UDP Pricing Question - Ovation of the Seas

CruisingNewb

Hello all!

I am new to Royal Caribbean cruising although I have been on other cruises.

I just booked an Alaskan cruise and have a question about the UDP pricing.

The RC site states an "up to 55%" discount on the UDP and lists $169.00/person.  However, the site fails to state what the original price per person per day is.  In otherwords, how do I figure out how much of a deal I am getting by paying $169.00/person?  

For example, if the price was originally $30 per person, per day, for a 7 night trip, the total price would be $210.  If the sale price is $169, then we are talking about a 20% discount.  

Does anyone know what the actual UDP pricing is?

Ignore the percent off, it's meaningless.  The UDP is always less money if you buy it ahead of the time on the Cruise Planner.  If you want it, buy it now (before it sells  out, and it often does), and then just watch for price drops (actual price drops, not % - just look at the bottom-line price).

Typically you'll find it at $25-29 per person per day plus gratuities.

18 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Ignore the percent off, it's meaningless.

It's possible the  "% OFF" is how much you're saving if you otherwise paid on-board cover charge every night. 

• On our Anthem sailing last December, UDP floated between $189 and $210. 
  • On our upcoming Oasis sailing in October, UDP is going between $167 and $188. 
20 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Does anyone know what the actual UDP pricing is?

I imagine it fluctuates from ship-to-ship depending on the specialty offerings.

I love Math, I love how exact it is - 25% of 100 will always be 25.  That is the reason why I have long given up on the so-called "Royal Math."   My approach to purchasing these packages is determining if I feel comfortable paying the posted price on drinks or on dinners. If I do, then I make the purchase.  If a lower price shows up, I reprice.  If not, I'm all good.

The discount off figure is based on booking each of the specialty dining at their onboard rates.  However the venues have different prices.  Each of us with the UDP will end up using a different combination of venues. 

If I ate only in the same most expensive restaurant for all nights of the cruise I can reach 55% off. 

If I ate only in the least expensive especially venue for all nights of the cruise I wouldn't reach 55% off.

Somewhere in between the two extremes is where most people will land with the UDP based on their selection of restaurants for their cruise.  Consequently we see the "up to" verbiage.

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

So if I miss the first window to purchase the UDP, and it has gone up by $10, will it continue to go up if I miss this next window?

I have already unloaded a ton of money and don't quite have the funds to reserve the UDP yet.

It changes about every 3-5 days on average.  Once one "sale" ends, a new one will begin.  Often I have noticed it's the same/similar sale just worded differently.

But as SpeedNoodles pointed out, it can and does sell out.