Canadians requiring PCR test

Just wanted to share our experience for other Canadians needing PCR test after cruise for return to Canada. As I posted in other threads when our Symphony cruise was cancelled 24 hours prior to sailing my wife was able to get us onto Norwegian Joy. Although Royal had discontinued providing PCR tests on board Norwegian was still doing it, until new policy that came into effect Jan.8. (The date of our sailing) We has planed to use Nomi health at Miami airport for our return test anyways so no big deal. However, we received a letter to our stateroom that NCL had partnered with a company called Inspire Diagnostics to provide PCR tests at the terminal for international travellers at a cost of $120USD per person. We were impressed with their pre boarding testing setup (did not know it was a different company) so we decided it would be easy and convenient (results were guaranteed within 45 minutes). We made appointments (had to prepay) and enjoyed the rest of the cruise. When we got off the ship no one could tell us where we were supposed to go. We finally found it on our own, it was literally a folding table set up in the parking lot. At that point we would have walked away if we hadn’t already prepaid. They then had us swab ourselves. We questioned if that was even a PCR test and they ensured us it was and they would email us the results. My wife asked for a phone number to contact in case there was a problem or we didn’t get results. They could not provide us with a phone number. We left for the airport and awaited our results. As an hour passed and we still didn’t have our results we really started to get worried. Finally after 2.5 hours we received emails saying both my wife’s test and my own were inconclusive! With just 2 hours before our flight boards now we ran to Nomi health in Miami Airport. We were able to register and get tested immediately. We paid $358USD for 2 rapid PCR tests. We explained our predicament and they promised our results in 30 minutes. My wife set a timer and 17 minutes later we received our negative results. This is not a tale of woe, this is to just inform you that you are better off paying the extra and getting tested at the airport. The setups at the terminal are hokey at best.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Vancity Cruiserjust asking out of pure curiosity and because I value your input.  What was your Plan B if you had tested positive after getting off the ship?  Just trying to gather info and weigh out options for March if the feds annoying rules are still in place.

I was looking at 2 options. The most attractive one was an Airbnb for 2 weeks in Miami and simply extend my vacation (approximate value of $1600-$2000). I can work remotely so this is the one I would have preferred. This would not have worked for my wife as she still has school aged children she would need to get home for. Second option was to catch a flight to Seattle (US domestic flights don’t care about Rona [I would have been careful and double masked]), rent a car to drive to Bellingham airport, caught a cab to border crossing. I had someone who could have driven my vehicle to the border crossing for me. I would have crossed on foot, explained that I was positive, had a vehicle and quarantine plan in place. They can not deny access to Canadians. I would have accepted the $5000 fine if they felt compelled to give it to me and argued it in court sometime down the road.

I did feel though that despite the stories you hear in media etc. That the chances of contacting covid is still very very low and my wife and I were a little extra careful (avoiding crowded elevators etc) knowing we needed a negative PCR test to return to Canada

45 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I did feel though that despite the stories you hear in media etc. That the chances of contacting covid is still very very low and my wife and I were a little extra careful (avoiding crowded elevators etc) knowing we needed a negative PCR test to return to Canada

That is pretty much how we felt when we sailed last month. But I feel a bit uneasy with their new wording with the “might be fined $5000”. Makes me so angry.

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is pretty much how we felt when we sailed last month. But I feel a bit uneasy with their new wording with the “might be fined $5000”. Makes me so angry.

I am so livid about this.  I don't see the issue if we are sticking to our car, driving straight home and then going into quarantine there.  Isn't that better anyways than staying in a public hotel with someone needing to disinfect the room afterwards, etc?  My worry too is that I can see Mr T keeping this around for a long time.

40 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

I am so livid about this.  I don't see the issue if we are sticking to our car, driving straight home and then going into quarantine there.  Isn't that better anyways than staying in a public hotel with someone needing to disinfect the room afterwards, etc?  My worry too is that I can see Mr T keeping this around for a long time.

Absolutely you are much safer in your own car. I felt the same way in September when I had to fly from Vancouver to Seattle instead of driving

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

They say that not because it is dangerous, they simply don't want us to travel. That is the reason for ALL of the "safeguards." Not for one second did I feel unsafe on my 9 day cruise.

Ugh... with the new wording on the possible $5,000 fine, our plan would be to fly to DTW.  Get tested in Michigan.  If we test positive, quarantine in Michigan.  In the meantime, will keep my ears open if they are issuing these fines on every positive test crossing or if it is just depends on the CBSA officer you get.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Canadians

Any feedback from the offer to have PCR testing at the terminal before flights back to YYZ or YVR? Concerned test results won't be available within an hour if thousands of people are coming off the boat at the same time.

Anyone one coming home to Canada from Anthem of the Seas in New Jersey?

I know you can go to any pharmacy but when you come off the boat, most of us are focused on getting the airport and plane back home. I'm not keen on finding cabs to a pharmacy and then cab to the airport.