Explorer - San Juan Departure - 23 Jan 2022

CruiseGus

Not doing a live blog, but due to considerable lack of details on sailings leaving from San Juan, I want to leave some information in an easy to find location where someone might look.

Flew in 2 days early, so the Covid test required within 48 hours of arriving in San Juan will not also work for boarding the ship.  We did our test, an Abbott ID Now at our local Walgreens the day before flying out.  Had to fill out a PR Travel Declaration at www.travelsafe.pr.gov  you can establish an account and login ahead of time, but you cannot create a trip until you have results of your Covid test (alternately you can take a test within 48 hours of arriving,  We decided not to do this for the simple fact we wanted a negative test before we flew down anyway).  Once you establish your account, you can enter your vaccine information and the system will save it, then the trip entry is a little easier. 

At the upper right of the home screen is a dropdown that says Vaccine that is where you can enter your infomation before your trip.  See attached file (this is a lot harder from tablet than from a computer).

When you do finaly put in your trip report and tell them its a cruise there will be a field at the very bottom for the ship name.  Not under the cruise line you select like youd expect.

When finished the will give you a QR code, which I saved.  They also sent me an email with it also.

Next post flying in info

Screenshot_20220122-134854_Chrome.jpg

Flight in info.  Landed at SJU, flight was good all conections made (hate concting flights, I'm normally a direct flight guy, but with the lack of crew I was moved.  Saw one cancelled flight on the board to SJU, but luckily it was a couple of hours after ours).

As you start to just see the baggage keep LEFT, there are NG soliders, some in tyvec coveralls assisting with checking that QR code.  Collect your LUGGAGE FIRST, then procede to one of the check out line there a many.  Have your QR code and a Photo ID ready, they will read your QR code and then take a picture of your ID for their software to record.

We then proceded like usual to get a taxi to our hotel and the first thing we did after check in was our eMed proctored test for boarding.  Negative again Yea!   Just a quick note on eMed access.  On my android devices, both phone and tablet I have been forced to use the Samsung Internet Browser.  I have the newest version of Crome on them but it does not work.  iPhone of wife no problems (just more ammunition for her in our which is better debate)

Will add boarding info tomorrow, we have an earlist boarding time, which is 1 to 1:30 in San Juan.  No Suite, No key.

Day 1 - - Arival at port and Boarding

We had a 1 to 1:30 boarding which was the earliest you could pick in the early morning the day boarding opened.

Arrived by Taxi at 12:10, dropped luggage and proceded dow terminal to serpenines set up.  Suites, Pinnacle, Key to right bypassing the almost empty anyway sepintine.  Someone? public health handed out a paper in either english or spanish that outline the entry requirements when you come back to Puerto Rico.

Before entering the sepintine they looked at your covid test and vacine card.  Walk the whole surpenine even though no one is there filling it.  Very short wait if even that at the end of sepentine.  Check Set Sail, Vax card and test results again.  Through terminal doors and security 3 or 4 scanner's can't remeber for sure.   Another 4 stations to check but this time you also had to present your Passport or Licence and Birth certificate.  Then maybe 20 stations all with the iPad type device to acctualy check you in for the cruise.  Scan one of your Set Sail passes, which bring up your record for that cabin, they then look at all documents that you listed on your checkin.  Verified Passport names, Vaccined dates and Date and Negative results of your Covid test.  from there you just proceded up the gangway and onto the ship.  Maybe 10-15 minutes total from Taxi to Ship.  2nd easiest boarding we've ever done.

We were told by other pasenger they opened the doors at Noon.  So based on recent experiances if you should up just a little before your schedule time all seems to flow smooth with the new boarding system.

20220124_120448(1).jpg

So as you can see on the above paper, the one handed out prior to boarding, reading the yellow/orange print as long as you fly out the same day you leave your cruise and your Vaxed PR places no addtional requirements on you.

I'm at day 2 when writing this we are in St Maarten and other than the normal boarding day mixups and rearanginging of eating scedule and normal adjustment its been like every other cruise.  Top tier event is tonight and i will get their version of passenger count and report that tomorrow.

Our Experience:  My travel partner and I  were denied boarding on Explorer of the Seas out of San Juan on Jan 23rd.  We had negative covid tests and no symptoms of covid.  I did indicate that I had been exposed to a friend who had become covid positive 11 days before the cruise.  When I had learned that back on January 13,  I immediately called RCCI to ask if that would be a problem.   I was told during each of  3 different phone calls that cruisers would be given the final decision at the dock but that if our covid test was negative we would “probably” be able to board.  According to my understanding and www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/probable  “probably” means “supported by evidence strong enough to establish presumption but not proof a probable hypothesis. 2 : establishing a probability probable evidence. 3 : likely to be or become true or real probable outcome.”    

Knowing it was a risk, but having received the same information 3 times from different customer service reps we left Oregon a few days early for San Juan Puerto Rico after negative tests.  We tested negative again 24 hours before the cruise.  At the dock I indicated that I had been exposed 11 days earlier and then was told that we would not be allowed boarding.  We returned  home obviously very disappointed to not take the cruise.       

However, the big issue I see is that the customer agents had not been given the best way to answer my question.  The answer they gave me indicated that more than likely we would be allowed to board if we had negative tests.  They should have said "It can be decided by the port representatives BUT the likelihood is that they will follow the 14 day guidance on the health questionnaire".  We would have made a totally different decision with an answer like that.

We are being given cruise credit for the cruise but this will obviously not take into account additional airfare and lodging for a second trip.  This amount came to approximately $1500.   I spent 2.5 hours on Jan 25 talking with customer service reps and then resolution representatives (mostly on hold and several dropped calls)  acted surprised when we were denied boarding as their understanding was that if we tested negative we would “probably” be allowed to board.  

I attempted to reach a trainee educator or inservice individual to talk with them about suggesting different phrasing for answering the question I had but this was not successful.

I reviewed some other information from the cruise line this morning (January 26).  On the Getting Ready to Cruise information page we received on December 24, there is NO notification of the 14 day exposure policy.  The ONLY place I have seen it is on the Health Questionnaire that can be found on the app but cannot be filled in until after the pre-boarding Covid test 24-48 hours prior to cruising.  By this time we were already in San Juan.  It may not even be filled in by some cruisers until they reach the port.  

I hope that Royal Caribbean can clean up these problem areas in their communication with their cruisers so that there are not others who have to endure the disappointment and monetary loss for this reason.

I also hope to join Royal Caribbean for our lost cruise and learn about their wonderful experience that they advertise.  This would have been my first cruise with you.

Also, if anyone knows how to contact someone in management it would be helpful to know how to do that! 

20 hours ago, nursecec said:

Our Experience:  My travel partner and I  were denied boarding on Explorer of the Seas out of San Juan on Jan 23rd.  We had negative covid tests and no symptoms of covid.  I did indicate that I had been exposed to a friend who had become covid positive 11 days before the cruise.  When I had learned that back on January 13,  I immediately called RCCI to ask if that would be a problem.   I was told during each of  3 different phone calls that cruisers would be given the final decision at the dock but that if our covid test was negative we would “probably” be able to board.  According to my understanding and www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/probable  “probably” means “supported by evidence strong enough to establish presumption but not proof a probable hypothesis. 2 : establishing a probability probable evidence. 3 : likely to be or become true or real probable outcome.”    

Knowing it was a risk, but having received the same information 3 times from different customer service reps we left Oregon a few days early for San Juan Puerto Rico after negative tests.  We tested negative again 24 hours before the cruise.  At the dock I indicated that I had been exposed 11 days earlier and then was told that we would not be allowed boarding.  We returned  home obviously very disappointed to not take the cruise.       

However, the big issue I see is that the customer agents had not been given the best way to answer my question.  The answer they gave me indicated that more than likely we would be allowed to board if we had negative tests.  They should have said "It can be decided by the port representatives BUT the likelihood is that they will follow the 14 day guidance on the health questionnaire".  We would have made a totally different decision with an answer like that.

We are being given cruise credit for the cruise but this will obviously not take into account additional airfare and lodging for a second trip.  This amount came to approximately $1500.   I spent 2.5 hours on Jan 25 talking with customer service reps and then resolution representatives (mostly on hold and several dropped calls)  acted surprised when we were denied boarding as their understanding was that if we tested negative we would “probably” be allowed to board.  

I attempted to reach a trainee educator or inservice individual to talk with them about suggesting different phrasing for answering the question I had but this was not successful.

I reviewed some other information from the cruise line this morning (January 26).  On the Getting Ready to Cruise information page we received on December 24, there is NO notification of the 14 day exposure policy.  The ONLY place I have seen it is on the Health Questionnaire that can be found on the app but cannot be filled in until after the pre-boarding Covid test 24-48 hours prior to cruising.  By this time we were already in San Juan.  It may not even be filled in by some cruisers until they reach the port.  

I hope that Royal Caribbean can clean up these problem areas in their communication with their cruisers so that there are not others who have to endure the disappointment and monetary loss for this reason.

I also hope to join Royal Caribbean for our lost cruise and learn about their wonderful experience that they advertise.  This would have been my first cruise with you.

Also, if anyone knows how to contact someone in management it would be helpful to know how to do that! 

Welcome to the forum.  Seems you provide a good example for all of us at this time of COVID.

Though I completely understand Royal's position here, probaly the reason they ask that question on you pre-boarding health survey along with all the other question about being sick.

DO NOT PLAN On Boarding a cruise if you report that you have been IN CONTACT with a POSATIVE person WITHIN 14 DAYS of filling out YOUR HEALTH QUESTIONARE.

another one

sailing B2B if you LINK RESERVATIONS and someone in your linked group BECOMES POSATIVE during the first week, DO NOT be surprised if YOU ARE ASKED TO LEAVE THE SHIP.  maybe these are exclusive to San Juan, but I'm sure they can happen anywhere.

Day 2  - - St Maarten - we along with Anthem both docked and later in the day Rahapsody also docked.  We did not withness any transfers but didn't spen much time looking either.

Day 3 - - Was a Sea Day.

Day 4 - - Aruba -  we personaly did a fantastic private tour with  "Trikes Aruba"

Day 5 - - Curacao - 

So NO shows cancelled yet.  All Ports so far, Vacinated could go on shore and explore on your own.  UnVaxed must take a ships tour.  Looks like this is regulated by aggreement with the ports more by Royal controlling you getting off the ship, than by the ports checking for your Vax card.

Day 6 - - will be Bonaire and I don't expect anything to be different there. 

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So much for being honest.  I’m sure these kinds of stories will lead to people fudging the truth so long as they test negative.

I agree with your statement.   To bad all the policies are not clear and enforced the same at all ports. 

In the ever evolving enviorment things are very strange and flexability along with good travel insurance is a must.

6 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Day 2  - - St Maarten - we along with Anthem both docked and later in the day Rahapsody also docked.  We did not withness any transfers but didn't spen much time looking either.

Day 3 - - Was a Sea Day.

Day 4 - - Aruba -  we personaly did a fantastic private tour with  "Trikes Aruba"

Day 5 - - Curacao - 

So NO shows cancelled yet.  All Ports so far, Vacinated could go on shore and explore on your own.  UnVaxed must take a ships tour.  Looks like this is regulated by aggreement with the ports more by Royal controlling you getting off the ship, than by the ports checking for your Vax card.

Day 6 - - will be Bonaire and I don't expect anything to be different there. 

What excursions do you recommend for St Marten? We cruise on this ship March 27 but 7 islands on 7 days. We are looking at the Adventure.

Day 6 - Bonaire - - this is the only port we have been to that they are actualy checking your Vaccine Cards after you depart the ship as you walk out of the port.

We did a wonderful Catamaran Sail and Snorkle with Woodwind.  It was wonderful with 3 excellent stops and even to the crew's surprise we were surounded by a 15-20 minute Dolphin show with more than a dozen visable at anyone time.

Our weather this week has been great with brief 5-10 minute showers in the morning on both sea days. which is natures way of making sure the loungers right by the pools open up again.  Liquid sunshine, otherwise weather has been great, really warm as we're in Southern Caribbean.

Shows have been OK in my opnion, the ice show of course and we liked the Duo Quintessence which is an aerial and acrobatic couple.  Show though in my opion are like food, each of us like different flavors and variety.  What I can say is NO shows or activities have been cancelled this week 

We have been to St Maarten some many times that at the moment I could not sugest anything,  there is plenty of info out there on that island.

Day 7 - - Sea Day and TEST Day for our B2B.   Strange, semi organized, major problem was probaly those that showed up for their test and hadn't followed instruction which slowed some things down.  Lets all get into a line close togeather with no social distance to see who can stay on board the next week.

Oh well we live through it and miraculously both tested Negative again.  I will now have one more report on what turn around for the B2B is like sometime tomorrow.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:03 PM, CathyEtch said:

CruiseGus, we were told that everyone had to test prior to debarking to go home?  Is that true?

No Not true.  I belive the only people Royal tested on ship were the B2B, consecutive cruisers and maybe some unvaxed childeren (but since i don't have any i don't know for sure)

USA Citizens - If you fly home the same day you depart the ship and are vaxcinated you can just go to the airport.

Anyone staying in PR past that day has to get a test withing 48 hours of departure on there own dime, and fill out the Travel Safe web form again for a QR code.  Aleast that what the paperwork says.

Day 8 - Debarcation - or in our case B2B consecutive cruisers.

WHAT A MESS !!  done 4 b2b in our cruise lives and the most anoying was in Galveston due to a 4 hour for delay (yes we switched cabins, so that made it worse, and we will never do that again) but after the delay the LA left us standing at CBP and walked off, while they started boarding the newly arriving guests.  

So that makes this the 2nd worst only.  What happened:  They collected old sea pass card and dinged us out, the brought cards back to us.  So far so good. 

CBP Officer showed up and we all filed past him to look at passports and Vax Cards. Yup smooth to this point also.

Sat back down and came around with the tablets, just like the did when we checking in at the terminal the Sunday before, asked health questions and verified that our Vax cards had been up loaded and passport info was correct (of course we had checked into our 2nd cruise and uploaded the info 30 days ago just like for the first week - some folks did not do this, so they had to take there pictures and i don't know what else).  Then it seemed like that process finaly ended.

Next the LA started to suffle through a big stack of sea pass card find one and appeard to be manualy checking them off a sheet of paper, she would then grag he microphone and walk to the center of the room call the name, walk over to them and hand them the cards.  Walk back to the sheet of paper look at it and shuffle through this stack of card again to find them then mark something on the paper and walk out to middle of room call name and walk over to them and hand out cards.  That seemed pretty slow,  to make it even worse in my opinion is the whole time 2 and at time 3 upper level managers (you know those with white shirts and shoulder boards with 2 or 3 gold stripes on them just stood there and watched.  Then they finaly after handing out about 20 sets of cards the told them they could go to the entrance and get dinged in (not like when we orignaly board where after the tablet we just walked on board)..  To make things worse when some of those people went up to get dinged in there card either did not match the picture or there was no picture showing and they stopped the process and took a picture again.  What a mess,  although we were toward the end in no way were we the last folks, and we left not 15 minutes before the new guest started waliking on board.

Not the eperience i had last time i did a B2B out of San Juan.  Probaly the most aggervating part to me was the managers just standing there doing nothing when they could have been handing out card while the LA checked them off, that would have increased the troughput by at least half

Anyway, I had a few drinks and am enjoying my 2nd week now.

walk off was right after 7:30 on the 30th.  

Personaly i would not book a flight prior to 11am, unless your willing to deal with the consequeces.

Day 6 and all five of our ports have been made also expect to hit St Kitts tomorrow.  Everything running smooth, food in MDR is excellent (my opinion)  good weather.  Great crew!!!