Port Testing Appointments

teddy

Best laid plans and all that…..

We cruise on the 30th.

We had to schedule at the port of Miami tonight because our first choice tests were canceled and ten minutes ago we received emails saying our back up appointments were changed to pcr tests with extended delays for results.   We only have one proctored home test, so that won’t work for both of us. 

$105 each at Port of Miami 

When I scheduled mine there were 17 left in the time slot I chose.  When my wife registered a few minutes later, all at that time were gone and she had to choose the next earlier time. 

Moral of the story:  Have a couple back ups to your back up plan. 

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Ugh.  What a PITA !

Yea.  I hate the scrambling. 

We will be able to get tested at the port as a last resort, but we’re hoping that either the kits we ordered show up in time, or we are able to get tests Walgreens…we are going to go on their website at 12 am Tuesday and try to book, then hope any appointments we can get aren’t canceled.  

Test availability around here plummeted over the past few weeks.  

On a side note, if one of us tests positive, I’d rather do it at home instead of in Florida.  I guess If one of us does, we have the covid coverage in our trip insurance. 

If we end up having to test last minute at the port, I’ll let everyone know what the procedure is and how it does or doesn’t affect boarding. 

The instructions say to select the time slot a half hour before your scheduled check in time.  Our check in time is 1130 and I was able to get an 1100 test appt.  When my wife registered after, the latest time available was 1030, so it shouldn’t affect boarding too much. 

5 hours ago, teddy said:

We ordered a six pack last night and have fingers crossed. 

I was going to say you most likely had time to get proctored home tests deliverd, But of course you alreay took that step, that would make port testing as your backup plan.

after our first experience using local tests in august when it was even still 3 days out, the stress was to much.  I imediately ordered test from optum about 5 weeks before our Nov cruise for use on Nov and Dec cruise.  Only to recieve kits that expired 3 days before the at least valid to date on their web site and 2 days to early for our Dec cruise.  I then was able to still order from eMed before Dec cruise when the newer kits started to show up.

Bottom line I will always have on hand enough eMed kits to cover my future cruises, even if i only use them as back up, especialy now that the kit are expiring almost a year from order date.

Woke up at midnight to schedule at Walgreens to cover all the bases.   Flying down two days early now because of the potential storm coming to the northeast on Saturday.   If local tests fail and the home ones don’t arrive in time, we’ll look around Miami.  Worst case, we have the appointments at the port.