Expiration Extension BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test

TelecomTom

I bought an abundance of at home tests for a November 21 cruise and found that their expiration was January, 2022.  I've held on to them due to the testing shortages.

I came across a letter from various sources today that the expiration had been extended another 3 months.  See below.  This should extend me through early April.  I've written to eMed to see if they are honoring this extension for their supervised testing.

If anyone has any additional info, it will be appreciated.  I'll let you know when I hear back from eMed.

EUA-abbott-bNOWHome-Rev-2022-01-07.pdf

We sail on May 2nd on The Anthem of The Seas. I ordered my kits through E-Med on Wednesday and they arrived Fed Ex today. The lot date on mine is 12-27-21 and the expiration date is 11-21-22.  The box is stamped DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTUCTED TO DO SO. I super hope E-Med is not a scam. I got the six pack. I also have (3) Ellume kits. There are 3 of us traveling on a transatlantic cruise. Our departure is in South Hampton England. We will be flying back to the States for London. I sure hope all goes well with this:) 

28 minutes ago, nmdaisy said:

We sail on May 2nd on The Anthem of The Seas. I ordered my kits through E-Med on Wednesday and they arrived Fed Ex today. The lot date on mine is 12-27-21 and the expiration date is 11-21-22.  The box is stamped DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTUCTED TO DO SO. I super hope E-Med is not a scam. I got the six pack. I also have (3) Ellume kits. There are 3 of us traveling on a transatlantic cruise. Our departure is in South Hampton England. We will be flying back to the States for London. I sure hope all goes well with this:) 

BB1 is right.  eMed tests are the way to go and the people were very helpful in walking you through the test.  DO NOT OPEN the test as it says, otherwise they won't pass you as it voids the test!

One thing that concerns me is where you depart and you return.  I don't know if the UK will accept these to get on board or how far in advance you need to do them.   It's complicated even more with your flight times/durations.  Check the Royal site and check the CDC and UK requirements.  You may also check past posts on RoyalCaribbeanBlog and google for other articles.  Clearly, I'm not up to date on these things but a lot of warning bells are going off.

Okay, I heard back from eMed.  Much to our surprise they replied in a timely manner!  Response is below:

Thank you for contacting eMed. 

I understand you may have some concerns about the expiration date on your BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card  HOME TEST kits.  

The BinaxNow COVID-19 test kits were originally made in a bulk in late 2020 thru early 2021 and was approved for testing by the FDA under the EUA (Emergency Use Authorization).  The test kits have an original expiration date of September 2021, October 2021, and November 2021.  Effective immediately, these expiration dates have since been extended for an additional 6 months by the FDA making the new expiration dates **March 2022, April 2022, and May 2022. 

**The new expiration date will be determined by the date you have on each test kit. Please take a look at second line of the white label to find the original expiration date. Once you locate the original expiration date, you can add an additional 6 months to that date. 

For example, if if your current expiration date is September 6, 2021, your new expiration date is now March 6, 2022.

Please note, if your purchase was made on or after December 1, 2021, you should have received test kits with an expiration date in October 2022 or November 2022.  These particular kits are not under the extension at this time since they were just recently manufactured.

When you are ready to test, please visit www.emed.com and click on "start testing".  Once your test kit expiration date falls within the afore mentioned dates, you will be able to test with no issues.

For more information regarding the extension date extension, you may visit www.fda.gov or click on the actual link to the FDA extension letter:  https://www.fda.gov/media/155326/download

Thank you for choosing eMed.

I am wondering how long Royal Caribbean or other cruise lines will continue to require negative tests as one of the requirements to board their ships?  There no way to predict if the future holds a new COVID-19 variant and another surge.  Will the current test kits be able to detect any new variant?  Again, no sure way to know. 

We have booked B2B cruises in August 2022 and a Perfect Day/Caribbean cruise in October 2022.  I will wait to purchase the proctored test kits closer to those dates if it appears testing will still be a boarding requirement.

The country is clearly moving from a pandemic to an endemic.  I think we saw this when the CDC reduced the Conditional Sail Order to voluntary.  And, with the lack of test kits, the cruise lines could push back and say if there are no test kits the CDC needs to recognize the testing recommendation needs to be reduced to symptomatic cases only.  We're going to have to treat Covid just like the flu ... urge vaccination and stay at home when you're sick.

4 hours ago, Toby said:

I am wondering how long Royal Caribbean or other cruise lines will continue to require negative tests as one of the requirements to board their ships?  There no way to predict if the future holds a new COVID-19 variant and another surge.  Will the current test kits be able to detect any new variant?  Again, no sure way to know. 

We have booked B2B cruises in August 2022 and a Perfect Day/Caribbean cruise in October 2022.  I will wait to purchase the proctored test kits closer to those dates if it appears testing will still be a boarding requirement.

I would be very surprised if any testing requirement goes away before 2023.