep a close eye on the big ones. This company really focused on my kids allowing them to wrangle the sharks and gave them a conch. To me it was 100% worth it. 

DFC9E6A7-1ABC-4116-BDAF-DEB21A9AE4CA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

They moved our time up on us, which wasn't ideal at first but since our Jetski excursion was cancelled due to low tide and high chop, it worked out anyway.

We gathered past the dock at on the far end of Cocokay and after a short boat ride we arrived at the dock in a simple island in development where we could see some pigs frolicking on the beach.  We sat at a comfortable picnic deck and our guide gave us a clear safety briefing and showed us what can happen if you're careless via the pinky finger he had lost.  We we're told we couldn't take pictures on the beach but they would later bring the pigs up to take pictures with us.

On the beach we were given wooden skewers and bits of apples and were soon standing among about 20 pigs of various ages.  Our task was to lure the pigs to the water and make them swim to bite the apple off the skewer, as apparently they love the apples and need the exercise.  The larger pigs get jealous of the little ones and will try to snatch them, and the little ones are reluctant to get into the water, so we had to try hard to spread the love around evenly.

Unsurprisingly, the pigs didn't hesitate to make a mess of the beach, but I give kudos to the staff who were fast to clean it up.  I expected that aspect to be far worse than it was.

We stayed on the beach maybe a half hour, feeding pigs until we got tired of doing so and having pictures taken by their on site photog.  Someone could probably take fair photos of the beach from the deck if they had a good optical zoom if they wanted.  I was disappointed in the end when we got back to the deck and there was no meeting with the pigs as previously promised.  One of us should have spoke up, but nobody did.

Regardless, we had fun and my pig-loving wife was very happy.  4/5 Stars.  Do suggest.  Any questions feel free to ask.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 7:44 PM, Nate Y said:

Regardless, we had fun and my pig-loving wife was very happy.  4/5 Stars.  Do suggest.  Any questions feel free to ask.

What time would you suggest doing this?  Did you have time to enjoy Coco Cay when you got back from the excursion?  Was it really only like 2 hours long?

3 hours ago, labdogs42 said:

What time would you suggest doing this?  Did you have time to enjoy Coco Cay when you got back from the excursion?  Was it really only like 2 hours long?

I suggest doing it the earliest time so you can spend the rest of the day at coco cay. That is what we decided to do. We did not want to have to worry about rushing back to the excursion area which is in the chill island area. We had plenty of time when we came back. Yes, the excursion is about 2 hours long. It goes by quickly.

4 hours ago, labdogs42 said:

How much do they charge for the photos?  Did they allow time for photos with the pigs on your trip? 

Yes, you can take photo of the pigs with your own camera when you arrive at the deck area. However, the photos with the pigs on the beach will be taken by them on a Go Pro. Everybody took turns posing for pictures with the pigs and with swimming pics. You were also able to play with the pigs without pictures. There was enough time for everybody to get their pictures and interact with the pigs.  I spent $49 for ten photos. 

• 5 weeks later...

We went and did this excursion recently and in my opinion it wasn’t worth the almost $200. They advertise it to look a lot nicer than it is. The staff were friendly and informative and the pigs were nice but it wasn’t what I expected. I can understand the price as I’m sure it goes to their food and other housing needs but I was very underwhelmed by the excursion and wouldn’t do it again. Also our photos were never uploaded on their website. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, labdogs42 said:

I second doing it early, especially if you plan to drink at CocoCay. Best to be sober around hungry, somewhat aggressive piggies.

• 7 months later...

Did this just before Xmas 2022 on Explorer - what a complete waste of money.  Waiting for ages on cococay to be picked up.  (was moved from 9.30 to 13.30 due to wonder being in)  We wasn't given the opportunity to feed them ourselves.  Only about 10 pigs on beach.  I think it is on the verge of cruelty.........

I would not recommend this excursion over spending time on the island! I'm pretty sure the pigs are treated well BUT I don't really agree with animal tourism like this. I think it's better to just spend the day doing other activities at CocoCay, and if I were going to spend extra $ on an excursion I would do the Coco Beach Club or Thrill Waterpark over the swimming pigs tour.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SunBum365 said:

Does anyone know how strict they are/ how they check children’s ages for this excursion? We have one just shy of the cut off but really want to go on this excursion. 

If your child doesn't meet the age requirement, odds are the Cruise Planner won't even allow you to book it.

• 7 months later...

Sailed on Oasis and paid for this excursion from Coco Cay. We were actually pissed of with this. Forget any ideas of swimming with the pigs. That’s not what this is about. Instead, several of the employees stand in the water and attract a pig or two with food. You pose for a photo and move to the next photo op. You aren’t allowed to take your own pics, so in addition to the $155 CAD to visit ($120 USD) you need to pay more to have one of those Insta friendly photos the description mentions. Then you sit around for another 45 minutes before you leave. Skip this one. 

• 3 weeks later...