Statue of Liberty

It is to the North of the Port, so you will not go by it on your way to the open sea which is to the Southeast.  If you have a few hours, you can get pretty close by taking the Staten Island Ferry over and back (from Battery Park I think).  I'm sure there are safe and closer viewing points right there on the NJ shoreline that could be done in a hour or so from the port.  It's only a few miles.

On our last sailing before the shut down in 2020 the captain sailed Anthem up past the statue then turned around before heading out to sea…I’ve seen on Facebook a few others saying they’ve had this experience as well, but sounds like it isn’t guaranteed.  This is from our sail away, I was in the solarium and it was rainy so not the best picture.

5CE471C8-165B-41E0-AE29-1365760432F9.thumb.jpeg.a4a6324e0d3e7a0c4017d17e2c22f919.jpeg

From the port with the naked eye it will look like this:

yq13QWU.jpg

Yep, that's it in the middle-ish.  

With a telephoto lens it will look bigger.  This from another sailing on a better day but taken from the ship before we left the pier:

KtfxYBd.jpg

I've also been lucky enough to be a cruise where the Captain received permission to tour the port before heading out to sea.  It depends on other ship traffic and how the Port Authority feels about it on that day.  The Captain can't just decide to do this, they must have permission.  

When they do get permission it's pretty cool.

NBF6bpt.jpg

YAt2oaK.jpg

FDcEvks.jpg

gXpETDJ.jpg

5SZYrCu.jpg

fPxdSYd.jpg

Ztf6Bav.jpg

10 hours ago, Geoff P said:

On our last sailing before the shut down in 2020 the captain sailed Anthem up past the statue then turned around before heading out to sea…I’ve seen on Facebook a few others saying they’ve had this experience as well, but sounds like it isn’t guaranteed.  This is from our sail away, I was in the solarium and it was rainy so not the best picture.

Was this the Feb 7 2020 cruise that was shortened from 8 days to 5 days ?  We were on this one, too.  This is the one and only time I was lucky enough to be on a cruise that went past the Statue.  It was really great.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Was this the Feb 7 2020 cruise that was shortened from 8 days to 5 days ?  We were on this one, too.  This is the one and only time I was lucky enough to be on a cruise that went past the Statue.  It was really great.

Yep that’s the one!  First and only time so far going out of Bayonne, otherwise we’ve only gone out of Miami on our other cruises.  Really enjoyed going up and past the statue and seeing the city while turning around, going under the bridge was great too.  Going out of Bayonne again in September 

The one and only time we sailed from Bayonne...   On Anthem, the skipper had to outrun Hurricane Dorian which ended our cruise slightly early.      To make it up to us, he drove the ship quite a ways up the Hudson River, spun cookies adjacent to New York City, and passed the Statue of Liberty.  That was a wonderful treat.

We were close!

IMG-20190906-215135164.jpg

P1010202.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, bobroo said:

Literally right next to Cape Liberty is the Tear Drop Memorial; the most overlooked and under appreciated 9/11 monument. 

My advice for all sailings out of Bayonne? Drop your bags and take 20 minutes to go view it, it's 100% free.

Boarding Anthem today. Anthem, the Tear Drip Memorial, Manhattan skyline, and a diminutive Lady Liberty.

Amount of people at the park? Only me

Total cost? $0

image.jpg