Snorkeling excursion question (general)

skittermagoo

Soon-to-be first time cruiser here, and I have a snorkeling excursion planned for one day (scheduled through RCL).  Since I've never done this before, I have some general questions!

What should I bring off the ship with me for this, and do I need to worry about securing my stuff on the small boat while we are out in the water? 

Example: I'm planning to bring some cash, my ID, a credit card (?) and a photocopy of my passport in a bag of some sort. Should I also bring my phone? Do I need to secure these things to myself in a waterproof bag while I'm snorkeling, or can I leave them a tote bag with our towels and sunscreen on the snorkeling boat? If I leave it on the boat, do I need a lock for my bag? 

26 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Some snorkeling excursions we have been on had lockers. If not, we'll just leave our bag on the boat - I doubt Royal would continue to work with excursion operators that rob their customers. However, DH has a little wearable case that we use if we're planning on bringing lots of cash.

Thank you so much for this -- it eases my mind.  For the snorkeling trip, we may have some time in port after to do some shopping, but I wasn't planning to bring what I would call "lots" of cash with us. 

47 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We've been on many, many snorkeling, diving or beach excursions and never once have we had any issues with personal items.  I just bring a beach bag and put everything in there...never had a problem.

Perfect. This is exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

(We're "city mice", so we tend to be cautious about things like this)

I echo the idea that it’s fine to just leave your beach bag on the boat. I do bring my phone, and most times have ended up making friends on the excursion that I want to save their contact info. Also, not everyone is in the water all the time, some never actually snorkel, so there’s always someone to “watch your bag”. Do bring a little cash to tip the boat crew - they work hard!

On 1/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, skittermagoo said:

What should I bring off the ship with me for this

Not sure how snorkeling experienced you are. But one thing that will ruin your experience is mask fogging. I am an experienced scuba diver as well as snorkeler. One product I always bring, as well as my dive/snorkel buddies, is a small bottle of Johnson & Johnson No Tears Baby Shampoo. A few squirts, swish around in the mask, rinse out and no fogging. I have made many dives over 45 minutes with no fogging at all. And, no tears at all. I have a large bottle of this product at home and fill up a small 3 oz bottle travel before I go and that is good for many underwater experiences. Enjoy!😎

On 1/14/2022 at 7:50 PM, rjac said:

Not sure how snorkeling experienced you are. But one thing that will ruin your experience is mask fogging. I am an experienced scuba diver as well as snorkeler. One product I always bring, as well as my dive/snorkel buddies, is a small bottle of Johnson & Johnson No Tears Baby Shampoo. A few squirts, swish around in the mask, rinse out and no fogging. I have made many dives over 45 minutes with no fogging at all. And, no tears at all. I have a large bottle of this product at home and fill up a small 3 oz bottle travel before I go and that is good for many underwater experiences. Enjoy!😎

I used to dive, now too old [71], but didn't we use to just spit in the mask, rub it around, then wash it out [if we forgot our little bottle of name brand 'spit' or dish detergent]?  My memory fades I'm afraid.  The baby shampoo a much better way to go though, ha.  Mention the spit just as a last resort maybe?