Celebrity Infinity relocates from Europe to Caribbean

steverk

Not affecting us but as frequent Celebrity cruisers, I'd see this as a real kick in the ass if I was booked on Infinity Europe this summer. I looked around the web and can't find answers to pertinent questions that involve lift and shift. For example, if I'm booked on Infinity in the Med and notice I can lift and shift to Edge, Beyond or Reflection what's the price difference and who covers that? A Millennium class ship offers fares considerably lower than the two Edge class ships that would be available. I could see a no additional fare L&S to Reflection but not Edge or Beyond. 

This move is likely capacity/demand driven, i.e., demand for cabins in Europe are down and are likely to stagnate through mid-summer. Meanwhile, demand for Caribbean itineraries probably remains strong and Infinity can be operated more profitably out of FL.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

if I'm booked on Infinity in the Med and notice I can lift and shift to Edge, Beyond or Reflection what's the price difference and who covers that? A Millennium class ship offers fares considerably lower than the two Edge class ships that would be available. I could see a no additional fare L&S to Reflection but not Edge or Beyond. 

I think your inference   is correct - there's probably a play to move people to higher capacity / revenue ships.   I think operational costs are better absorbed on the larger S and E class ships.  They can command higher rates on E class ships.   We'll be sailing the Med on Reflection in June.  Fingers crossed on what can and will happen in Europe this summer.

27 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Fingers crossed on what can and will happen in Europe this summer.

So far, the trends are suggestive they will and rapidly. The most significant obstacles to smooth traveling into and around Europe are varying boarder crossing and in country COVID related restrictions. There is no uniformity and it is choking the travel and leisure economies of countries throughout Europe. That is the one thing I'd like to see improved for non-EU citizens. EU citizens, even non-EU member states like Switzerland, have standardized digital COVID certificates that include all the pertinent information and make travel within the EU easier - COVID testing remains cumbersome but can also be entered digitally into phone apps. I have a Swiss COVID digital pass on my phone - they are not easy to get. My daughter is an EU citizen by marriage living in Lausanne. We visited in October. Without that visit and my daughter's excellent French, I doubt I would have secured it.

On 1/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, cruisellama said:

New Infinity Caribbean sailings are posted, starting with 1722312852_ScreenShot2022-01-27at6_00_37PM.thumb.png.b998f8a5fba0375e0e18e9a6b4662dc2.png June/July itineraries.    

Thanks for posting this.  The prices are higher than I would have expected given the number of cabins they need to fill.