Passports and 6 month rule

Tom0202556

4 hours ago, Tom0202556 said:

Hello I am going on a closed loop cruise with RC Miami - key west - labadee - Miami. My passport expires in may however on this closed loop cruise I don't think I need to fall into the 6 month validation period. Any feedback would be great. 

It’s probably ok for that ….. BUT if it were me, I’d also bring along  a certified copy of my birth certificate and my state ID/driver license for just in case they won’t let you use the passport for boarding.  Also if your last name is different between your ID and birth certificate, you’ll need proof of the change, (a marriage license for example))

Royal is pretty strict with the 6 month rule. You will have to use your birth certificate and photo ID to board because the Royal app will not accept your passport as a document when you try to fill out the precruise info. This happened to me in September going to Coco Cay. When you get back, you can still use the passport to go through customs (we did that because the line was shorter when we got off the ship).

Thanks guys I definitely was planning on bringing my birth certificate and photo ID as back up. It’s just odd cause the APP took my passport and all it said was that “We Strongly Recommend to have the 6 month rule”. I just started to panic cause the cruise is in less then 4 weeks and idk if my passport would come back in time. 

26 minutes ago, Tom0202556 said:

I just started to panic cause the cruise is in less then 4 weeks and idk if my passport would come back in time. 

You would have pretty much no chance at getting it back in time.

The U.S. State Department lists "Routine" renewals as taking 8 to 11 weeks and "Expedited" renewals at 5 to 7 weeks.

2 hours ago, SPS said:

You would have pretty much no chance at getting it back in time.

The U.S. State Department lists "Routine" renewals as taking 8 to 11 weeks and "Expedited" renewals at 5 to 7 weeks.

As always, YMMV.

We just got our expedited ones back less than three weeks from the date of mailing (mailed out on January 5, received today). But I agree that it isn't worth taking the chance.

Yeah agreed not worth sending my passport out now. I’m already checked in online with my current passport and I’m bringing my original birth certificate and a certified copy cause it’s alittle beat up. I think I’ll be good. Just never heard of the 6 month rule till like a couple days ago. If not guess I’ll stay in Miami a few days. If anyone else got some info feel free to add. 

• 2 months later...