Why do ships have Dedicated Conference Rooms?

So I was glancing at some of the ship maps and most of the ships (if not all) have dedicated Conference Rooms.

I have peeked into these conference rooms when sailing and everytime I have sailed, they are not being used.

So why do these exist if they are not used often?  Why not create some sort of Flex Space when the rooms aren't needed, something else can be done in these rooms?

Just a thought...

9 minutes ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

So I was glancing at some of the ship maps and most of the ships (if not all) have dedicated Conference Rooms.

I have peeked into these conference rooms when sailing and everytime I have sailed, they are not being used.

So why do these exist if they are not used often?  Why not create some sort of Flex Space when the rooms aren't needed, something else can be done in these rooms?

Just a thought...

There are actually quite a few cruise conferences that occur on ships across many lines. I've also heard of "team retreats" that occur.  I suspect they get used enough to make them justified and in most cases there is so much other stuff to do, that changing the space may not make sense.  They also tend to be in low traffic areas of the ship, so maybe that's it as well.

In addition to the conferences mentioned above, they have other uses as well.

3 years ago, we received an invitation by RC to participate in a survey session on Freedom early on embarkation day. A representative asked us and another couple about our thoughts and impressions on several current and potential cruising aspects in one of the conference rooms and we were compensated with a AmEx gift card. Snacks and refreshments were also served. The whole thing was about 15-20 minutes of our time.

They had arranged for several small groups to participate throughout the day until time of sailing.

We sail with a group called Autism on the Seas.  The group uses the conference room all week as a meet up place, place for quiet, and for respite so parents can get a break while our exceptional children (and adult children) are well cared for by trained volunteer staff.

PS - The RCL staff is amazing with our kiddos at various venues.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:12 PM, Riversong518 said:

I travel with a group that uses one! We have use of it the whole trip, but realistically it’s only used a few hours a day so would often appear to not being in use at all. I have seen others in use as well. 

Exactly what she said...  I'm the organizer and group leader of the group she's referring to, and we, and other groups as well, definitely do make hood use of that space from time to time.  Having this dedicated space set aside for such uses also lessens the frequency of having to take a normal bar or show lounge out of service for a private function, if it can be done in the meeting space area instead.  Over the years on many cruises I have also seen this space used for staff training purposes by the cruise line itself.  In the case of our own group, we do a meet the Stars celebrity/fan vacation group with various cast and crew members of the long running (almost 59 years now!) BBC TV series Doctor Who, and among other things, we have creative workshop sessions in the conference rooms, and also generally have an end of the trip wrap party there as well.  Additionally, some of our actors or production behind the scenes people also wish to give a professional presentation, where once again the conference rooms are ideally suited to that with proper seating and audio visual display equipment already there.  Barring any additional unexpected surprises from covid restrictions, our group will be sailing on Vision Of The Seas with an 11 night Central and South American itinerary departing on the 18th of April this year, and looking further down the line we are just formulating plans now to be on a 7 night Western Caribbean Voyage aboard Wonder Of The Seas in October of 2023.  By the way, not all cruise lines have these dedicated meeting areas, and I can say that the fact that Royal Caribbean DOES have them is one major factor in why we are repeat cruisers with them.  Anyone interested in checking out the past present or future information on our event, including a ton of fun and free to view videos for the benefit of charity, can check us out at our official event website located at www.scificruise.com