At Home Testing Kits For Non US Residents

Geraldo086

Hi All,

Myself and my wife will be travelling from Ireland to Miami in April for our 7 night cruise on Oasis and we cant wait!

I am looking into the at home testing kits sold by Royal to use for our pre-cruise test and i was wondering if any non US residents have been able to purchase and use these tests?

I did a mock booking and i'm pretty sure i can order them and have them delivered to our hotel or to a parcel pick up location, so ordering them shouldn't be a problem.

My plan is to do the tests from our hotel room the morning after we arrive. Can any US residents advise or know if I would need an american cell phone to do the online test or would my Irish cell phone work okay for this? Is it a phone number that you call to do the video call with or is the video call done over a WiFi connection? Is there any other reason why a non US resident wouldn't be able to do one of these tests like do they require a US social security number or anything like that?

Thanks in advance,

Gerard

I did the same on our last cruise to Miami. 

I ordered the at home test sets to our hotel a week before our check in day  (in our case they have a FedEx location inside the hotel so its very easy) when we arrived I just went and collect it without any issues. If you go to RCL page were they sell the kits you will see that they encourage international travelers to do the same.

Another option is to take the rapid test in the airport for around 75$ per person .

WiFI is enough and you can give the hotel phone number if you need. 

Thank you very much for your reply Traveller, this is exactly what I wanted to know. 

The airport wouldn’t be ideal because we fly in a day too early to take the test the day we arrive so we’d need to drive back to the airport the following day. So it’s great to hear that you ordered and were able to do the at home tests with no problems. 

Mike, I’ll let you know how I get on with this if you like? 

12 hours ago, Geraldo086 said:

Can any US residents advise or know if I would need an american cell phone to do the online test or would my Irish cell phone work okay for this?

I have done these tests a number of times using my Nicaragua cellphone, in Nicaragua, with no problems. You can also do them on a tablet or laptop with no cell number/service. No phone number access needed. 

GeraldoO86, you have a solid plan.

I'm assuming you are ordering your tests from eMed or Optum. RCL will link you to Optum. The test you want is the proctored Abbott BinaxNow Rapid Antigen test, not the un-proctored test of the same name. You can also google search for eMed, get your tests through them, but the down side of eMed right now is they only sell a 6-pack of the proctored tests ($180). You can get a 2 or 3 -pack from Optum for much less. proctored AG tests are one test per box. The Home, un-proctored tests are 2 tests per box.

Abbott BinaxNow test results (either one) can be completed and uploaded using the Navica App (Apple or Android Play stores) that is linked to eMed. I'm not sure how Optum does this but you can use any Abbott COVID test you have with the Navica app - a bar code is a bar code and you use your phone to scan that in to the Navica app to start the testing process. I recommend this or Optum's app if they have one. It's pretty slick but you'll need a good wifi (e.g., hotel) connection to use it and get through the proctored test on line...proctors are typically Asian and they are hard enough to understand with a perfect signal. You can use data, the local network, assuming you either have an international roaming plan from your telephone service provider and can gain access to the network or a sim card (ATT, Verizon, others) you can slip into your phone for travel with phone access in the US, subject to the vagaries of data network's signal strength. Hotel wifi will probably be your best bet.

After you complete the test in the Navica App, results will uploaded directly to the app as a result of you scanning the bar code to start the test. It will then be digitally displayable (print and QR Code) to anyone you wish to show it to. You'll also get an email with your results and all the info on it for the test as a hard copy attachment. Print this out. That way you have both a digital (QR and print) and hard copy record of your test result.

Good luck and happy sailing.

9 hours ago, KristiZ said:

I have done these tests a number of times using my Nicaragua cellphone, in Nicaragua, with no problems. You can also do them on a tablet or laptop with no cell number/service. No phone number access needed. 

That’s great to hear Kristi, that you’ve had no problem using them on a non US cellphone while outside the US. Many thanks for your reply. 

8 hours ago, JeffB said:

GeraldoO86, you have a solid plan.

I'm assuming you are ordering your tests from eMed or Optum. RCL will link you to Optum. The test you want is the proctored Abbott BinaxNow Rapid Antigen test, not the un-proctored test of the same name. You can also google search for eMed, get your tests through them, but the down side of eMed right now is they only sell a 6-pack of the proctored tests ($180). You can get a 2 or 3 -pack from Optum for much less. proctored AG tests are one test per box. The Home, un-proctored tests are 2 tests per box.

Abbott BinaxNow test results (either one) can be completed and uploaded using the Navica App (Apple or Android Play stores) that is linked to eMed. I'm not sure how Optum does this but you can use any Abbott COVID test you have with the Navica app - a bar code is a bar code and you use your phone to scan that in to the Navica app to start the testing process. I recommend this or Optum's app if they have one. It's pretty slick but you'll need a good wifi (e.g., hotel) connection to use it and get through the proctored test on line...proctors are typically Asian and they are hard enough to understand with a perfect signal. You can use data, the local network, assuming you either have an international roaming plan from your telephone service provider and can gain access to the network or a sim card (ATT, Verizon, others) you can slip into your phone for travel with phone access in the US, subject to the vagaries of data network's signal strength. Hotel wifi will probably be your best bet.

After you complete the test in the Navica App, results will uploaded directly to the app as a result of you scanning the bar code to start the test. It will then be digitally displayable (print and QR Code) to anyone you wish to show it to. You'll also get an email with your results and all the info on it for the test as a hard copy attachment. Print this out. That way you have both a digital (QR and print) and hard copy record of your test result.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Thank you so much Jeff for such a detailed reply, this will be so useful for when we order and do our tests. 

I’ll see how the WiFi is before doing the test but I can do it over my data if need be. Thanks for the tip on that👍🏻

Thanks again, Gerard. 

1 hour ago, Nina said:

You will need a test to enter the USA so you can use the same result to get on the ship.

We fly in Thursday and the cruise is Sunday. So we can’t use the same test unfortunately. 

We were supposed to fly on the Friday and that was the original plan, to use the same test result. But the Friday flight from Dublin was cancelled. So it was fly in Thursday or Saturday, and flying Saturday was a bit too close to our cruise in case something went wrong with our flight.

31 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

@Geraldo086 that would be good, I'm thinking of ordering a test in the UK and bringing it with us, just need to ensure I bring the right one!!

I’ll let you know how I get on. I’m encouraged that it should be quite straight forward based on the replies. I’d double check with Royal that the test you are thinking of bringing with you from the UK is accepted, from what I’ve read they only accept a particular type of at home test.

2 hours ago, Mike.s said:

@Geraldo086 that would be good, I'm thinking of ordering a test in the UK and bringing it with us, just need to ensure I bring the right one!!

I was going to look into this for trip to NYC and PR but in the end i just binned cruise. Needed 5 tests each and the though of sourcing them, getting them done, waiting for results was bad enough but then reading on here about some receiving out of date tests or travelling to cruiseport while searching for somewhere to take test made me rethink my options. Still going on a cruise just 1 that doesnt involve so many tests just to get onboard 

11 hours ago, JeffB said:

..proctors are typically Asian and they are hard enough to understand with a perfect signal. 

An Asian and an Irishman on a video call... sounds like the start of a Billy Connolly Joke lol 

I mean Proper Queens English how difficult is it 

Yall know what i mean 🤣🤣

21 hours ago, Traveler said:

I did the same on our last cruise to Miami. 

I ordered the at home test sets to our hotel a week before our check in day  (in our case they have a FedEx location inside the hotel so its very easy) when we arrived I just went and collect it without any issues. If you go to RCL page were they sell the kits you will see that they encourage international travelers to do the same.

Another option is to take the rapid test in the airport for around 75$ per person .

WiFI is enough and you can give the hotel phone number if you need. 

Are you a non us citizen? Thanks 

17 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Yes, those are the correct tests and the correct pricing for Optum. I would recommend that you check the eMed  web site. If you need 6 tests, with tax and shipping they are $180. I ordered from eMed 3 weeks ago and had them in my hands (FEDEX 2-d and that's the only shipping option) in 5 days and two of those were over a weekend. I've placed 3 orders without any problems from eMed. One during the current rush. No problems although instaGator reported delays for him using eMed in another thread. 

You are not required to use Optum products. I recommend you download the Navica app (iphone or Android) and use it to run your tests. You initiate the proctored test by scanning your barcode on the test package into the Navica app, once you do that follow the instructions. It takes about 20 minutes to do each test - they must be done separately. Once done, results will be uploaded to your Navica App to show to anyone who is asking in digital print format and a QR code that can be scanned by officials. You'll also get an email with an attached results sheet. Print these out. Thatway you have both a hard copy in your hand and a digital copy on your phone.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

Good luck.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Yes, those are the correct tests and the correct pricing for Optum. I would recommend that you check the eMed  web site. If you need 6 tests, with tax and shipping they are $180. I ordered from eMed 3 weeks ago and had them in my hands (FEDEX 2-d and that's the only shipping option) in 5 days and two of those were over a weekend. I've placed 3 orders without any problems from eMed. One during the current rush. No problems although instaGator reported delays for him using eMed in another thread. 

You are not required to use Optum products. I recommend you download the Navica app (iphone or Android) and use it to run your tests. You initiate the proctored test by scanning your barcode on the test package into the Navica app, once you do that follow the instructions. It takes about 20 minutes to do each test - they must be done separately. Once done, results will be uploaded to your Navica App to show to anyone who is asking in digital print format and a QR code that can be scanned by officials. You'll also get an email with an attached results sheet. Print these out. Thatway you have both a hard copy in your hand and a digital copy on your phone.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

Good luck.

Thanka a lot for your advice, i did already purchase the optum ones but not to worry,  the thing i do worry is about google app says i cant dowload navica app as its not available in my country, but i did do a test and signed up account with navica on there web page and followed the instructions ( its does ask for a us mobile number) i used my friends us one. Then it let me follow on until connecting with a proctor, up to then i stopped as i dont need to test till the 4th of feb. 

Do you think once in the us it will let me dowload the Navica app? 

Thanks

Got it ......  I'm assuming you used the eMed/Navica web page (on your phone or a PC) and created an account here:

https://www.emed.com/app/login?redirect_to=%2Fapp%2Fstart-testing&hsLang=en

From your post I also assume you did create an account and then proceeded through the questions to get to connect to a proctor then stopped, right?

Good, your on the right track. If not use the link above and create an account (save your password somewhere!!!).

Your phone will have a country code that is not the US's (+1) and I suspect you won't be able to download the Navica App. You could try and if you are able, the app is nice plus it keeps a record of any BinaxNow COVID AG testing you do from the time you log your first test (both un-proctored and proctored) right on your phone going forward. 

Barring the downloading of the Navica App on your phone, the web based process will work just fine on your phone (kinda small print for me) or a PC (better if you have bad eyesight).

Sounds like you've got a plan.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Got it ......  I'm assuming you used the eMed/Navica web page (on your phone or a PC) and created an account here:

https://www.emed.com/app/login?redirect_to=%2Fapp%2Fstart-testing&hsLang=en

From your post I also assume you did create an account and then proceeded through the questions to get to connect to a proctor then stopped, right?

Good, your on the right track. If not use the link above and create an account (save your password somewhere!!!).

Your phone will have a country code that is not the US's (+1) and I suspect you won't be able to download the Navica App. You could try and if you are able, the app is nice plus it keeps a record of any BinaxNow COVID AG testing you do from the time you log your first test (both un-proctored and proctored) right on your phone going forward. 

Barring the downloading of the Navica App on your phone, the web based process will work just fine on your phone (kinda small print for me) or a PC (better if you have bad eyesight).

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Hi Jeff, yes exactly how you mentioned is what i did 🙂

Thanks a lot for your help and message, now all i have to do is pray my 2 kids PCR test are negative when we do them (we are planning on doing them here in Spain the day we leave, im too scared we dont find somewhere to do them and result are not back in time) as we fly to Miami on a Wednesday and cruise is Saturday, so that works in the 3 day window for kids, and hopefully for the 6 adults all goes well on the emed app. 

I will let you all know how we get on, and if everything goes to plan. 

😊

Coming from the UK, we're staying in Orlando a few days before our cruise in February, I tried going on the Optum and Emed stores to get a pack delivered to our hotel. When getting to the payment stage and entering my card info it required a Zip code, and it would only let you enter the US format Zip code. I tried entering the hotel zip code but it wouldn't accept my payment (on 3 different cards - Visa debit, Visa credit, Mastercard credit).

I contacted the Optum Store support and they said they only accept US billing addresses (I'd entered the hotel as the delivery address, though there wasn't a "billing address" section, just the zip code along with your card info).

Not sure where to go from here. Obviously there are alternatives that we could find in Orlando but would rather be able to use these convenient packs! Appreciate any advice :)

9 hours ago, Alexlang22 said:

Coming from the UK, we're staying in Orlando a few days before our cruise in February, I tried going on the Optum and Emed stores to get a pack delivered to our hotel. When getting to the payment stage and entering my card info it required a Zip code, and it would only let you enter the US format Zip code. I tried entering the hotel zip code but it wouldn't accept my payment (on 3 different cards - Visa debit, Visa credit, Mastercard credit).

I contacted the Optum Store support and they said they only accept US billing addresses (I'd entered the hotel as the delivery address, though there wasn't a "billing address" section, just the zip code along with your card info).

Not sure where to go from here. Obviously there are alternatives that we could find in Orlando but would rather be able to use these convenient packs! Appreciate any advice 🙂

Hello, thats strange i used my Spanish card yesterday and had no issues i left the zip code in blank. 

Try and see if that works? 

Please can people from UK advise which at home test we can buy which will be acceptable to get into US and for cruise? There is a GOV.UK site now with recommended suppliers as some were over charging. They start at £15-20 for video supervised Antigen Tests. Or maybe it'll be best to go to an actual private test centre as £40 near us?

1 hour ago, Natalfaz said:

Hello, thats strange i used my Spanish card yesterday and had no issues i left the zip code in blank. 

Try and see if that works? 

Thanks for your reply. I've tried again on both stores but they require a zip code for me. It still wasn't going through on Optum but it has now gone through on the Emed store which isn't the most ideal as it is more money and more kits than we need but maybe we can save them for something in the near future.

1 hour ago, Nina said:

Please can people from UK advise which at home test we can buy which will be acceptable to get into US and for cruise? There is a GOV.UK site now with recommended suppliers as some were over charging. They start at £15-20 for video supervised Antigen Tests. Or maybe it'll be best to go to an actual private test centre as £40 near us?

Im pretty sure that only USA at home test are valid. 

If you are traveling in with less than 2 days window i would go for the private test center. 

50 minutes ago, Alexlang22 said:

Thanks for your reply. I've tried again on both stores but they require a zip code for me. It still wasn't going through on Optum but it has now gone through on the Emed store which isn't the most ideal as it is more money and more kits than we need but maybe we can save them for something in the near future.

That's good, hopefully it all works out for us, im on symphony on the 5th so will update you how it went. 

4 hours ago, Nina said:

Please can people from UK advise which at home test we can buy which will be acceptable to get into US and for cruise? 

Not sure what your plans are but remember that for entry into the US from UK test must be no more than 24hrs old and for  cruise 48 hrs. 

4 hours ago, Nina said:

Your is a tricky situation that should be more specifically addressed by RCL. It's not. Unanswered questions for you involve which, if any, monitored (proctored) COVID AG tests available to you in the UK are acceptable for pre-boarding health checks. I think Natalfaz's take above (test in the US if you can) is the most conservative approach. However, timing and ability to obtain a monitored test (in your hotel or in a US clinic) is problematic.

I'd offer these options: Because it isn't clear if RCL will accept a proctored AG test for pre-boarding health checks you might take in the UK (e.g., for your flight/to enter the US and within the 2d window for RCL's testing requirement), you could arrange for a health clinic based COVID test once you arrive in the US. Not sure your arrival location (Miami or Fort Lauderdale?) but both cities have lots of clinics that will do a Rapid AG COVID test that you will walk out the door with a printed copy of your test results. Uber/Lyft there and back. Spend some time searching the web for clinics in your arrival city that do COVID Rapid AG testing and make an appointment. Right now, you usually can't walk in.

You can try ordering the tests you need ASAP from Optum to be delivered to your hotel. Your sail date needs to be at least 10d away from your order date to allow for delivery delays. If you're closer to your sail date than that it gets risky. You can do this: 

Perhaps the easiest and least stressful and probably not a whole lot more than visiting a local clinic for your test(s) is the Concierge testing that RCL offers. You get your rapid test outside the terminal using a contracted vendor that administers it. Here's the link explaining this option and walking you through how it works. There's a link on the last page of this site to book an appointment, such test scheduling being associated with the ship/port you are sailing on/from. 

Best of luck - I know this can be stressful.

• 3 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 11:13 AM, Mike.s said:

Hi Mike, just letting you know how I got on with my testing. I didn’t go down the home testing route in the end because I wasn’t able to download the Navica, it wasn’t available in my region. It would be the same for you too I’d imagine. 

So we booked a free rapid test with Walgreens, got the results by email about 30 mins after our tests. It was a drive through, self administered test. If you have a car I’d recommend this for your trip if testing is still required.