First time with connecting rooms

jbrinkm

I'm super confused & hoping someone here can help...

We have connecting rooms for the first time ever. The other two cruises we took when the kids were younger, we had a cabin with the two Pullman beds for them to sleep in. For our upcoming cruise in April, now that they are older (and bigger), we got two connecting rooms for the extra space and bathroom. But I'm clueless about how to manage this! I see a lot of questions about linked reservations (which our TA says ours are, linked) but most of them seem to be extended family, not two parents on one reservation and the two kids on the other reservation. The kids are 15 and 12, so easily capable of functioning in a separate room with connecting door, but they are also minors and I am doing all of the planning, reservations, etc. for all four of us. 

The website seems ok - I see both reservations. They have different reservation numbers - is that normal? Again, the TA assures me that they are linked but I'm not sure what that entails, exactly. If I try to book something for all four of us, I have to copy and paste the other reservation number to add them to it (like shore excursions). 

But the app only shows my kids' reservation?!? That doesn't seem right...  Why am I (the legal adult and the one who made the reservations and the holder of the RC account) not the reservation that shows up on the app? Why don't both show on the app like they do on the website? The last time we cruised was 2017, pre-app so I am really nervous about making reservations for shows, dining, anything else, with two separate reservations. Will we run into problems? How do I fix the app so it shows my reservation as primary?

Thanks!!

I did not think you could book a cabin with just 2 minors names.  I thought that one adult had to be on each reservation?  So that part I am confused about.

I know when you link reservations you will be assigned same dining room table and be able to book shows, etc. for all of you.

Yes, each cabin will have a separate reservation number.

Not sure on your other questions, but your travel agent should be able to explain it all to you.

You will always have a seperate reservation for each cabin
I cannot address why only one shows in the app.  Sign in on line and do the "add a missing cruise" link.. or "link my reservations" (that could be in the app too)..that might help to have the other reservation show in your app.

I'd recommend, if you want to only purchase one deluxe beverage package (alcohol package) and don't want it for both adults  that you change the booking so each cabin has only 1 adult in each cabin.  Otherwise each adult in the SAME cabin must buy the deluxe beverage package if one buys it (or you have to call royal caribbean to buy one alcohol package and the other adult has to get the royal refreshment package (non alcohol).  

6 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I did not think you could book a cabin with just 2 minors names.  I thought that one adult had to be on each reservation?  So that part I am confused about.

I have done this.  The room must be directly next to or across from the cabin you have.  In this case it's even better, they have the connecting door.

6 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I cannot address why only one shows in the app.  Sign in on line and do the "add a missing cruise" link.. or "link my reservations" (that could be in the app too)..that might help to have the other reservation show in your app.

I actually did that right away, and I do see both reservations on the main page when I log in online, but they don't both show up on the app (only my kids, which is really weird to me...)

I am sailing with a linked cruise to my brothers reservation.  On the app, I see my reservation.  If I click on “select a different sailing”, both our reservations show.  When I booked My Time Dining reservations, I had the option of choosing everyone from both reservations or any combination of passengers. 
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page (click on the little person on the top right of the Home Screen) it will show what reservations you are linked to.

24 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I am sailing with a linked cruise to my brothers reservation.  On the app, I see my reservation.  If I click on “select a different sailing”, both our reservations show.  When I booked My Time Dining reservations, I had the option of choosing everyone from both reservations or any combination of passengers. 
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page (click on the little person on the top right of the Home Screen) it will show what reservations you are linked to.

Thanks for the step-by-step, and it confirms that something is screwy with the way my reservations are showing up... I'm not linked there in the app and my room isn't showing as being linked either. And I can't add my room either "some reservations may not show in the app, but rest assured..." So I need to contact my TA if things don't work themselves out in the next month or so, or call for help with the app.

I have my three minor kids next door in an un-connecting room.  I tried multiple times adding their reservation to mine online and on the app and encountered way too many errors.    Costco and RC customer service agents weren't able to fix it. Eventually, I called Royal Caribbean IT and they were able to link our reservations together.

7 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I actually did that right away, and I do see both reservations on the main page when I log in online, but they don't both show up on the app (only my kids, which is really weird to me...)

For connected reservations, it’s much easier to make reservations and book excursions thru the website cruise planner ….. the app makes it much harder.

4 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Maybe, I did all mine through the app and encountered no issues except my fat fingers.

It is so tiny lol ….. even on my iPad it stays phone size …… I’m not sure why….. , MSC’s app actually gets big enough to fill up your whole screen when you use it on an iPad …… you’d think Royal would make theirs do that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

An update... I deleted the app and reinstalled it (cleared cache and data beforehand), but when I logged in again, it was the same - only showing the kids' room and not mine. I messed around with that "person" page in the app and was able to SWITCH my reservation (not add) so now the app only shows the adult room and not the kids. I'd be ok with this, as long as I knew that I could book stuff for all four of us, since we are supposedly linked. I also put in an email to my TA to see if she has encountered this and if I should contact the IT department. I'd really hate to find out this is a problem when we're first on the ship and trying to make reservations for something.

Something feels really off about having minor children in a separate room and not having a different process of "linking" than what would be used for separate adult rooms who are traveling together. My kids are pretty independent but they are not adults! I think it would be nice if there was a different type of linking - maybe called something else - when it is kids in the other room. Like one reservation with multiple rooms, or a sub-account for those reservations, rather than just linking. And I know you can get one if you ask, but it seems like you should automatically get a keycard to the kids' room as well. I know that is wishful thinking and we'll just keep trying to make sure the existing process works for us as well as it can this trip.

2 hours ago, bazingau said:

@jbrinkmI do not believe your reservations are linked correctly. Please make sure your TA is on top of this. I can see both linked rooms on my app at the same time. If you can only toggle between them but not see them together, it might mean they are not linked correctly.

Thank you. I have an email in to her, as well as Royal's customer service, so we'll see what they say! My check in is still a few weeks away, so I have a little time to get this figured out. I really appreciate all of the advice.

So everyone at Royal assures me that my reservations are linked correctly. What the customer service rep conveyed to me on the phone about the app is that my ship (Allure) hasn't been moved over to their new system yet. I don't know what new system, but that is what they told me. She said my view might change after I check in at the end of February, or it might not show everything correctly until the day of sailing. I did uninstall and reinstall (AGAIN) while on the phone with her, and I can now see my kids when I "select a different sailing" as @Pooch and @TeresaMc mentioned. So maybe it is fixed? But I still have to enter their reservation number when I go to book something - I don't just automatically see their names. Does that sound right?

I don’t know what she means by “their new system” either.  Allure is a supported ship in the app so I would think it would behave as all supported ships do.  Can I ask, do both reservations show on the website?  When I log in, I see my reservation and then my brother’s listed right below.  There is also an add a reservation button there.  This is where I access my cruise planner so I’m wondering if it works because we are linked there.  Worth a look.  Keep us posted.

@Pooch yes, I see both on the website but I did have to add my kids there once the cruise was booked (and supposedly linked during the booking process). I used their booking number, added them, and now I always see both reservations. It is only the app that is working strangely for me. But maybe it is fixed now - I am able to see both reservations in the spot you mentioned earlier. Either way, I'm going to stop stressing about it now and just wait and see! Thanks for all the help.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, jbrinkm said:

I am able to see both reservations in the spot you mentioned earlier.

Be careful when selecting your check in time.  My sister-in-law is linked to my reservation. For some reason when I click on my name her reservation shows first.  I thought I selected 11am check in for all of us, turns out it was only for her, yet my “home page@ says I’m all set for 11am. When I realized the error only 12:30 or later were available for me.

also when entering my passport info, that was fine but when I clicked to add my vaccination card it had “gone back” to sister-in-law reservation!, and I uploaded to her!  (Royal called her a week later notifying a different name was on the vaccine card)

On 2/3/2022 at 10:16 PM, Pattycruise said:

Be careful when selecting your check in time.  My sister-in-law is linked to my reservation. For some reason when I click on my name her reservation shows first.  I thought I selected 11am check in for all of us, turns out it was only for her, yet my “home page@ says I’m all set for 11am. When I realized the error only 12:30 or later were available for me.

also when entering my passport info, that was fine but when I clicked to add my vaccination card it had “gone back” to sister-in-law reservation!, and I uploaded to her!  (Royal called her a week later notifying a different name was on the vaccine card)

Oh my goodness, I didn't even think about having a problem with check in - I was only thinking about reservations on the ship. How does it work to do online check in? Can you just go from one to the other in both linked reservations, or do you have to do check in for one room and then check in for the other room. What if my kids get a different check in time than us? I'm obviously not going to leave a 15 & 12 year old (two weeks shy of 13 on this cruise, so I've been referring to him as a "teen") by themselves to handle checking in. 

If you use the app to start your check in, you can bypass everything else & go straight to arrival time.  You have to select an arrival time for each person separately.  At least I saw no other way.  I did this at 12:05am the day check in opened without a problem for 6 people across 2 reservations. If, for some strange reason, you can’t get the original time for everyone, you can go back & adjust the times to keep you all together.  I would not stress about this.  It really is very easy.

• 1 month later...