Covid-19 Insurance Canadian

Ed MacLean

Did your insurance policies cover you even though the Canadian Government has a Level 4 Advisory against cruise travel? We cruise Oasis Feb 13 out of Miami, so I realize the advisory may change beforehand, but I have been noticing most plans will not cover COVID issues if I decide to still cruise with the Level 4 advisory in place. Thanks for any info you can provide!

6 hours ago, recogneyes said:

We purchased insurance through Manulife for our cruise a few weeks ago:

https://www.manulife.ca/personal/insurance/our-products/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians.html

Here's wording from my policy on the travel advisory - you would still be covered for covid-related expenses.   

2. Any expenses due to an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada stating "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your departure date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. Exception: This exclusion does not apply for claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary if you have received the vaccine. Children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, are covered when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.

11 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

We chose the Pandemic Plan as our Visa card provides the other insurance benefits that the all inclusive plan would include.  Like you mentioned, we were looking to fill the quarantine element as our credit card does not cover for that.

Yeah, our Visa and work coverage covers some of that other stuff too.  I do like the idea though of the all inclusive instead of piecing a bit here and there.  The other reason I took a look at the all inclusive as well is because I am considering buying a multi-trip plan for the rest of our travel this year.  One of those trips is Anthem to Norway....I cannot decide what to do.

That is worth considering for sure then.  I tried calling Manulife before we purchased to try to get some advice on what would offer the best for the least amount of money.  We have a few cruises booked so thought the all inclusive might be the best choice.  Waited on hold for hours and never got through so we just purchased for our last cruise and will do again for our February one.  The online site is pretty easy to navigate so I guess you could price it out a few different ways and see what works best but with your CC offering a lot of the other insurance it's likely a lot more money than you need to spend. I'm assuming your Anthem cruise is sometime this summer - perhaps we won't require quarantine upon coming back to Canada by then?  So many unknowns for sure.

2 hours ago, recogneyes said:

The online site is pretty easy to navigate so I guess you could price it out a few different ways and see what works best but with your CC offering a lot of the other insurance it's likely a lot more money than you need to spend. I'm assuming your Anthem cruise is sometime this summer - perhaps we won't require quarantine upon coming back to Canada by then?  So many unknowns for sure.

That is what I spent most of the afternoon doing today (pricing out different scenarios). The multi trip all inclusive seems to be the better deal if I compare it to insuring each cruise over the next year individually, even though it’s a bigger chunk upfront. And yes, the thought did cross my mind that travel rules might relax by summer but then I might be kicking myself if it doesn’t. I might give it a few weeks and then decide. I have 7 weeks (from today) till next cruise. 

16 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Looking into the Manulife Cover Me plan as well.  Debating between the Covid 19 Pandemic Plan or the All Inclusive policy.  I mainly want the insurance in case of unexpected quarantine.  Any thoughts of one over the other, other than cost?

I spoke with a Manulife rep.  They told me their standard All-Inclusive plan will not cover COVID-related quarantine expenses while there is an official travel advisory issued by the Canadian Government states, "Avoid non-essential travel/ avoid all travel", prior to departure.  That's why we went with the Manulife Pandemic Travel Plan.  We also have a credit card that will cover Trip Cancellation & Interruption for other reasons.

We were going to go with the Multi-trip All-Inclusive plan before speaking with the rep.  Will explore those options again once things calm down a bit.  Going with the Pandemic Plan for the next few trips.  Saves us some calling back and forth to the insurance company when/if Canada lifts/re-instates those travel advisories.

1 hour ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

I spoke with a Manulife rep.  They told me their standard All-Inclusive plan will not cover COVID-related quarantine expenses while there is an official travel advisory issued by the Canadian Government states, "Avoid non-essential travel/ avoid all travel", prior to departure.  That's why we went with the Manulife Pandemic Travel Plan.  We also have a credit card that will cover Trip Cancellation & Interruption for other reasons.

We were going to go with the Multi-trip All-Inclusive plan before speaking with the rep.  Will explore those options again once things calm down a bit.  Going with the Pandemic Plan for the next few trips.  Saves us some calling back and forth to the insurance company when/if Canada lifts/re-instates those travel advisories.

Thanks for that info!  That pretty much decides it right there for me! I just found it odd yesterday that when I priced it out online, the quote was $76.25 for all 4 of us for the Pandemic plan.  Seems too good to be true, hopefully I am not missing something.

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Thanks for that info!  That pretty much decides it right there for me! I just found it odd yesterday that when I priced it out online, the quote was $76.25 for all 4 of us for the Pandemic plan.  Seems too good to be true, hopefully I am not missing something.

I believe if you did the Family Coverage for the Pandemic Plan, they charge premiums only for the adults and the dependents are at no additional charge.  

Thanks for this thread.  We had purchased Blue Cross for our last planned cruise as Royal covered quarantine costs and PCR test was done onboard, but will look into the Manulife Pandemic Plan if we decide to go in March.  So good to know as don't remember seeing plans that covered quarantine in the past.  Not sure if this is new.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We had the same reaction when we purchased for our family a few weeks ago - it was about $85 for the duration of our trip (family of 5).  I input all our information twice in case I had made an error the first time but that was in fact the pricing.  

5 hours ago, recogneyes said:

We had the same reaction when we purchased for our family a few weeks ago - it was about $85 for the duration of our trip (family of 5).  I input all our information twice in case I had made an error the first time but that was in fact the pricing.  

That makes me feel a bit better seeing that your quote was $85 for 5 and I have one less. Still seems too good to be true lol

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That makes me feel a bit better seeing that your quote was $85 for 5 and I have one less. Still seems too good to be true lol

I feel the exam same way.  Kept checking the dependants clause and particulars but it seems to be the way they work it.  Would still feel better if I actually spoke to someone.  Will try that again and post if I do.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:33 AM, Rose City Cruiser said:

Question about the Manulife Covid 19 Pandemic Plan .  My husband started looking into this and he has a concern that it won't cover quarantine just from a positive PCR test (and Canadians not allowed to reutrn to Canada due to potential fine).  The policy states it covers if "you have been advised by a medical professional to self isolate or quarantine".  Does anyone know?  Do we need a doctor's note (from our current destination which won't be possible) in order to be covered for quarantine expenses?  Or is a positive PCR test plus the fact that we need to return to Canada enough?  In our case we are driving so we can in theory cross the border but with a very large fine.

58 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Question about the Manulife Covid 19 Pandemic Plan .  My husband started looking into this and he has a concern that it won't cover quarantine just from a positive PCR test (and Canadians not allowed to reutrn to Canada due to potential fine).  The policy states it covers if "you have been advised by a medical professional to self isolate or quarantine".  Does anyone know?  Do we need a doctor's note (from our current destination which won't be possible) in order to be covered for quarantine expenses?  Or is a positive PCR test plus the fact that we need to return to Canada enough?  In our case we are driving so we can in theory cross the border but with a very large fine.

Medical professional is any person licensed or certified to provide healthcare.  So a physician, nurse, pharmacist, etc. can advise you to quarantine/self-isolate.  I assume the insurance provider will require proof.

1 hour ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Medical professional is any person licensed or certified to provide healthcare.  So a physician, nurse, pharmacist, etc. can advise you to quarantine/self-isolate.  I assume the insurance provider will require proof.

Thanks.  So you mean wherever we get the PCR test done, they should provide a letter stating why quarantine is required? I wonder which places would do so?  e.g. the cruise port?  CVS?  airport?

11 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks.  So you mean wherever we get the PCR test done, they should provide some kind of letter that we need to quarantine?

I called them.  They said if the facility is will to give a note/letter advising to quarantine, call their emergency assistance number on the policy documents.  They can direct you to an urgent care centre where a physician can write a note.