Canada RT-LMAP Test

Hi fellow Canadians!! 

Currently counting down the days until my cruise on allure in March! 

I was wondering if anyone has used the switch health RT-LAMP tests to get back into Canada after your cruise and how was your experience. I’m skeptical about getting it but it’s very convenient and a bit cheaper than finding a PCR test 

We are planning to use them when we come back from Navigator in February.  I will post then and hope all goes well!  We can order them for $149 each.  We did order the proctored antigen tests and planning to use those to fly into the US but they do not qualify to use to board the ship even though they are proctored.

20 hours ago, recogneyes said:

We are planning to use them when we come back from Navigator in February.  I will post then and hope all goes well!  We can order them for $149 each.  We did order the proctored antigen tests and planning to use those to fly into the US but they do not qualify to use to board the ship even though they are proctored.

We used the proctored antigen tests to board Harmony in December.   So unless rules have changed you should be good.  Got them from air Canada.  

Yes, those are the ones.  I thought they would be valid to board the cruise as they are proctored and then I re read the RCCL requirements which state tests must be authorized for use by the US FDA.  I contacted Switch Health and they confirmed they are not so I didn't think we would be able to use these.  This is what RCCL's website states:

• International guests sailing from the U.S. are able to complete their testing using telehealth test kits, providing the kit has been authorized for use by the U.S. FDA. Telehealth test kits obtained internationally that do not meet this requirement will not be accepted. International guests can arrange to have F.D.A.-approved test kits shipped to the U.S. address where they’ll be staying before their cruise and complete their test prior to departing for the cruise terminal using a U.S. PayPal address to complete the purchase.

We bought these to use on our upcoming cruise. Other members of the blog suggested them and I think had used them. They are listed on the switchhealth website as being suitable for re entry into Canada. One thing we realized after we got them is that they are a bit big, like the size of a half shoe box and you should carry them on so as to keep them at the right temperature on your flight down, so make sure you have some carryon space. 

we will use them in mid February, I’ll update if there are any concerns with them 

We were just about to purchase these tests from Switch Health but I thought best to do some due diligence before doing so and wanted to share what I have just  learned:

1.  I contacted Canada Border Services Agency and was adamantly told that whether you are providing a PCR, NAAT or LAMP test it must be done so in a licensed facility.  I explained that the Switch Health tests were proctored and was told they are not valid.

2.  I contacted Switch Health and was told that while their website states that they are accepted, it is up to the customer to verify and remain up to date with protocols.  As far as they were concerned, their LAMP tests are accepted upon entry back to Canada.  They did suggest I contact Public Health.

3.  I was advised by Public Health that these tests would not meet entry requirements because sample collections must be sent to a lab in order to be valid.

I find it extremely frustrating and misleading that Switch Health and Air Canada are recommending these tests when the border agency and public health are saying that they are not acceptable.  It is also not very accurately stated on the government of canada travel site that the tests must be lab based.  It simply lists the type of tests that can be used.

I suppose it may come down to which land or airport border representative you happen to get upon arrival into Canada but I don't think it's worth taking a chance unless clearer information is updated.

That is just ridiculous!  I have no others words.  But thanks so much for posting that.  

That makes the article that I linked in that other thread (the one from last week where two people tried to use the LAMP test to come back to Canada and were told to turn around) make more sense now.  Not that any of this makes sense whatsoever.

1 hour ago, recogneyes said:

We were just about to purchase these tests from Switch Health but I thought best to do some due diligence before doing so and wanted to share what I have just  learned:

1.  I contacted Canada Border Services Agency and was adamantly told that whether you are providing a PCR, NAAT or LAMP test it must be done so in a licensed facility.  I explained that the Switch Health tests were proctored and was told they are not valid.

2.  I contacted Switch Health and was told that while their website states that they are accepted, it is up to the customer to verify and remain up to date with protocols.  As far as they were concerned, their LAMP tests are accepted upon entry back to Canada.  They did suggest I contact Public Health.

3.  I was advised by Public Health that these tests would not meet entry requirements because sample collections must be sent to a lab in order to be valid.

I find it extremely frustrating and misleading that Switch Health and Air Canada are recommending these tests when the border agency and public health are saying that they are not acceptable.  It is also not very accurately stated on the government of canada travel site that the tests must be lab based.  It simply lists the type of tests that can be used.

I suppose it may come down to which land or airport border representative you happen to get upon arrival into Canada but I don't think it's worth taking a chance unless clearer information is updated.

What it comes down to is the federal government is doing everything possible to make international travel difficult and confusing. I’m not sure what the objective is but the result is extremely confusing.

And to complicate everything even more... my son tested positive last week on an antigen test - twice (one proctered switch test).   We couldn't get a PCR test because the province (BC - but we're not alone in this) is no longer testing.   So - when we go to Mexico in March, will he test positive on a PCR test.   He likely will, but maybe he won't.   So now I have to shell out for a test at home now before we go to avoid needing a test when we come home (as long as he comes up positive now).   Otherwise he will need a test when we come home and could still come up positive???   And if he tests positive in Mexico will they make him quarantine?   Make sense?  No?   Shocking.   This whole border PCR test is absolutely ridiculous - especially when we look at the number of people who got Omicron and the very very few who were able to obtain a PCR test.    My head is exploding.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is just ridiculous!  I have no others words.  But thanks so much for posting that.  

That makes the article that I linked in that other thread (the one from last week where two people tried to use the LAMP test to come back to Canada and were told to turn around) make more sense now.  Not that any of this makes sense whatsoever.

Ridiculous is the perfect word for all of this!  I still think it may come down to which border agent you get but risking hundreds of dollars to find out doesn't seem like the best option.  Thank you for posting the article about the fellow who had the issue at the land border because that helps to confirm that it's not an acceptable test.  My guess is that we would have more luck at the airport due to Air Canada recommending and Switch Health selling (being based in Mississauga) but until I see it in writing that it is actually approved by the Canadian government and public health, I am going to hold off on purchasing.  As an aside - RCCL did tell me that the Switch Health at home rapid antigen tests "should" be ok for boarding the cruise ship but it is up to me to prove these tests are approved for emergency use by the FDA.  

On 1/22/2022 at 11:52 AM, DJsMrs said:

We used the proctored antigen tests to board Harmony in December.   So unless rules have changed you should be good.  Got them from air Canada.  

I'm glad you were able to use them - that gives us hope because we have ordered them to use next month.  I called RCCL and they said to ensure they are US FDA approved for emergency use.  When I phoned Switch Health they said they didn't think they were and it was up to travellers to determine acceptability wherever they are going.  There's another thread where one of the members included info which shows that they are approved (I can't find it off hand) so here's hoping that will be the case.

3 hours ago, DJsMrs said:

And to complicate everything even more... my son tested positive last week on an antigen test - twice (one proctered switch test).   We couldn't get a PCR test because the province (BC - but we're not alone in this) is no longer testing.   So - when we go to Mexico in March, will he test positive on a PCR test.   He likely will, but maybe he won't.   So now I have to shell out for a test at home now before we go to avoid needing a test when we come home (as long as he comes up positive now).   Otherwise he will need a test when we come home and could still come up positive???   And if he tests positive in Mexico will they make him quarantine?   Make sense?  No?   Shocking.   This whole border PCR test is absolutely ridiculous - especially when we look at the number of people who got Omicron and the very very few who were able to obtain a PCR test.    My head is exploding.

I know how you feel - it is all so very exhausting.  In Ontario, we don't have much access to PCR tests either.  It's basically if you have symptoms, assume you have covid.  The kids are sent home with a few antigen tests to use if needed but beyond that, getting any kind of test is difficult.  I hope you son feels ok.

15 hours ago, recogneyes said:

Thanks for this information ……will look into other choices as well for post testing. This is not something I want to roll the dice with when I get to the border unless things change by March.  

15 hours ago, recogneyes said:

I know how you feel - it is all so very exhausting.  In Ontario, we don't have much access to PCR tests either.  It's basically if you have symptoms, assume you have covid.  The kids are sent home with a few antigen tests to use if needed but beyond that, getting any kind of test is difficult.  I hope you son feels ok.

Pretty much - they've even stopped handing out the antigen tests here... so I shelled out $200 yesterday for a PCR test so we at least have some paperwork for him.   I'm hoping he comes back positive and we can use it for travel for the next six months while the government figures out what is happening.   At some point they're going to have to look at the efficacy of the PCR if people can test positive for 90 days post infection.    If I'm positive now and am asymptomatic - I could potentially test positive in six weeks when I travel and then have to quarantine when it's not even a real covid diagnosis.   The virus has changed, the pandemic has changed, but the policy has not changed and it's so frustrating to feel like we're being punished when we have literally done everything right.   ugh.

14 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

Pretty much - they've even stopped handing out the antigen tests here... so I shelled out $200 yesterday for a PCR test so we at least have some paperwork for him.   I'm hoping he comes back positive and we can use it for travel for the next six months while the government figures out what is happening.   At some point they're going to have to look at the efficacy of the PCR if people can test positive for 90 days post infection.    If I'm positive now and am asymptomatic - I could potentially test positive in six weeks when I travel and then have to quarantine when it's not even a real covid diagnosis.   The virus has changed, the pandemic has changed, but the policy has not changed and it's so frustrating to feel like we're being punished when we have literally done everything right.   ugh.

Same here in Ontario - no antigen tests to be found.  You can't even buy them at any pharmacies.  The PCR testing is only if you are symptomatic and even then they are so backlogged.  I agree you're best bet is if your son shows positive on the PCR and then you can use that for him to travel.  It is just so maddening when we are doing everything right - first shot, second shot, boosters, lockdowns etc etc and then they still screw us around and make it so stressful to try to travel.  I guess that's the point - they don't want us going anywhere.  Just have to keep planning and being as best prepared as we can.

My son tested positive for Covid via home test 3 days after I got my PCR test back Dec 26th (positive), so I didn’t test him b/c it was a disaster trying to get myself tested.

So should I test him now via PCR to see if he’s showing positive, so we don’t find out a day prior and we can’t fly? 

People were saying the Antigen tests won’t show a positive result 3 mths out, so it didn’t cross my mind about the PCR that needs to be done coming home. 

49 minutes ago, Jen W said:

My son tested positive for Covid via home test 3 days after I got my PCR test back Dec 26th (positive), so I didn’t test him b/c it was a disaster trying to get myself tested.

So should I test him now via PCR to see if he’s showing positive, so we don’t find out a day prior and we can’t fly? 

People were saying the Antigen tests won’t show a positive result 3 mths out, so it didn’t cross my mind about the PCR that needs to be done coming home. 

Personally, in that situation, I would get a lab PCR test for him ASAP and use that to come back to Canada (as long as it is more than 11 days past positive, you can use that to come back and not have to worry testing post cruise).  Then 2 days pre-cruise, I would go get an antigen test to sail because likely enough time will have passed by that the antigen test won't come back as positive.  

56 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Personally, in that situation, I would get a lab PCR test for him ASAP and use that to come back to Canada (as long as it is more than 11 days past positive, you can use that to come back and not have to worry testing post cruise).  Then 2 days pre-cruise, I would go get an antigen test to sail because likely enough time will have passed by that the antigen test won't come back as positive.  

In theory this would work.   I just paid 200 for a PCR 7 days after a positive antigen test.    Son had minor symptoms- PCR came back inconclusive.    I guess this is what happens “when the patient is going into or coming out of a Covid infection”.    So just be prepared to shell out and be in the same place of not knowing.   

I’m so ready for this to end!

3 hours ago, Jen W said:

Jeez that’s a tough one since it’s been a month since he tested positive.  It’s anyone guess if he will still test positive on a PCR test but it still may be worth peace of mind knowing.  Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Then 2 days pre-cruise, I would go get an antigen test to sail because likely enough time will have passed by that the antigen test won't come back as positive.  

Agreed, hubby tested negative on an at home antigen test 2 weeks after a positive PCR test. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Thanks! Got him tested and it came back Negative, so guess I will be out another $200 in March to another test. 

I also found out that Travel Canada will not just accept the Positive Result that you get online, you need an official document which lists DOB, Name, Civic address of Test Lab, Method of Test and Results - no doc note either. Spent all day trying to obtain this document as no one knew what I was talking about! So frustrating! 

1 hour ago, Jen W said:

Thanks! Got him tested and it came back Negative, so guess I will be out another $200 in March to another test. 

I also found out that Travel Canada will not just accept the Positive Result that you get online, you need an official document which lists DOB, Name, Civic address of Test Lab, Method of Test and Results - no doc note either. Spent all day trying to obtain this document as no one knew what I was talking about! So frustrating! 

Shocking - Canada not making anything easy when it comes to travelling.  It is really getting beyond exhausting isn't it.  Not only is it extremely hard to get a PCR test, now  you can't get the required documentation.  So far the cheapest rapid PCR testing I can find for coming back is CVS $129 and results in about an hour.  

52 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

Shocking - Canada not making anything easy when it comes to travelling.  It is really getting beyond exhausting isn't it.  Not only is it extremely hard to get a PCR test, now  you can't get the required documentation.  So far the cheapest rapid PCR testing I can find for coming back is CVS $129 and results in about an hour.  

If you don't mind, what is CVS? Not sure what port you are coming into, but we will be in Fort Lauderdale and it seems they all run over $180 US - I know Walgreens will do free testing, but who can wait 24-48 hours 😞

2 hours ago, Jen W said:

I also found out that Travel Canada will not just accept the Positive Result that you get online, you need an official document which lists DOB, Name, Civic address of Test Lab, Method of Test and Results

I did expect that. There are times when I am not a fan of being Canadian.  This is one of them.

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I did expect that. There are times when I am not a fan of being Canadian.  This is one of them.

Agree, but they make it nearly impossible to obtain this document. I can't even tell you how many hoops I had to jump through and NO ONE, not even my doctor knew what I was talking about. I finally found an email address for public access to personal lab records, and had to request through them. I was honestly surprised that someone even emailed me back - LOL. But I will do what I need to save $$ 

3 hours ago, Jen W said:

Agree, but they make it nearly impossible to obtain this document. I can't even tell you how many hoops I had to jump through and NO ONE, not even my doctor knew what I was talking about. I finally found an email address for public access to personal lab records, and had to request through them. I was honestly surprised that someone even emailed me back - LOL. But I will do what I need to save $$ 

I am at the point where if I am pretty sure that if I, or any member of my household has covid, we will pay for a private PCR test. That has all the necessary info, lowest stress option.

I will not likely go through the province. I know what online document you are referring to when you go through the province. Being in healthcare, Hubby has had to get tested multiple times already and one of my kids had an exposure back in December that she got tested for. There is no info on that provincial online result. Meanwhile, in November when we went to NYC and did private PCR, the results doc had everything. 

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/my-experience-using-the-switch-health-rt-lamp-test-kit/

I found a blog of the Switch Health RT-LAMP test with step by step instructions as well as the final documentation provided. 

A friend who works at one of Toronto's Airports said based on the results in this blog, she would deem it acceptable. It does not show it was completed virtually. 

I will be using this test (assuming a slight risk as BCSA deems unacceptable according to above post), and look forward to other posts for those returning soon. 

10 hours ago, Cruising12345 said:

Really!?! I was looking into the tests at the airport and it was only showing $160 US per person…. 

Good news, they mistakenly told me it was per person, but when I checked with them this morning they said it was $160 pp. Still pricey with the exchange rate but the results are fast. 

20 hours ago, Jen W said:

If you don't mind, what is CVS? Not sure what port you are coming into, but we will be in Fort Lauderdale and it seems they all run over $180 US - I know Walgreens will do free testing, but who can wait 24-48 hours 😞

CVS is a big pharmacy chain.  They offer a variety of covid tests and from what I can gather, one option is the RAPID PCR test for $129 which is cheaper than most airports seem to be offering them for.  You do have to book ahead and they say results in about an hour.  As you mentioned, we don't want to wait days to receive our results so this is one option.

7 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

CVS is a big pharmacy chain.  They offer a variety of covid tests and from what I can gather, one option is the RAPID PCR test for $129 which is cheaper than most airports seem to be offering them for.  You do have to book ahead and they say results in about an hour.  As you mentioned, we don't want to wait days to receive our results so this is one option.

I did google CVS and found the pharmacy, but every time you click to schedule and appt it keeps looping you back to the pre-screen section which then goes back to select a location. In researching other pharmacies, they advertise the lowest price but once you get to schedule your appt the price increases for the rapid tests. Most are $200 for a 2-3 hour turn around time. You may want to confirm the $135 is for rapid PCR and not standard 1-2 day turn around time so you don't get a shock upon arrival.   

30 minutes ago, Jen W said:

I did google CVS and found the pharmacy, but every time you click to schedule and appt it keeps looping you back to the pre-screen section which then goes back to select a location. In researching other pharmacies, they advertise the lowest price but once you get to schedule your appt the price increases for the rapid tests. Most are $200 for a 2-3 hour turn around time. You may want to confirm the $135 is for rapid PCR and not standard 1-2 day turn around time so you don't get a shock upon arrival.   

When I called their 1-800  line to inquire about options they told me that it is definitely a Rapid PCR test and results in about an hour.  Not all locations offer this and I did not ask about particular cities or states which offer this test.  I'm guessing it is limited availability.

I was able to chat with someone from FFL Airport and got the fees. 

Are you flying out of FLL airport and planning to get tested there? 

Yes

The Rapid RT-PCR test cost is $159, and it is a fixed price. You will receive the results within 30 minutes.

The RT-PCR test cost is $99.00 tax included. The result will be available in 24-48 hours-maximum of 72 hours (3 days).

The Rapid Antigen test cost is $59.00 tax included. The expected result will be available within 1 hour.

We accept credit cards. If you don’t have a credit card, there is a machine located in the airport where you can purchase a prepaid credit card. A staff member on-site can direct you to that machine.

We are open from 7 am - 9 pm Eastern time, 7 days a week.

It is located in Terminal 3, next to American Airlines and JetBlue Baggage claim.

To be tested, please schedule an appointment on our website: https://mdc.nomihealth.com/signup/fll. Please bring a valid ID.

That would be the information for FLL airport.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Thank you

2:29 PM

Crisna Sarsaba

You're welcome! Please don't hesitate to reach us back if you have other questions or concerns. Have a great day and stay safe!

I just made the same phone calls all over again and was told the same thing.   CBSA says it's ok to follow the advice of your airline (ie Air Canada) and they will likely let us board with the Switch Health LAMP kit however, if Public Health deems it not acceptable then they can force quarantine and a fine.  I mentioned that many of the airports in Canada are still enforcing mandatory testing upon arrival and wouldn't we just have to get another test anyway.  I was told not necessarily, you could simply be forced to quarantine and be fined.  I called Public Health and they will not confirm that the proctored tests are acceptable.  I told both agencies that a clear reference on this should be made on the Canadian travel website but I doubt that's going to happen.  It really may come down to which border services agent you get and how they decipher the tests.  We are going to bypass and just do testing at the airports when flying and private clinics in the US when driving and be done with it.