If Cancelled, When???

CJS2766

We are scheduled to go on our first ever cruise to Alaska on May 20 on the Ovation. I noticed a week or so ago that the Ovation and a couple of other ships have been docked until the first week of May or so. We are nervous that our cruise could be cancelled. My question is? If Royal were to cancel, generally how far in advance would they notify passengers that a cruise will be cancelled? We are trying to make arrangements for a different trip if it were not to happen but this is hard not knowing the time frame if we can/should make backup plans.

Really hoping we cruise as I went all out for this cruise with room, 1st class flight from DC to Seattle, excursions, etc... Anyone else cruising to Alaska before May???

My cruise on Jan 22 on IOS was cancelled via email on Jan 14.  This is a ship that has been actively cruising and not on any type of docking or at sea protocol.  No reason given other than state of COVID.  That leaves a lot of questions on whether the crew has COVID, whether there is a restriction on testing that people are unable to make their cruises because they can't get tested, whether they are experiencing COVID cases and want to clean the ship extra well, or if the bookings were low overall and they won't make a profit on the sailing so they cancelled it instead.  

I live in Florida so my cruise was going to be a 1hr drive away but it is disappointing nonetheless on the cancellation after making plans and now having to postpone the trip.

16 hours ago, dmattinson said:

My cruise on Jan 22 on IOS was cancelled via email on Jan 14.  This is a ship that has been actively cruising and not on any type of docking or at sea protocol.  No reason given other than state of COVID.  That leaves a lot of questions on whether the crew has COVID, whether there is a restriction on testing that people are unable to make their cruises because they can't get tested, whether they are experiencing COVID cases and want to clean the ship extra well, or if the bookings were low overall and they won't make a profit on the sailing so they cancelled it instead.  

I live in Florida so my cruise was going to be a 1hr drive away but it is disappointing nonetheless on the cancellation after making plans and now having to postpone the trip.

So, your cruise was cancelled just one week before? If so, that's what I fear! Not enough time to plan something else. My hope would be if this cruise does not happen for whatever reason that we would get at least 30 days notice.

16 hours ago, dmattinson said:

9 minutes ago, baltodave said:

We were notified on Jan 7 (via email) that our Jan 24 Vision OTS sailing was cancelled.  At least we got 2 1/2 weeks notice.  Some folks on Symphony and Jewel were given just 1 or 2 days notice.

1 or 2 day notice!!!!😮 I would be pissed if that happened to us. That is really terrible for Royal to do that. Keeping fingers crossed that does not happen to us. Hoping that since it's almost at the end of May, we will still go. As far as Victoria, BC? Wonder if Canada will still be a go for the stop or not???

34 minutes ago, Missangie said:

My cruise on symphony  Jan 8th  was cancelled less than 48 hours before boarding. Had to cancel flights and  hotel last minute. Now we have to wait for future cruise credit  and what they tell me is that could take up to 45 days!!!! 

So sorry to hear that. I have to plan my leave at work well in advance and if this happened to me, I would not be happy as the last thing I want to do is waste a week at home and getting it reversed to actually go back to work is a pain. I'm REALLY hoping our cruise goes as planned. Not sure if it's a good thing or not that Ovation is currently docked through the first week of May.

2 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

1 or 2 day notice!!!!😮 I would be pissed if that happened to us. That is really terrible for Royal to do that. Keeping fingers crossed that does not happen to us. Hoping that since it's almost at the end of May, we will still go. As far as Victoria, BC? Wonder if Canada will still be a go for the stop or not???

It's my understanding that the folks who were just given 1 or 2 day notice received a 100% refund PLUS 100% FCC.  We got the option of a 100% refund OR 125% FCC (which we are taking since we have 2 other cruises booked in 2022).   However, we are still waiting for the refund for our cruise planner purchases.

2 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

1 or 2 day notice!!!!😮 I would be pissed if that happened to us. That is really terrible for Royal to do that.

I understand you'd be frustrated, but it's not like they have a choice sometimes. They are offering more than fair compensation in these cases, that they don't have to do. This pandemic is not going away any time soon so at this point expecting changes is necessary.

52 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I understand you'd be frustrated, but it's not like they have a choice sometimes. They are offering more than fair compensation in these cases, that they don't have to do. This pandemic is not going away any time soon so at this point expecting changes is necessary.

I had no idea of the compensation. That is fair now that I know that. Still hoping we get to cruise next May 😁

We had friends whose cruise was also cancelled about 2 weeks in advance out of Miami. They were able to call and reschedule to Allure out of Ft. Lauderdale during the same week as the cancelled cruise. There are possibilities apparently. It is definitely a difficult time for both Royal and their guests and I agree it would be heartbreaking to be planning on vacation and have it cancelled. I hope, for all of us, things slow down and we can return to more cruising and your Alaska cruise goes off without a hitch. We sailed Ovation to Alaska and it remains one of my favorite cruises.

On 1/17/2022 at 2:20 PM, dmattinson said:

I was on this sailing and still have not gotten an email saying canceled. I agree it is frustrating after all the planning and Black Friday deals we will lose. I get it though. You have to be flexible, still disappointing.