Travel Mug Talk

UkuleleCruiser

I always bring a travel mug with me on cruises, and have never regretted it. This year, I am considering my choices:

1) inexpensive travel mug from Starbucks. These actually only cost $1.00, and I use a hotsleeve I have for another ceramic cup. (Not bringing the ceramic) This hods 16 ounces. Disadvantage: It doesn't keep the coffee hot that long. Advantage: It is an actual cup which I could use for ice water or other beverages on board. here's an article about it: https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2013/10/14/trash-talking-starbucks

2) I have a Stanley travel mug that resembles a Stanley thermos. It also holds about 16 ounces. Advantage: Keeps coffee hot a good long time. Disadvantage: you can only really use it as a travel mug type drink container, so putting cold drinks with ice makes it difficult to access the ice. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/68928?searchid=7SPFGPLA&feedid=googlenonbrand&product_id=68928-GRN&adpos=1o3&creative=60642850578&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLnajLOhn9ACFYaGaQodeyYG-w

What travel mugs do you guys bring? And what do you think?

Try a Yeti or one of the cheaper wanna be Yetti's at walmart, I think they are called Bubba.  Guy I work with uses one all the time, coffee stays hot all day (and I mean all day) and he says cold drinks will last for several hours.

I like the Yeti cup, and I have seen the knock-offs at Walmart. But I am trying to do this cruise without spending a lot of money before hand. (I have A LOT of travel mugs at home!)

• 3 weeks later...

Then, there is the science of the X-Treme Big Gulp mug which apparently hold twice the capacity of the average adult human stomach.  

And the notable trivia that - your stomach can process around 200-400 ml of liquid per hour.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/01/the-7-11-double-big-gulp-holds-200-more-than-the-average-adult-humans-stomach/

I always bring a travel mug with me on cruises, and have never regretted it. This year, I am considering my choices:

1) inexpensive travel mug from Starbucks. These actually only cost $1.00, and I use a hotsleeve I have for another ceramic cup. (Not bringing the ceramic) This hods 16 ounces. Disadvantage: It doesn't keep the coffee hot that long. Advantage: It is an actual cup which I could use for ice water or other beverages on board. here's an article about it: https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2013/10/14/trash-talking-starbucks

2) I have a Stanley travel mug that resembles a Stanley thermos. It also holds about 16 ounces. Advantage: Keeps coffee hot a good long time. Disadvantage: you can only really use it as a travel mug type drink container, so putting cold drinks with ice makes it difficult to access the ice. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/68928?searchid=7SPFGPLA&feedid=googlenonbrand&product_id=68928-GRN&adpos=1o3&creative=60642850578&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLnajLOhn9ACFYaGaQodeyYG-w

What travel mugs do you guys bring? And what do you think?

First timer so be nice.. what is the travel mug for??? :)

First timer so be nice.. what is the travel mug for??? :)

No worries: We're all friends here. Often I prefer to dink my coffee (or cold beverage in a Yeti cup) on the balcony, or out on deck, or sitting by the pool... The places where coffee and other beverages is available is often not close to your cabin/balcony/deck/pool. The cups provided by RCCL are smaller and have no lid. So your coffee could spill on the way, and you might not have enough to be satisfied. Thus, many people choose to bring a travel mug. Or Yeti cup. Or 7-11 Extreme Ultimate Giant Big Gulp Mug.

Looks like your first cruise is coming up in just a few days! What ship are you on? What are you most excited about? I remember my first cruise. It was awesome!

You may see a lot of complaints on these boards, but remember: A cruise is a week you are not cooking, cleaning, working, driving, or worrying. You will have a phenomenal time!

First timer so be nice.. what is the travel mug for???  :)

The cups provided by RCCL are smaller and have no lid. So your coffee could spill on the way, and you might not have enough to be satisfied. Thus, many people choose to bring a travel mug. Or Yeti cup. Or 7-11 Extreme Ultimate Giant Big Gulp Mug.

It's funny because when UkuleleCruiser first posted this I asked myself the same question, but then figured it would be for much the same reason he explained. I would add that it could be useful to grab a beverage to take with you when you're heading ashore.

Personally, I don't bring my own mug because I'm fine with the size and spillage risk, so when leaving the Windjammer or passing by the Park Cafe I'll often grab a coffee in a standard porcelain mug provided and take it wherever I'm off to next. Once done the mug doesn't have to be returned to where you got it, you can leave it in your room or other places around the ship and it will be collected and find it's way home after cleaning. Park Cafe also has disposable cups with lids, but personally I avoid those unless I'm taking it ashore.

No worries: We're all friends here. Often I prefer to dink my coffee (or cold beverage in a Yeti cup) on the balcony, or out on deck, or sitting by the pool... The places where coffee and other beverages is available is often not close to your cabin/balcony/deck/pool. The cups provided by RCCL are smaller and have no lid. So your coffee could spill on the way, and you might not have enough to be satisfied. Thus, many people choose to bring a travel mug. Or Yeti cup. Or 7-11 Extreme Ultimate Giant Big Gulp Mug.

Looks like your first cruise is coming up in just a few days! What ship are you on? What are you most excited about? I remember my first cruise. It was awesome!

You may see a lot of complaints on these boards, but remember: A cruise is a week you are not cooking, cleaning, working, driving, or worrying. You will have a phenomenal time!

Ukulele :)  thankYou.  Firstly as a mum of 3 teens the lack of cooking cleaning working driving is what i am MOST looking fwd to.  They are coming and have a separate cabin just down from us.  Hopefully l wont worry about them, either getting up to no good (can already hear the capt telling them off lol) or falling off... arghhhhh..   Im taking BOOKS and plan on doing 'not much' except laying around, ppl watching, and swimming.

We will be on the Explorer of the seas, heading to South Pacific.  4 shore days, but lm planning on only doing 3.  (avid snorkeller) 

Your cruising portfolio sounds amazing.