Seattle & Vancouver hotel recommendations

Scoular

Hi All,
My partner and I are on the Alaska cruise departing May 5th from Vancouver. We plan to fly to Seattle from the UK on 30th April, have a few days there and then either drive or the train to Vancouver on Tuesday 2nd to have a few days there before we board. Does anyone have any recommendations on nice, well located hotels in Seattle and/or Vancouver?

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Thanks, I may look into that when we go in May

I ended up booking this place as it came highly recommended on our Facebook cruise group too. Someone also mentioned they also do cruise deals, they have a lift that goes straight into the cruise terminal and also offer to take care of your luggage so you can go straight from your hotel to the ship luggage-free. 

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Pan Pacific looks really nice, but really expensive and the room layouts are not really conducive to more than 2 people (unless you're really short and can fit everyone into 2 double beds)

That’s helpful to know. We are just two average height people 😅I’ve booked it to give it a go but as fully refundable just in case!! 

6 hours ago, Scoular said:

That’s helpful to know. We are just two average height people 😅I’ve booked it to give it a go but as fully refundable just in case!! 

Helpful hint. If you call and speak to someone you can ask for a corner room with city and harbour views. The room is slightly bigger as is the bathroom. The room does not cost extra but cannot be specifically booked online. I call and ask for this everytime.

Another heads up is that while this is a luxury hotel and the location experience is unmatched (I don't believe there is another hotel anywhere in the world that has cruise ships dock literally right next to it) the hotel is getting older and some areas may show its age.

We are cruising Alaska in May as well. We are staying at the Marriott Waterfront per recommendation from our travel agent. Looks nice and close to a lot. Link below:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/seawf-seattle-marriott-waterfront/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2&y_source=1_NzQ4MDg4LTcxNS1sb2NhdGlvbi5nb29nbGVfd2Vic2l0ZV9vdmVycmlkZQ%3D%3D

27 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Good place to eat by Pike Place or SeaTac by the airport is 13 Coins. They serve breakfast, lunch, dinner when they are open, wide variety of food. https://www.13coins.com/

Thank for the recommendation! Looking forward to spending the day there before our cruise. Any idea how long the drive would be from the airport to the Marriott Waterfront? Trying to decide which is better, Uber/Lyft or Taxi?

18 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Thank for the recommendation! Looking forward to spending the day there before our cruise. Any idea how long the drive would be from the airport to the Marriott Waterfront? Trying to decide which is better, Uber/Lyft or Taxi?

Depends on the time of the day. Traffic in Seattle is terrible, if you are coming in the morning it'll be really slow about 30 to 45 minutes. Uber and Lyft are allowed to charge more for the ride to and from the airport as well as staying in the Seattle area. Strange that the city council allowed it but nowhere else can they do this? You might want to price it for Lyft since they allow it on their website.

10 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Depends on the time of the day. Traffic in Seattle is terrible, if you are coming in the morning it'll be really slow about 30 to 45 minutes. Uber and Lyft are allowed to charge more for the ride to and from the airport as well as staying in the Seattle area. Strange that the city council allowed it but nowhere else can they do this? You might want to price it for Lyft since they allow it on their website.

Yea, we get in at 10:30. I figure by the time we make it out of the airport, it will be after 11:00. I also see there is a tram option? Would you recommend that? Sure is way cheaper than taxis and Uber/Lyft from what I am seeing.

18 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Yea, we get in at 10:30. I figure by the time we make it out of the airport, it will be after 11:00. I also see there is a tram option? Would you recommend that? Sure is way cheaper than taxis and Uber/Lyft from what I am seeing.

If you are comfortable walking with luggage and taking public transportation there is a train from the airport that goes into Seattle which will end up being cheaper than Uber/Lyft.

19 hours ago, Scoular said:

I ended up booking this place as it came highly recommended on our Facebook cruise group too. Someone also mentioned they also do cruise deals, they have a lift that goes straight into the cruise terminal and also offer to take care of your luggage so you can go straight from your hotel to the ship luggage-free. 

There is also a train that goes from the airport to the hotel, or right by the hotel. You'll go all the way to Waterfront stop I believe (but you can verify that) http://thecanadaline.com/

I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront which was right next to the Pan Pacific. You can walk to the cruise port from either of those. 

17 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you are comfortable walking with luggage and taking public transportation there is a train from the airport that goes into Seattle which will end up being cheaper than Uber/Lyft.

That may be a possibility. Is the Tram/train close to the airport? The price difference I am seeing is crazy! Way cheaper to take the tram.

6 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

That may be a possibility. Is the Tram/train close to the airport? The price difference I am seeing is crazy! Way cheaper to take the tram.

There is a light rail SeaTac stop.  Follow the signs from the airport. The path goes through the parking garage if I remember correctly. Probably about a 10 minute walk to get to it.  The closest stop for the train looks to be about 7 blocks from the Marriott. 

On 1/22/2022 at 9:59 PM, Jax said:

Pan Pacific Vancouver is a beautiful property within walking distance and offers cruise packages. 

I agree.  Pan Pacific, while pricey, is our go-to in Vancouver.  It was awesome walking off the ship, and into their lobby.  Then, after checking our luggage, and asking the desk if there was an early check-in available, being assigned a room right away, and before we could get to the room, our luggage was already waiting there for us.  Service is exceptional.  

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

There is also a train that goes from the airport to the hotel, or right by the hotel. You'll go all the way to Waterfront stop I believe (but you can verify that) http://thecanadaline.com/

I stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront which was right next to the Pan Pacific. You can walk to the cruise port from either of those. 

Ah lovely!! Thanks Sharla 😊

14 minutes ago, meghanh said:

Public transit is very easy in both Seattle and Vancouver! It reminds me a lot of public transit in Japan/Taiwan. It's very easy. I second @Sharlarecommendation for both the Pan Pacific and the Waterfront in Vancouver. Sometimes the Pan Pacific prices out significantly less and they're next door to each other. 

Thank you. That’s helpful! The UK prices of Pan Pacific are expensive but about $260 USD cheaper than going direct so I booked it. The only difference being is the bag transfer isn’t included but to be honest we’ll be dragging the bags all over Seattle to Vancouver anyway, I’m sure we’ll manage down a lift to the ship. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

How easy of a process is the train from Vancouver airport?  Do people recommend getting a compass card in advance?

A compass card has an initial fee so only makes sense for local frequent riders. The train literally stops right at the airport and waterfront station is literally steps from the cruise terminal and Pan Pacific. Couldn’t be easier