Question about Ovation Of The Seas - Spacious Ocean View VS Ocean View

kei

I am intending to book a cruise in 2023 in March in Australia as a few nights sampler for OOTS 

I have been to RC twice but both in an inside cabin

This time, we were going to go for either balcony or ocean view.  But given we will go to the onboard for fun, we opted for Ocean view.  However, I realised that they are all on Deck 3 and I heard that they are quiet noisy and the view may not be good etc.  Until I saw the Spacious Ocean View (in the front ship) and considering the price is only like $20 pp difference, the size of the room is bigger so decided to go for this one.

Here's the few questions

1) I've got quite a no. of choices to choose from from deck 8 to 11, except the edge room because obviously, they room/balcony are larger so they are all sold.  Or otherwise, there are so many I am not sure which to choose from.  Is it best to take deck 11?  And if so, do I take the middle? left? right?

2) Anyone tried the ocean view window VS the spacious ocean view (front ship) and if so, which one you prefer as for experience?

3) Although there are quite 1 year ahead, I will be booking directly from RC website.  Is it true that if the price does drop later, I can ring up RC and request the fund to be adjusted provided the full amount is not due?  And this can be done unlimited times?

4) You know when on the boarding day, they send you a message which time you can board based on the lot people? For example, it opens at 11am for check in and I am slotted for 2-4pm check in.  I heard somewhere, that you can even check in at 11am and they will let you board the ship anyways, is that true?

Your answer and help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

hi! I can try to answer some of your questions, however I’ve not yet been on Ovation. I’ll be going for the first time in December! 

1) this depends. If you are prone to seasickness then the best place to be is center ship in both length and height. In terms of port/star board I don’t think it matters. Obviously port you have the port view when docked, bus otherwise I can’t see why it would matter. 

2) I haven’t tried the spacious ocean view but my last was an ocean view and my next is a balcony. I did visit a spacious ocean view on a voyager class and it was quite nice. Keep in mind the cabin you’re referring to being ‘forward’ will be the sort of place where you’ll feel the most movement. 

3) I believe what you say is correct however I’ve never done it so not 100% sure. Recommend booking refundable fares just in case. 

4) I was under this impression also for my first cruise, however this advice was specific to North American cruising and was never applicable in Australia. When I checked in they let me join the queue 30 minutes ahead of time, but wouldn’t let my sibling and family as their time was 1.5 hours away. Now that the pandemic has hit royal is being very strict with boarding times everywhere, so you need to stick to the boarding time you choose. Do not arrive early. 

Maybe I read it wrong, and if so, please accept my apologies. 

Port refers to the left side of the ship when facing the bow (facing the front of the ship). 

Starboard refers to the  right side when oriented as above  

Ships can and do dock on either side, so the port side will not always have a view of the port. 

1 hour ago, teddy said:

Maybe I read it wrong, and if so, please accept my apologies. 

Port refers to the left side of the ship when facing the bow (facing the front of the ship). 

Starboard refers to the  right side when oriented as above  

Ships can and do dock on either side, so the port side will not always have a view of the port. 

It likely you are correct. I just made assumptions based on knowing very little about ships 😂

• 1 year later...
On 1/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, Vanessa77 said:

It likely you are correct. I just made assumptions based on knowing very little about ships 😂

Yes, those are very old terms. There was a time when boats tied up on the port side. That had to do with the way ships were steered and the fact that most sailors were right handed. There's a ton of sailing history for those interested.