Halifax and Saint John

AlwaysRollin

Hey all, booked Oasis June 5th, I'm looking for Favorite excursions or tours or things to do in Halifax and Saint John? Can be either booked through RC or from any recommended tour companies. We were leaning towards booking with RC, but only because Canada seems to be pretty strict with their Covid procedures and in case they shutdown anything, it would be the easiest to get money back...however, still open to exploring non-RC options. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I actually live in Saint John!  I am very familiar with both cities. Saint John is a wonderful, walkable city, beautiful waterfront, great local shopping and beautiful brownstones and parks. Lots of great restaurants and some amazing coffee shops. I really recommend Catapult Coffee & Studio as everything is baked on site, locally roasted beans, and handmade items.  We have the famous city market, one of the oldest in Canada.  Princess Street, Germain Street, King Street, Market Slip, the Loyalist Buriel Ground, all are lovely walks and close to the cruise port. I know that there is the pink double decker hop on hop off buses running and you can also take day trips to areas close by and in some cases, the trip can be an hour away. 

Halifax is Saint John on steroids. Much more populated, more shopping, more restaurants, etc. Both are hilly cities, and many beautiful tourist areas nearby. Let me know if there was somewhere in particular you were interested in.

I have toured both towns.

Each tourist has different expectations for excursions, from mild to wild.  Personally, the first time I'm in a new tourist spot, we get on a ship arranged tour, to see the biggest and quickest  view of the most points of interest.

In an atmosphere where buses might not be covid-friendly, Halifax has plenty of sites to visit just by walking.

We rented a car in Saint John. The rental car place was right by the port so it was easy to walk to. Then we got to make our own excursion. We saw the reversing falls, drove out to the Bay of Fundy and just got to explore at our own pace. We were able to beat the tour busses and avoid the crowds this way. It takes a little bit of research to find out exactly what would interest you to see.

Halifax has a lot that's walkable from the port so you don't even need to do an organized tour if you don't want to. If you want to get out to Peggy's Cove, I'd suggest arranging a tour for that.

Thanks for all of the great info!  This will be our first time not doing a cruise in the caribbean, so I guess I'm not quite sure what to expect. I have done France and when we were there we used Viator for a tour and during past cruises I have spoken with cruisers who booked things with Viator, as opposed to the ship's offerings. If there's not too much difference in price, I'll stick with RC tours but now hearing from a St. John native, sounds like it is very walkable. 

I live in Halifax and June is a beautiful time to visit.  The city itself has lots to see.  The pier is right beside Point Pleasant park, and at the top end of the waterfront boardwalk.  I have not had a bad meal at any of the spots on the waterfront.

If you feel like an excursion away from the city, Peggy's Cove is a sight not be be missed.  We also have a growing wine industry about an hour from the pier.

• 3 months later...