Onboard Credit

bjt0315

Our email confirmation we got for our cruise shows an onboard credit. I've seen some people say it may show up for use with the cruise planner, but we're 7 days out and it isn't showing. We are traveling with others who booked the trip for everyone through a travel agent. I'm guessing that makes the difference.

Anyway, my real questions is this: Once we're on board, how does that credit work? Will any extra purchases we make be taken from that before being taken from our credit card used for the onboard expense account?

I have never seen OBC available to me in the Cruise Planner.  I always had to wait until I was onboard to use my OBC. When I got onboard my OBC was already applied to my Sea Pass account and my purchases are charges throughout the cruise were applied to it as well.  You only pay (or receive) the net amount at the end of the cruise.  It's not that your OBC is used first, it's just all put in the same bucket, if you will, and that bucket is dumped out at the end of the cruise.  You don't actually "pay" for anything until the end of the cruise, except of course cash tips you give to room service throughout the cruise.

Since everyone has paid their cruise in full before departure, what would RCL do with a $300 check I mail them three weeks before departure....apply to my account or would they return the money to me?  I would like to create my own credit to ease the pain upon disembarking!

I was sending checks to RCCL, and once the actual cruise was paid for, they returned the checks to me uncashed. In fact, because it was set up as an auto-pay with my bank, we had two or three checks returned before we got it stopped at the bank.

I want to disembark owing nothing....not come home to a bill in the mail. I will send them the check and thanks for the info.

Unless you have a balanced owed before there cruise, I'm guessing they'll return the check to you as there is no balance to apply the payment. Your best bet would be to taker cash with you to deposit towards your onboard account or buy Royal gift cards for the same purpose.