Free COVID tests will be available on January 19th.

MuttMutt

33 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Not proctored. Not for travel. Not good for Canadians at all. 

This we already pretty much knew before the tests were available.  These are no different than the ones you can get over the counter at the big box stores.  They give the user some information if they test but it's worthless outside of that. 

23 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Ordered ours on January 19. Got the email today that they are expected to be delivered to us on Friday - will have been just over three weeks from order to receipt.

The kits arrived. They are Abbott BinaxNOW kits. Sadly, they are NOT the authorized kits for pre-cruise testing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, smokeybandit said:

The link is now active to requests the federally-provided tests.

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Yea, we ordered these ASAP when they came out...and they just arrived last week  [Feb. 21st or so].  No, they are not proctored as others have mentioned.  The one's we got [2 tests per small box with orange coloring] appear to be from a company named  "IHealth".  Instructions say if you don't have symptoms, you'll need two tests (1 box).  Not sure how useful these would be for travel or cruises, except to check before if one might have symptoms. Won't provide the means to get on a ship though [or airplane, say to get back into the USa].  

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like they are now allowing a second ordering of tests.  So far I have been using them as a "pre test" before taking the proctored ones and I take them onboard with me for a "just in case I start feeling crappy" so I can take one in the room instead of calling down to medical and then just wondering.  Haven't used one yet while on the cruise but it's nice to have along for my own peace of mind.

On 3/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, MuttMutt said:

So looks like they are now allowing a second ordering of tests.  So far I have been using them as a "pre test" before taking the proctored ones and I take them onboard with me for a "just in case I start feeling crappy" so I can take one in the room instead of calling down to medical and then just wondering.  Haven't used one yet while on the cruise but it's nice to have along for my own peace of mind.

For those who are nervous about going through pre-cruise testing, the free test used as a "practice test" can help reduce the anxiety before the big game.