Canadian Kids denied going back to Canada.

Rene Desmarais

My brother and his family rencently went on a cruise. 

my sister-in-law tested positive for covid at the airport. My brother and his 2 daughters tested negative.

They received a call from dept of Health Florida and requested vaccine proof for all familly members.

His wife has to quarantine for 11 days.

10yr old only received  her 1st shot so she counts as not vaxed. They said she has to stay in the U.S to quarantine for 5 days.

16yr old had her 2nd shot in July 2021. She is also to quarantine in the U.S for 5 days as it has been more than 6 months since her 2nd shot.  The agent emailed my brother the cdc guidance concerning the 6 month thing. 

My brother was the only one that was allowed to returned.

If he would have known about the 6 month thing, they would have never left for a cruise vacation.

Good thing we have familly in Lake Placid FL

He also mentioned both Symphony and Rhapsody of the seas were getting ready to dock at CoCo Cay when Freedom was leaving to sail back to Miami 

Not sure I'm understanding. 

Why doesn't your brother need to quarantine? But his kids do?

Why 11 days for his wife? Isn't 10 days the standard now?

What's 6 months ago have to do with the older one receiving her vaccine?

Why would that stop them from going on their cruise?

How does Symphony, Rhapsody and Freedom fit into this? 

If your wife had no symptoms when she tested that is Day 0, however, according to the CDC she would have to quarantine for 5 days -the first day starts the DAY AFTER her test, and then mask well for the other 5 days.  If you click on the below link and look for the "up to date" link regarding vaccines it appears the CDC has slipped the boosters in.  I had no idea that was there, New York (one of the restrictive states) does not even mention having to have the booster.

I see you mention it is the Florida Department of Health that gave you the quarantine orders.  Each state, and then each county within the state, can interpret the guidelines as they see fit.  I tried looking for the MIami-Dade county to see what their guidelines are but I could not find any guidelines.

The CDC gudielines:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

12 hours ago, RWDW1204 said:

Not sure I'm understanding. 

Why doesn't your brother need to quarantine? But his kids do?

Why 11 days for his wife? Isn't 10 days the standard now?

What's 6 months ago have to do with the older one receiving her vaccine?

Why would that stop them from going on their cruise?

How does Symphony, Rhapsody and Freedom fit into this? 

My Brother received is 3rd dose "Booster" in Mid-Dec. Based on that he was cleared to travel if he needed to go back.

The agent advised us the required time to Quarantine for his wife.

the 6 months time frame is in the CDC guidelines.  the agent sent him the CDC explanation as justification.

How does Symphony, Rhapsody and Freedom fit into this?  this was an observation. he said as Freedom was leaving (4:30PM??) CoCo Cay for Miami, he noticed Symphony & Rhapsody pulling in to dock.   Now I'm trying to figure out why those 2 ships were docking?  Maybe supplies? Change of crew? no clue

CDC guidelines should not have been a factor for in transit guests on their way to Canada.

Health Canada is another matter.  

The wife clearly would have been an issue at the border but a simple $5,700 fine and she could have returned to Canada.  That fine is courtesy the Province of Ontario.  So maybe staying in the US was the cheaper approach for her.  Many Provinces have been charging the fine even for Canadians who mistakenly show up with an antigen test.  Seems like negative PCR test or $5,700 fine in many Provinces.

Kids with a negative PCR test in hand should have been allowed to fly on to Canada.  The airlines would have accepted that, CBSA would have accepted that.  

Who placed them under CDC guidelines?

13 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

My brother and his family rencently went on a cruise. 

my sister-in-law tested positive for covid at the airport. My brother and his 2 daughters tested negative.

They received a call from dept of Health Florida and requested vaccine proof for all familly members.

His wife has to quarantine for 11 days.

10yr old only received  her 1st shot so she counts as not vaxed. They said she has to stay in the U.S to quarantine for 5 days.

16yr old had her 2nd shot in July 2021. She is also to quarantine in the U.S for 5 days as it has been more than 6 months since her 2nd shot.  The agent emailed my brother the cdc guidance concerning the 6 month thing. 

My brother was the only one that was allowed to returned.

If he would have known about the 6 month thing, they would have never left for a cruise vacation.

Good thing we have familly in Lake Placid FL

He also mentioned both Symphony and Rhapsody of the seas were getting ready to dock at CoCo Cay when Freedom was leaving to sail back to Miami 

They better check re-entry rules back into Canada too - I was researching this the other day for a trip we're planning.   

This is from the website travel.gc.ca website for those who have tested positive.

You will not be able to board a public flight to come to Canada until:

• 15 days have passed or
  • you present a medical certificate confirming that your symptoms are not related to COVID-19

When you are able to enter, you will need to follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep Canadians safe, particularly given the new COVID-19 variants in Canada and around the world.

We are choosing to cruise and spend a lot of money during this time to do it. With so many moving parts, changing goal posts and the like my wish would be the cruise lines designate an individual to advocate for families during things like this. 

This person devoid emotion with knowledge and up to date protocols could come to a person's aid during something like this, clear communication would go a long way in the relationship between company and customer. I am still confused why the CDC is involved, I understand the Canadian powers that be....

I am routing for you guys, honestly hope this works out soon.

The last minute whimsical rules of international governments is a big reason why I deferred my European cruises until a hopefully better time in the future.  

I chose to sail close to home and avoid flights for now.  I know that doesn't help Canadians very much right now and I can absolutely see why some would do the same thing I'm doing with European cruises.  Canada really seemed to lose its mind with Omicron and tried very hard to make it unattractive for Canadians to leave Canada.  Mission Accomplished.    

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Canada sure is trying really hard to avoid something entering the country that's already there.

The Canadian Federal government has created a really confusing website where it's clear as a foggy day what the rules are.  Then as a citizen you show up to get back into your own country and the Province declares you failed to meet Federal policy so they slap a $5,700 fine against you.  I'm not even sure it's legal.  Somebody needs to sue someone, but the feds didn't fine you and the province didn't create the rules they are fining you for breaking, so who do you sue?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The Canadian Federal government has created a really confusing website where it's clear as a foggy day what the rules are.  Then as a citizen you show up to get back into your own country and the Province declares you failed to meet Federal policy so they slap a $5,700 fine against you.  I'm not even sure it's legal.  Somebody needs to sue someone, but the feds didn't fine you and the province didn't create the rules they are fining you for breaking, so who do you sue?

‘The craziness of Canada is why we decided to do our June Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle rather than one way to or from Vancouver!   

2 hours ago, twangster said:

We returned to Canada on Saturday at 4:44PM. We had negative PCR test results from 11:18AM (5.5 hours prior) and were “randomly” selected for another PCR test by customs. I politely asked where the logic was in that and was told that the tests are ‘only’ 95% effective 🙄

We were then told we had to quarantine at home until results were in (6 days). It was, however, safe for us to fly back to Vancouver first and then isolate at home. #governmentlogic

The utter ridiculousness of governments in their handling of Covid (nearly 2 years in) makes me think of that funny (but profane) movie Idiocracy. It was hysterical….and yet, with bureaucratic nonsense like this, I have to wonder just how long it will take society to reach Idiocracy.  It doesn’t seem like such a big stretch any more. 😕

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Canada has lost it's mind - the sad truth is that they think their government is "protecting" them from all the DEATH in America. It really helps to have the CBC which can parrot any message they want sent and prevent any other message from reaching most Canadians. It is even more insane in QC where COVID infected nurses are treating patients because they fired all the non-vaccinated but NOT infected nurses. They have had curfews, have announced a tax on the unvaxxed, and soon they won't be able to Walmart, Costco, or any other big box store.

4 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

We returned to Canada on Saturday at 4:44PM. We had negative PCR test results from 11:18AM (5.5 hours prior) and were “randomly” selected for another PCR test by customs. I politely asked where the logic was in that and was told that the tests are ‘only’ 95% effective 🙄

We were then told we had to quarantine at home until results were in (6 days). It was, however, safe for us to fly back to Vancouver first and then isolate at home. #governmentlogic

When we returned from the Allure on Jan. 8 we actually encountered a "thinking" CBSA lady. When we got off the ship Royal did our tests in the terminal. We had our negatives just after arriving at the airport at  8:45. We filled out our ArriveCan stating that we had been outside of Canada and the U.S. - automatic tests - but told her we had taken a test that morning. She said, "Were they negative?" to which we replied yes. Without asking to see them, she applied green stickers to both our passports and we were on our way.

22 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Given all this BS, I wonder how this will play out with Vancouver debark at the conclusion of Alaska Southbound sailings.

@Rene Desmaraiswishing you and your family a rapid end to this situation you find yourselves in. 

I was just thinking about this today. We're sailing southbound with a pre-cruise tour. 

Good to hear you had a "thinking" CBSA representative @Eggbert - we were not as lucky.  We too were tested (negative) at the port on January 9th at 9am and upon arrival at Pearson later that day, we still had to wait in a line up with hundreds of people from flights from all over the place to be re tested.  Even the workers tasked with administering the paperwork and testing couldn't help but nod and agree that this was a waste of time and money...not to mention putting as at greater risk due to long line ups and no social distancing.  

22 hours ago, twangster said:

The last minute whimsical rules of international governments is a big reason why I deferred my European cruises until a hopefully better time in the future.     

Yesterday I cancelled my long-awaited, twice-postponed transatlantic cruise in late April. It’s a shame because I had the ship, suite and itinerary that I really wanted…and at a great price. But, with all these bureaucrats constantly changing the rules based on their definition of ‘science’…I can’t take the risk of being quarantined, or worse, on another continent. I’ll stay closer to home until things get much better.

1 hour ago, Jill said:

We have a southbound with land tour in may. If Canada is still being jerks about this, I hope Royal ports in Seattle. 

+1 on this although it would screw-up our flights from YVR, but I can fix that. I can't fix stupid (look'n at you, Trudeau). I hope they make up their mind soon and stay consistent for the entire season. 

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

It'll be fine.  Canada's latest plan to eliminate the virus has been to mail it around the world.  Then again that plan encountered an issue once Canada Post started sending employees home who appeared with an N95 mask.  Doh!