If you test positive before the cruise

jack168

I live in Ontario (Canada), where they aren't providing PCR tests for regular citizens if you test positive. They'll only test you if you are deemed high-risk.

So, if I test positive on a rapid test before the cruise, it that a form acceptable to Royal?

From Royal's website:

"To qualify for a refund, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Royal Caribbean International"

We just ordered the Switch Health rapid antigen test kits that can be done from home (proctored) and from everything we have researched, a negative test will allow us to board our Air Canada flight and satisfy RCCL's test requirements.  If you are an aeroplan member, the tests are cheaper.  They can be purchased through switchhealth.ca and Air Canada's website.  For returning home, we have ordered the RT-Lamp test which we can take while at the pier before we leave the ship the last morning.  Purchased from the same provider and acceptable for flying home.

18 hours ago, jack_4321 said:

I live in Ontario (Canada), where they aren't providing PCR tests for regular citizens if you test positive. They'll only test you if you are deemed high-risk.

So, if I test positive on a rapid test before the cruise, it that a form acceptable to Royal?

From Royal's website:

"To qualify for a refund, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Royal Caribbean International"

In Ontario, I think you would need to purchase an at home Rapid Antigen test from Switch Health (or others that provide virtual screening) so that you have an actual document which shows the positive result.

If you mean a Rapid Antigen Test that is used for personal use without visual certification from a health care worker, then I don't think a photo would suffice.

I would contact RCCL just to make sure.

It just seems like it's getting more and more complicated. 

An update on my post above - Switch Health kits are Health Canada approved however after speaking with a Switch Health representative they are not US FDA approved therefore RCCL will not accept them upon boarding as current protocols specifically state approval requirements.  They are proctored and can be used for flying from Canada to the US but not for boarding the ship.  

I live in Ontario and tested positive from a rapid antigen test I took at shoppers drug mart the day before my cruise in January. I simply called royal carribean, told them I had tested positive, and they issued me a full refund. They never asked for my test results although I happily would have provided them. Pretty sure the official policy says you need proof of test results though so make sure you keep it just in case! Was very sad to miss my cruise but im hoping to rebook in March! 

On 1/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, recogneyes said:

An update on my post above - Switch Health kits are Health Canada approved however after speaking with a Switch Health representative they are not US FDA approved therefore RCCL will not accept them upon boarding as current protocols specifically state approval requirements.  They are proctored and can be used for flying from Canada to the US but not for boarding the ship.  

I just wanted to provide this link: https://www.fda.gov/media/155123/download

This lists approval for the SD Biosensor (including address on test kit etc from the box) from the SWITCH health kits and it is designated as Emergency Use Authorization by the FDA on Jan 5, 2022 🙂 So it is now approved! I printed a copy of it to bring to the cruise ship 😄

Wow, that is a very detailed document - I read it twice and it would appear that these tests could in fact work for cruising.  Thank you so much for sharing! The only issue I could see would be the wording about testing twice within 3 days...obviously RCCL just requires the one test.  I've emailed switch health and will circle back with RCCL.  Confirmation either way would be so helpful to the Canadians who are planning to cruise in the near term.  I will share if I receive a response.  Thanks again!

7 hours ago, recogneyes said:

Wow, that is a very detailed document - I read it twice and it would appear that these tests could in fact work for cruising.  Thank you so much for sharing! The only issue I could see would be the wording about testing twice within 3 days...obviously RCCL just requires the one test.  I've emailed switch health and will circle back with RCCL.  Confirmation either way would be so helpful to the Canadians who are planning to cruise in the near term.  I will share if I receive a response.  Thanks again!

8 hours ago, NC350 said:

I just wanted to provide this link: https://www.fda.gov/media/155123/download

This lists approval for the SD Biosensor (including address on test kit etc from the box) from the SWITCH health kits and it is designated as Emergency Use Authorization by the FDA on Jan 5, 2022 🙂 So it is now approved! I printed a copy of it to bring to the cruise ship 😄

Thanks for that info.  I’m going to do the Shoppers Antigen on the way to the USA and the Switch Health Kit on the way back to Ontario. I’ll also have a back a plan if any issues with the test on the way back. 

It will be interesting to hear as this is what it say about it .  What is interesting is that the Abbott ID Now one  https://www.fda.gov/media/147251/download states exactly the same thing as the SD Biosensor regarding testing twice...

Let us know what you find out. This changes quickly so updated info is great to know.  
Who knows what will change for our March cruise. 

1 hour ago, YellowBrickRoad said:

I’m going to do the Shoppers Antigen on the way to the USA and the Switch Health Kit on the way back to Ontario. I’ll also have a back a plan if any issues with the test on the way back. 

Are you driving?  I thought from one of your previous that you mentioned that you are.  The only concern with the Switch Health tests is what address it uses on the results document.  If you cross back through the land border, the return PCR must have a US based address.  That is not the case for air travel but land has that condition.

53 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Are you driving?  I thought from one of your previous that you mentioned that you are.  The only concern with the Switch Health tests is what address it uses on the results document.  If you cross back through the land border, the return PCR must have a US based address.  That is not the case for air travel but land has that condition.

Wow. That’s interesting.  I talked to SwitchHealth just now and they said that it would work for Land border crossing into Canada if taken in the USA.  I’ll have to check into it more.  

Thanks fir the info! 

Absolutely I will share any responses I receive form Switch Health and RCCL.  With regards to the LAMP test that is good to know about the US address requirement.  If the test is taken at the port on them morning of disembarkation, I'm thinking the address of the port would satisfy this requirement.

@YellowBrickRoad and @recogneyes I would love to hear how this goes for you both. When do you sail?

I would love to do the Switch Health option but wrote it off because I assumed the address would be a problem for me since I am testing onboard a ship. I cross from the Ambassador Bridge so I need the test to have a US based address.

50 minutes ago, YellowBrickRoad said:

Wow. That’s interesting.  I talked to SwitchHealth just now and they said that it would work for Land border crossing into Canada if taken in the USA.  I’ll have to check into it more.  

Thanks fir the info! 

37 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

Absolutely I will share any responses I receive form Switch Health and RCCL.  With regards to the LAMP test that is good to know about the US address requirement.  If the test is taken at the port on them morning of disembarkation, I'm thinking the address of the port would satisfy this requirement.

I just found this.  It's pretty recent, from a few days ago. 😐

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/01/16/relieved-but-what-a-nightmare-travellers-pre-entry-covid-test-questioned-by-border-officials/

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@YellowBrickRoad and @recogneyes I would love to hear how this goes for you both. When do you sail?

I would love to do the Switch Health option but wrote it off because I assumed the address would be a problem for me since I am testing onboard a ship. I cross from the Ambassador Bridge so I need the test to have a US based address.

I sail Mar 13 …..will keep you updated on what we find out and end up doing.  

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I just read it.  Hopefully, it gets cleared up and everyone is on the same page with this at the border.  Either way, I’m going to explore all my options.  

Thanks for this!

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That's my sail date too (on Oasis).  We will have to find out together I suppose lol.  But keep me posted if you find out anything else from Switch Health.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That's my sail date too (on Oasis).  We will have to find out together I suppose lol.  But keep me posted if you find out anything else from Switch Health.

Will Do! YAY! Same cruise!