Tipping

We are getting close (June 23!) to our first cruise.  Can someone explain the best procedure for tipping? Who to tip? Etc.

Gratuities are taken each day for each person straight from your on board account however if you feel that a staff member has been exceptional then you can give that person extra in an envelope at the end of your cruise. As an example we gave our Cabin Steward extra at the end because he was fantastic.

Tips are added to the account - but I always bring extra dollars to put in envelopes for the servers

and leave extra money for the room steward as warranted.  its fun to see them get excited about

the extras too -   Have the best time - and remember to consider rebooking onboard - they often

give you extra incentives to do that.

Remember that MOST of your receipts from purchases on board will have a spot for "additional gratuity." Be aware that it is, in face, additional. No need to add tip unless the team member provided extraordinary service.

Very good tip, so be sure to check if you already did tip them.

I also tip porters when dropping off and picking up my luggage.  Makes my life so much easier to use them and worth a few dollars.

Remember that MOST of your receipts from purchases on board will have a spot for "additional gratuity." Be aware that it is, in face, additional. No need to add tip unless the team member provided extraordinary service.

I would recommend not tipping additional for bar bills. It really isn't necessary. %15 is already included. Like Bryce said, if it was over and beyond service, then maybe. Like if the bartender delivered your drink to you while doing a hand stand.  ;)

Very good tip, so be sure to check if you already did tip them.

I also tip porters when dropping off and picking up my luggage.  Makes my life so much easier to use them and worth a few dollars.

I believe in tipping for everything, except when gratuity is already included in the bill (see above) so I agree with Matt that you should tip your porter, the person who takes your bags once at the port. After all, it is their responsibility to get your luggage onto the ship, and without that luggage you'd most likely be in big trouble. It is a small expense to pay to make someone's day. Also tip hotel bellman and concierges.

I have never tipped a porter.... I drop my 1 bag off at the cart. It is then pulled by a tractor onto the boat. At some point, someone has to bring it down the hall close to my room, but I have no idea who that is or see them. I self check out with my bags.

If everyone tipped the porters at the docks $10, that would be some of the best paying jobs in America!

I don't get that concept.

I have never tipped a porter.... I drop my 1 bag off at the cart. It is then pulled by a tractor onto the boat. At some point, someone has to bring it down the hall close to my room, but I have no idea who that is or see them. I self check out with my bags.

If everyone tipped the porters at the docks $10, that would be some of the best paying jobs in America!

It's a concept of goodwill and courtesy. It's a concept that not everyone gets, especially if you're not from America. We tip for simple things like someone taking our luggage for the same reason we give clothing and other items to shelters, and resale stores or put cash in the Salvation Army kettles at Christmas. Whether the porters are wealthy or not is irrelevant.

Personally, last time I cruised I gave the guy a $20 and the smile on his face made my day. I feel like if I can afford to fly from Michigan to Florida and board a billion dollar cruise ship, then I can give up $20 to a stranger.

Often the porter is lugging my stuff around out in the sun and making sure it goes on its way.  I make sure that I dont lift a finger, so they take the luggage from my car/taxi to where it needs to go and I tip him/her for the service of not having to do it myself.

It's a concept of goodwill and courtesy. It's a concept that not everyone gets, especially if you're not from America. We tip for simple things like someone taking our luggage for the same reason we give clothing and other items to shelters, and resale stores or put cash in the Salvation Army kettles at Christmas. Whether the porters are wealthy or not is irrelevant.

Personally, last time I cruised I gave the guy a $20 and the smile on his face made my day. I feel like if I can afford to fly from Michigan to Florida and board a billion dollar cruise ship, then I can give up $20 to a stranger.

That wasnt my point at all.

This is not a cultural issue so don't even try to imply that. We give to homeless shelters, we drop clothes off at goodwill stores, we tip servers etc here in Canada as well..

My point was that the porter at the dock, lift's my suitcase from the ground to the cart....thats it. And the suggestion was made here that is worth $10! If thats the case, then every single person who does anything for you at anytime derserves a tip!  And I was not implying that porters are wealthy or that wealth plays a roll in tipping or not. I was simply statting that if everyone tipped the porters $10, they would be some of the best paying jobs in America or any country for that matter.

To each their own....I just don't think lifting my suitcase is worth $10. And by suggesting and setting that precedent, you make them come to expect that. Do you tip the check in person at your flight counter $10 for lifting your bag to the belt??

This is not a cultural issue so don't even try to imply that. We give to homeless shelters, we drop clothes off at goodwill stores, we tip servers etc here in Canada as well..

My point was that the porter at the dock, lift's my suitcase from the ground to the cart....thats it. And the suggestion was made here that is worth $10! If thats the case, then every single person who does anything for you at anytime derserves a tip!  And I was not implying that porters are wealthy or that wealth plays a roll in tipping or not. I was simply statting that if everyone tipped the porters $10, they would be some of the best paying jobs in America or any country for that matter.

To each their own....I just don't think lifting my suitcase is worth $10. And by suggesting and setting that precedent, you make them come to expect that. Do you tip the check in person at your flight counter $10 for lifting your bag to the belt??

Well you said you didn't get that concept, so I thought I would explain it. Tipping actually is a cultural issue. Many countries throughout the world do not promote or accept tips for goods and services, unlike here in the US or like your homeland in Canada.

It obviously isn't something you must do, but most do it. Sorry if my reply upset you, that wasn't my intention.

I personally tip $10 for the following two reasons #1 I am nervous that if i do not tip the porter that my bags will be lost or will not go to the correct area of the ship because the porter was mad that they were not tipped so they put my bags in the wrong spot... #2 I feel like it is a nice thing to do to tip someone who has to stand in the florida heat and lift my stuff even if its only 2 sec. I personally feel its the right thing to do...

I just would also like to tell you that yes when I am flying on an airplane I do tip the curb side check in guy so it really must be a personal preference... 

We are getting close (June 23!) to our first cruise.  Can someone explain the best procedure for tipping? Who to tip? Etc.

I'm sorry this topic got off track. Like monctonguy said, tipping is automatic now so there really isn't much you have to worry about. Tips are collected for your Stateroom Attendant, Head Waiter, Main Waiter, and Assistant Waiter. Feel free to tip extra if you feel necessary. Enjoy your cruise!  B)

I'm sorry this topic got off track. Like monctonguy said, tipping is automatic now so there really isn't much you have to worry about. Tips are collected for your Stateroom Attendant, Head Waiter, Main Waiter, and Assistant Waiter. Feel free to tip extra if you feel necessary. Enjoy your cruise!  B)

Tylor is right tip when you feel it is necessary and it does not matter what job they do , if they have gone above and beyond it's good to say thank you.

If your toilet was backed up and you had been desperate for a few hours man would you be sooooooooooooo pleased to see the maintenance guy :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D  :D  

I personally tip $10 for the following two reasons #1 I am nervous that if i do not tip the porter that my bags will be lost or will not go to the correct area of the ship because the porter was mad that they were not tipped so they put my bags in the wrong spot... #2 I feel like it is a nice thing to do to tip someone who has to stand in the florida heat and lift my stuff even if its only 2 sec. I personally feel its the right thing to do...

I just would also like to tell you that yes when I am flying on an airplane I do tip the curb side check in guy so it really must be a personal preference...

I think you hit on the scenario of when the tipping occurs. I've never heard of anyone tipping INSIDE baggage checkers/handlers however curbside check in has always been an apt to be tipped job location. The one inside exception is airport skycaps who assist with luggage and wheelchairs, often contracted by the airlines to assist passengers upon request above and beyond what is normal and expected from the airlines. Part of me wonders if porters are treated like many restaurant and like industry jobs where they are allowed to be payed below federal minimum wage because of tip expectations. Im not saying its right, wrong or anything in between.

Edit: oops left the reply open for 40 minutes and find the topic back on the rails. Sorry, not trying to derail a rerailed rail cruise...thing... nevermind. :) . Happy cruising!

I  am not upset, just don't comprend the concept behind it. If I follow the logic being presented here, then every single person who does anything for me deserves a tip. Even though they are only doing their job, and if they dont do their job they won't get paid or they get fired. But then we tip on top of that. And when it comes to luggage, I do more of the lifitng then they do..I take it from the cab right to the cart and then i take it from the hallway to my cabin.

And when I mentioned flying, I wasnt talking about the guy at the curb carrying your bags, I meant the attendant who takes your luggage at the ticket counter. Cause based on the reasoning being used here to justify the level of tipping, "you would tip her $10 as well, cause you want to make sure your luggage makes it to the plane"......I just dont know where you draw the line or cut it off. If that was the case, we should be down in the engine room of the boat, cause without those guys, the boat really would go nowhere.....

I guess I work in the wrong industry.......lol

I tip for GOOD service, where they may go above and beyond.....i dont tip them for the job they are already paid to do as a rule...

I am a little worried now, that if I don't tip copiously to every person that does anything at all for me then I am going to be treated poorly.

Being from Australia, (yes the dreaded non tipping Aussie) I am comfortable knowing that every service I use is done by a person that is paid to do the job, probably over paid, and that is another problem, Us Aussies are so accustomed to overpaying for every product and service we use it is hard to then pay somebody extra after already paying a fairly high price for the cruise originally, and paying a gratuity to people we may never even get to see.

I wish I could get tipped every time I go out of my way to please a customer, it would certainly make my take home pay a lot better, as I always go out of my way to please customers.

Peter

I am a little worried now, that if I don't tip copiously to every person that does anything at all for me then I am going to be treated poorly.

Being from Australia, (yes the dreaded non tipping Aussie) I am comfortable knowing that every service I use is done by a person that is paid to do the job, probably over paid, and that is another problem, Us Aussies are so accustomed to overpaying for every product and service we use it is hard to then pay somebody extra after already paying a fairly high price for the cruise originally, and paying a gratuity to people we may never even get to see.

I wish I could get tipped every time I go out of my way to please a customer, it would certainly make my take home pay a lot better, as I always go out of my way to please customers.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Don't worry about tipping. Royal Caribbean will pretty much take care of it for you. If you feel that it is necessary to tip extra, then do so. Otherwise enjoy your cruise!

Hi Peter,

Don't worry about tipping. Royal Caribbean will pretty much take care of it for you. If you feel that it is necessary to tip extra, then do so. Otherwise enjoy your cruise!

I agree. Not tipping extra is not going to result in poor service.  I also do not believe in tipping in advance for good service (that's called bribery LOL).

You can have your gratuities included with your final payment, if you wish. (It's required to do so if you have My Time Dining.) Simply contact your travel agent (or Royal Caribbean, if you don't have one) and ask that they be paid in advance.

Beat me to the answer.  Good post Marc!

• 7 months later...

As someone new to cruising, I find tipping the hardest part to navigate. Several websites provide different advice, so it's really hard to grasp. As stated, tips are required, but as an American it's awkward when you don't; sometimes :)

I choose my time dining, so all my tips are collected and paid in advance, but to me the total tips collected seem low. Especially since they are dispersed among so many; they include room stewards, waiters in dining room, etc...

My first, and only cruise, I tipped as follows:

Porters: $2 per bag.

Drinks: I realize that every drink includes a 15% gratuity, but when someone brings me a drink, I usually add $1 per drink. Getting a drink myself from the bar I may not add a tip, unless they are personable. Since they are collected anyway, I am not sure what the point is... the person proving the service doesn't keep the tip, they share in the total tips. Correct?

Waiters: Last night of cruise, I tipped the MDR waiters $50 ($25 each); I only ate there three times.

Steward: I really liked our steward, he was very helpful providing ice each day, extra pillows, extra towels, answers to questions, etc.... I tipped him $100. I think this May have been double what I should have.

Special restaurants: not sure how I did this, I only ate in one and it was not good. Plus I ordered a bottle of wine... so the up charge was $30 per person, plus $60 for wine, ... maybe $40?

Room service: Morning coffee, breakfast, dinner, $2-$5

For some reason I feel a need to tip... I also think that the pay for most of the wait staff is low, so if I am treated well then I can provide a little thank you. Interested in others ideas and specifics.

Mike_

I've always tipped for room service even on lines that stated that it was covered by the daily charge. Otherwise, I've only tipped extra for exceptional service, which has been most often at the coffee bars when on the drink packages as I loved that they knew my drink by the second day. On NCL, we also tipped extra in their cafe as a server there was exceptional with my son everyday we passed through.

How much is acceptable for a your cabin steward for a 7 night cruise.

With the automatic gratuities, Royal Caribbean just has a flat daily gratuity rate of $12.00 USD ($14.25 USD for Suite guests) that is split among stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. I forget the breakdown percentage of who gets what but your stateroom attendant gets the majority of it.

Really? If that is the case why are different venues different fees? Either way, what ever you tip in addition in the MDR, you would do same in Chops I guess,

Thanks,

Mike_

I'm guessing here, but the fee you pay has partly to due with the cost of the higher quality food.