Alaska Balcony VS. Owners Suite

Scoular

Hi All,

My partner and I are due to cruise on Ovation OTS on 5th May around Alaska for 8 nights. We currently have a balcony booked however I recently cruised with my mum in a suite and I’ve been spoiled. My partner is also asking why I’ve booked us to “slum it” in a balcony room when I treated my mum 😂 the price difference is around $7K if it was a hot destination I could see using the balcony a lot and so could convince myself of the benefit. Saying that, I’ve never been to Alaska, so I don’t know how often people typically would be outside, bearing in mind we do have a balcony booked already.

My question I guess is would you upgrade or would you upgrade on a hot holiday instead? 

We did the Northern inside passage on the Radiance with a balcony.  Ours was very port intensive so the balcony was fine especially for that very reason.  I would rather spend the extra $$ on excursions at every port (plus we did a post 3 night cruise tour with RCI).  You could try to Royal Up if it is offered.

I've been to Alaska twice. Once interior and once in a balcony.  A balcony is better, but looking at the prices, I could do more than 2 cruises interior for the price of a balcony.  It wasn't  that much better! 

The same reasoning can apply to your cruise. 

If you can afford the suite, and don't have the time for multiple cruises, then go for it. If not,  then I'd be hesitant to spend the extra dough.

59 minutes ago, Scoular said:

Hi All,

My partner and I are due to cruise on Ovation OTS on 5th May around Alaska for 8 nights. We currently have a balcony booked however I recently cruised with my mum in a suite and I’ve been spoiled. My partner is also asking why I’ve booked us to “slum it” in a balcony room when I treated my mum 😂 the price difference is around $7K if it was a hot destination I could see using the balcony a lot and so could convince myself of the benefit. Saying that, I’ve never been to Alaska, so I don’t know how often people typically would be outside, bearing in mind we do have a balcony booked already.

My question I guess is would you upgrade or would you upgrade on a hot holiday instead? 

I will be on that cruise also.  I have one of the extra large balconies on the hump.  The extra large balconies are usually double the price i paid fo this cruise to Alaska so I am thrilled! 

4 minutes ago, iluvwineandtravel said:

I will be on that cruise also.  I have one of the extra large balconies on the hump.  The extra large balconies are usually double the price i paid fo this cruise to Alaska so I am thrilled!  We have been to alaska a LOT and it is one of my favorite destinations.  I have had really good luck and weather on May cruises.  That said, I do expect May 5th to be pretty cold still.  The best views in alaska are the 360 degree views up on deck.  I have actually often sailed in an inside cabin and still had a great time!

I'd have to agree with @WAAAYTOOOthat's a lot to up grade especially when you can use that money for an amazing excursion which in Alaska are not cheap. You could do a float plane ride and walk on the glacier or plane ride and ride one of the dog sleds. Even have a customized personal excursion created just for you by Private Journeys. 

Thanks All! I really appreciate the advice. Does anyone know if JS are now getting all the benefits? I heard they stopped access to the suite lounge for dinner during Covid. Is this still in place? It’s $3400 extra for a JS. Are your thoughts the same on that upgrade? In my head I agree with you all from your comments above and I don’t think he would be able to enjoy many of the standard suite benefits with it being a cold destination, but I know you don’t get many of those with JS anyway, but I’ve never stayed in a JS, so I don’t know a good rate from a bad one! 

That is much more difficult of a decision.  I would probably go ahead and spring for the JS for $3400.  True, you get almost none of the perks but the room, bathroom and balcony are bigger and many are having good luck getting into CK on the Q class ships for dinner, even during COVID.  You will get priority boarding and don't forget double points ! 

I went back and re-read your original post.  I guess I missed that you were looking at an Owner's Suite.  I still think $7K is a lot of money....but the OS are really nice !  Full dining setup inside the suite....and a very VERY nice size suite.  Probably still a no, but not as bad a deal as I first thought.

23 minutes ago, Scoular said:

To follow up on this, it’s $3400 extra, so just shy of $5300. Is that a lot for a JS? I feel I got my balcony for such a good deal at $1850 for 8 nights. 

Alaska is a premium destination so everything costs more. It's also a intensive port itinerary consider how much time will you actually be spending in the suite/cabin. Ovation has many activities and things to do. We get a suite because we don't take many cruises due to time off constraints. If you only cruise a couple times a year then sure splurge and get the junior suite. We had a junior suite on Ovation last summer and it was okay but I wouldn't pay that price difference. 

5 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Alaska is a premium destination so everything costs more. It's also a intensive port itinerary consider how much time will you actually be spending in the suite/cabin. Ovation has many activities and things to do. We get a suite because we don't take many cruises due to time off constraints. If you only cruise a couple times a year then sure splurge and get the junior suite. We had a junior suite on Ovation last summer and it was okay but I wouldn't pay that price difference. 

Ok only on this board would a couple of cruises a year be “only”!

2 hours ago, Scoular said:

To follow up on this, it’s $3400 extra, so just shy of $5300. Is that a lot for a JS? I feel I got my balcony for such a good deal at $1850 for 8 nights. 

You got a pretty good deal there at $1850. Personally, I wouldn't spend the $3400 on a JS -- just not enough upside, especially when I could put that money towards excursions. Alaska is so much about the sights and the destination, I'd put the $$ towards those experiences. In the Caribbean? I'd put the money into the suite and the experience on the ship.

2 hours ago, Scoular said:

To follow up on this, it’s $3400 extra, so just shy of $5300.

Wow, I can't believe you got a balcony to Alaska at $1900, I am looking now for 2023 and the cheapest balcony rooms are on OV/QT at ~$2500 for a 7 night from Seattle. I love the extra room in a JS but only book them when the per night rate is around $400. $757/night seems crazy crazy high to me; according to my extensive cruise pricing spreadsheet, the highest I have seen a JS is around $600/night on an OA class. 

We also have a balcony booked for AK for $1860 this year. We sailed our last time there in a JS. I can’t justify the $5300 for the JS this time, but we personally have other factors to consider. We are taking my aunt and sister, and are def spending the difference in prices on private tours instead. If you aren’t returning, you may want the JS.  If you plan to return, slumming in the balcony should be fine. At least my husband considers it slumming. 😂

That said, the pricing is normal for AK.  When Covid first hit in 2020, we were booked in a JS for $5100, and they were in an inside virtual balcony for $2800.  Today, after cancellations 2 years in a row, and grabbing every discounted price for both cabins, we are in balconies for $1860 (Diamond discount) and $2050.  If the JS drops below $4000, we MIGHT reconsider.