Car rental from Port Canaveral to Orlando airport

Hi all. We will be cruising in June out of Port Canaveral. Our flight back home isn’t until 2:30pm. So I don’t want to do a shuttle service to the airport and wait for hours. I was thinking about renting a car and driving to Orlando and just shopping or sight seeing before the flight. Has anyone ever done this? Or do you have a better plan? I was originally going to do the go port hotel/shuttle service program. But figured we would end up getting to the airport around 10:30 or 11 and be stuck there. Also I’m not familiar with the Orlando airport so maybe someone can tell me if there’s fun things to do while we wait. 

TIA for any responses. It’s currently 15 degrees but feels like 7 in Ohio so I’m surviving by planning things for the cruise 😂😂

Orlando airport can be very busy and getting through security can take a long time. Unless you have TSA precheck, I would get there well before your flight time. We just flew out of there back in December on an early morning flight and for non TSA precheck it was 45 minutes just to get through security. I can’t imagine what it would be later in the day. The main concourse has lots of restaurants and shopping, and has all of the Disney, Harry Potter etc specialty items that you would find elsewhere. (If that’s what you were looking for)

12 hours ago, Ohiospeechie said:

lso I’m not familiar with the Orlando airport so maybe someone can tell me if there’s fun things to do while we wait. 

Not really. There's a Disney World, Universal, Sea World, and NASA shop, but that might eat up an hour if you really take your time in each.

There are two great outlets in Orlando: Orlando Prime Outlets and the Orlando International Premium Outlets. Both are easy to get to, and there's a lot of overlap between the two, so pick which has stores you prefer.

You could also then hit up Disney Springs for lunch. It has a lot of restaurants. No admission charge to park or walk in.

5 minutes ago, Pooch said:

So what will your mode of transportation be?

I typically Uber. There are usually places that will hold your luggage for you for a fee. I wasn’t sure if there was anything like that offered near this area. I wasnt planning on renting a car, but I could for the day if that is the only option.

It would be worth it to rent a car if possible. According to Uber estimate, the ride from the port to Disney Springs is a little more than $100. Parking at Disney Springs is free and there are multiple parking garages. I've parked in there with luggage in my car and didn't have an issue. 

If you are going to DS, I highly recommend Art Smith's Homecomin' or Polite Pig BBQ

14 minutes ago, MrsMurray said:

I typically Uber. There are usually places that will hold your luggage for you for a fee. I wasn’t sure if there was anything like that offered near this area. I wasnt planning on renting a car, but I could for the day if that is the only option.

Check out https://usebounce.com/ for luggage storage in the area. There are several locations near Disney Springs. The biggest issue is that you're going to have to have transportation to the luggage storage place from the port and then back from Disney Springs which can really add up in addition to the charge to store the luggage. 

15 hours ago, Ohiospeechie said:

Hi all. We will be cruising in June out of Port Canaveral. Our flight back home isn’t until 2:30pm. So I don’t want to do a shuttle service to the airport and wait for hours. I was thinking about renting a car and driving to Orlando and just shopping or sight seeing before the flight. Has anyone ever done this? Or do you have a better plan? I was originally going to do the go port hotel/shuttle service program. But figured we would end up getting to the airport around 10:30 or 11 and be stuck there. Also I’m not familiar with the Orlando airport so maybe someone can tell me if there’s fun things to do while we wait. 

TIA for any responses. It’s currently 15 degrees but feels like 7 in Ohio so I’m surviving by planning things for the cruise 😂😂

In October 2021 we rented a car from enterprise and drove to the airport. We sailed with 50 percent capacity so the time frames may have been faster than normal. We had a flight scheduled for 2:30pm out of Orlando. We arrived at Port Canaveral by 7am. We were able to get off the ship and went down to the enterprise area and did not have to wait because they had a representative waiting. We were the first couple to take the shuttle to their car rental. I checked in for an economy car but they asked us to a higher option car. Because I'm an awesome wife, I choose as a surprise for my husband to take back the Challenger (free of charge) which my husband was delighted to drive the latest year. He has 2014 challenger. Although, I briefly lost my credit card in the parking lot exiting the shuttle it was found by the driver and we were on the road pretty quickly. The drive is about 45 minutes we also took the toll which cost an extra $11.00 that enterprise charged and we arrived at the airport by 9 am.  It only took us an hour to drop off the car and go through security. We waited about four hours at the airport but they had a lot of stores (Universal and Disney) and decent food options to keep us entertained. I believe Orlando Airport recommends to arrive three hours before the flight. 

Very true mamie.  A lot depends on what time you disembark.  We always try to get the latest time possible which usually gets us off around 9:30.  A direct airport shuttle would get you to MCO by 10:45-11.  Lunch, browsing the shops now it’s noon.  Through TSA & to the gate maybe 12:45ish.  Bathroom break & you’re not that early for a 2:30 flight that will start boarding around 2.

Point is you may not have as much time as you think.  Just another view.  Enjoy whatever you decide!