Any Americans doing Western Mediterannean this summer?

KJ1231

My wife and younger daughter just returned from Caribbean (Miami, Nassau, Coco Cay, Miami) on Freedom and had a great time.

My wife and older daughter have booked Vision OTS, 7/28-8/5, in the Western Med. I have begged them to start looking at Covid requirements at each port (Nice, Provence, Corsica, Portofino, Rome, Palermo) as well as Barcelona where they sail from. They think because they are vaxxed and boostered that they are all set. I think I saw where Italy currently requires booster in the last 6 months which they won't have and currently not able to get another booster.

I saw where @twangster has put off Europe sailings and wondering if anyone is actually flying to Europe and attempting to sail this summer?

To be honest - I'm only just getting back to looking at the blog since I won't be able to sail until they open it up to the unvaxxed. Scrambling to help them now....

• KJ1231 changed the title to Any Americans doing Western Mediterannean this summer?

My wife and I are booked on Wonder of the Seas for June 5th. We've been pretty vigilant about everything cruise related for this trip (that also includes mainland stops), so here is my view:

• Buy travel insurance and trip protection. I'm normally opposed to both of these for frequent travelers, because it costs more in the long run, but these are exceptional circumstances. 
  • Anything is possible. Everything could shut down again between now and this summer. Be prepared for that possibility and know your options.
  • 6 months is a long time in a Covid world. We have seen huge dips and massive spikes in case counts and fatality counts in just the past 6 months. I would take any current requirements as directional only. Track them, but make no assumptions about what they will be this summer. 
  • I do agree that they need to verify the requirements for all the ports - but RCL will also be doing this, and they will either set their guidelines to the strictest of those requirements or skip the port. It is highly unlikely that they will need to verify anything at the ports themselves. The ship will essentially declare the status of everyone on board to the port authority, who will decide whether the ship is allowed to port or not.

Basically, as long as they are aware of the risks and understand that there is every likelihood that their trip could be cancelled, I don't see any reason to try to convince them not to go. If they intend to keep up with their vaccination status, they'll be set for whatever vaxx requirements there are wherever they go. It will really come down to whether EU countries are allowing US visitors at that time - and given how much stress has been on the EU tourism industry, my guess is that they will be. 

Check government websites of countries being visited to make sure you are aware of the latest up to date regulations or restrictions that may be in place. 

Also Numerous European countries have measures in place where you must show proof of vaccine along with Photo ID to gain entry to cafes, bars or other tourist attractions. 

Most if not all European Countries have been open to visitors for months now, this includes visitors from US. Not sure if any isolation would be required on returning to US 

2 hours ago, VoidoftheSeas said:
  • I do agree that they need to verify the requirements for all the ports - but RCL will also be doing this, and they will either set their guidelines to the strictest of those requirements or skip the port. It is highly unlikely that they will need to verify anything at the ports themselves. The ship will essentially declare the status of everyone on board to the port authority, who will decide whether the ship is allowed to port or not.

This seems like the most logical approach for RCCL (we are on the same sailing!) - it would not make sense to have (adult) passengers on board who do not meet the requirements of the countries visited. It would be a logistical nightmare trying to figure out who could get off at which port.

Kids are probably another matter as not all countries have the same availability/approval depending on age group.