Free COVID tests will be available on January 19th.

MuttMutt

This is for residents of the US only.  It will be limited to 4 tests per home.  Beyond that not a lot of information available so these probably will not be useful for travel but who knows till they start shipping.  I will be putting in an order even if it's just to have some on hand that can be used for my own information.

https://www.covidtests.gov/ 

Nobody really has a clue what was bought or if they will work for travel.  In all odds they will not.  However a couple tests sitting around for before you leave (especially if you plan to be in the area near the terminal well before the time the ship leaves) so you can test isn't a bad thing.  I know some people will buy the OTC versions from the local big box or pharmacy just for that so this is a way to save a few bucks.

As for shipping, and this is fully speculating, I would not be surprised if the USPS is holding stock at their major sorting centers so outside of it being a thing where your area is out of stock shipping should be fairly fast.  It could even be possible for some of the large local post offices just had a box or two sitting around so it could literally be next day delivery.  This is purely speculation but with the way things are being talked about it's a good possibility.

16 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

As for shipping, and this is fully speculating, I would not be surprised if the USPS is holding stock at their major sorting centers so outside of it being a thing where your area is out of stock shipping should be fairly fast.  It could even be possible for some of the large local post offices just had a box or two sitting around so it could literally be next day delivery.  This is purely speculation but with the way things are being talked about it's a good possibility.

Reasonable ....... I'd really like to see the current administration hit a home run with this program and getting the logistics right is key. If there has been advance procurement and stock-piling of home tests, it could happen. I'll speculate that the reason it is so hard to find the Abbott BinaxNow products is that Abbott is busy manufacturing and then selling them to the US government.

I posted some stuff on the government program incidentally in another related thread. Here's the link if you haven't seen it yet. t's got some good info and links in it on the free COVID tests program:

These are NOT the proctored antigen tests and, therefore, not accepted by cruiselines.  They are the in-home tests for you to  self-check.  

Also, FYI, for all retired military seniors and dependent spouses...  the new reimbursement program (by your insurance company) for these same Covid in-home tests that was effective Jan 15th does not help us.  Neither Medicare nor Tricare for Life insurance programs are covered.  We're on our own!

Everyone already knew the omicron wave was going to be over before they got these things out.  They aren't going to be good for travel or any formal needs.  Just basically a test "so ya know".  Reliability is going to be questionable as well.  But, it could work to kind of give you an idea of what your status is before you spend money for a pre-cruise test for example.

12 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Thanks for the reminder - just ordered mine. Don't know if they'll be taken by the cruise and I kinda doubt the expiration will last through August '22 but I think it will be overall good to have on hand just in case I have potential exposure in my day-to-day life.

They absolutely won't be taken by the cruise, since they are self administered with no proctor.  These are exactly what you mentioned: for potential exposure in your daily life.

On the new QuestCOVID19.com web site mentioned on the front page and at the risk of repeating what everyone following this stuff here already knows, KNOW YOUR TEST TYPES AND PICK THE RIGHT TEST.

I already posted a detailed explanation of molecular and rapid antigen tests here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/27964-the-dreaded-positive-test-result/&do=findComment&comment=304316

Per reports, RCL has "partnered" with Quest Diagnostics to make "free" testing available. That's accurate, just make sure you know what you're getting and how you will or will not incur charges for testing. Also know other companies are doing the same thing Quest is doing. You're not locked into Quest Diagnostics to obtain travel tests. That these testing opportunities are popping up is a result of the Biden Administrations requiring health insurance carriers to pay for COVID testing. In the case of any type of "monitored, proctored or clinician administered" COVID tests, where a licensed health care practitioner is required to order the test, Medicare Covers them. Home tests for Medicare beneficiaries are available though the USPS ordering site (you can four self test kits with two tests in each kit.) 

The web site QuestCOVID19.com (not a live link, copy and past it into your browser) is nicely laid out. I just went to it and made my way through the process to get a test - you can order kits or schedule a visit to a testing site. For testing sites, you can enter your zip code and see what's available in your area - either a molecular (PCR) test or Rapid Antigen test, possibly not both, with the molecular tests being more commonly available. Then select the one you want and start the scheduling process.

Which test is best for you?

If you're goal is to clear boarding protocols, Rapid Antigen tests (either home-monitored, e.g. Abbott BinaxNow, or clinic based tests performed by a clinician) are the easiest and IMO, your best option. If you have travelers in your party that are required to get a molecular test, well, then you'll have to get one. Quest states their molecular tests are being resulted within 24-48h so, that's great and if it turns out your insurance will cover them, that's even better! There are such things as "Rapid" Molecular tests and I'm assuming that is what Quest is using but I can't confirm that as they aren't saying what products they are using.

Why do I favor the Rapid Antigen Tests? It's because of the dreaded post COVID positive you can pop on the much more sensitive molecular tests even months after you were exposed, even if you never had symptoms. Those pesky SARS-CoV2 virions can hang around for a long time inside you and will produce a positive when using molecular tests. With Omicron, it is a fact that lots and lots, I could say everyone but I won't, is going to be exposed and potentially develop completely asymptomatic infections and then recover from them (hard these days to actually define recovery). Those infections can still leave markers at trace levels where you are not even remotely infectious ...... but, you pop a positive on that PCR in that circumstance and you're done. 

At the risk of repeating what has already been posted, what about Canadians traveling to FL from Canada and returning to Canada?

You don't need a molecular test to board an aircraft in Canada and fly to FL. Rapid Antigen tests will work and depending on your travel plans from Canada to FL, you could make one test work for arriving in the US and clearing boarding protocols on the ship. You do need a molecular test to fly from FL and re-enter Canada (RCL is no longer providing PCR tests aboard ship for debarking guests). According to RCL, international guests who need one can get a Rapid (same day) PCR test inside the terminal after debarkation or at the  airport at your own expenses ($100 and up). I'd advise researching who is doing those at the ports or airports you are traveling through, for what prices and schedule testing in advance.

Hope this is helpful, puts needed testing info in one place and I'm not reposting stuff that everyone already knows about.

My girlfriend ordered some as soon as they were available.  Nothing happening yet but I am in a small town about 40 miles from Tulsa so I am betting they are much more worried about getting people in the bigger cities tests than people living in places similar to me.  No big deal either way since they would not be suitable for getting on the ship.  I just ordered a set from eMed for the cruises, sadly the shipping went from 18 something to 21 something since my last purchase.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's worth noting these tests are only good for 6 months and have no extension period like the Abbott ones do

IMO, these tests are just for when you feel sick at home. 

As we thought, not the ones valid for a cruise.