Item security

Jenny0609

What do you do with your phone and other items while using water slides etc. onboard? We plan to let our teens have some freedom, but I’m sure one of them doesn’t want to sit in a pool chair babysitting their phones while the other is having fun. My son also carries an epipen at all times and would want to leave that poolside while he swims (it has a small cooling bag it stays in). 

Jenny, with two teens of my own, what we've done is purchased waterproof phone pouches (Amazon has many!), in case the area they decide to lay their belongings get splashed. (The pouches are also great to use if you go to a beach/snorkelling etc on excursions, as you can take them right into the water and still take photos.) As Matt said, just keep the towels covering, we've not had any issues doing this.

2 hours ago, Jenny0609 said:

What do you do with your phone and other items while using water slides etc. onboard?

Hi Jenny,

Check this out on Amazon: safego portable safe. We got one (the white Amazon Choice in white $49.95) a few years ago. Have used it on beach excursions, going to our local beaches, on board the cruise ship, etc. Also got one for our granddaughter when she went off on a two week ballet camp. 😎

23 hours ago, Jenny0609 said:

What do you do with your phone and other items while using water slides etc. onboard? We plan to let our teens have some freedom, but I’m sure one of them doesn’t want to sit in a pool chair babysitting their phones while the other is having fun. My son also carries an epipen at all times and would want to leave that poolside while he swims (it has a small cooling bag it stays in). 

While most people are trusting, there have been occasional thefts on board or at private beaches.  Therefore, I recommend a back-up plan.  We have the phone sized lanyard cases previously described, and we alternate using the water so one of us can "guard" our stuff.  98% of the time you will be OK by "covering up", but be prepared for the 2%, even when on an excursion that offers "lockers".  The ships are generally safe, but can be quirky.  I had a wallet returned to me, but not a baseball cap I left in the MDR.

Have a great cruise!

Everyone in our group had a draw-string bag, I kept my phone in there and nearby. If it's on a beach chair, it's with a towel over it. I kept my SeaPass card in my pocket (even in a bathing suit) so it was always with me. Never had an issue.

There are cameras all over the ship in public areas. In the unlikely event of a theft, note the time and then tell a crew member. They can possibly review the footage. 

As many do on this board, I read a lot about cruising.  I have never actually read any report of the type of theft you are worried about.  I'm sure it happens, but it is definitely not commonplace. There is high quality video surveillance throughout the ship and security has facial recognition quality pictures of everyone onboard.

I have a day bag that I bring for the ships pool and shore excursions.