Specialty dining reservation question regarding kids

Kelly826

3 hours ago, Kelly826 said:

Does anyone know what happens if I make a specialty dining reservation for my son who is 12 now but will be 13 before the cruise? Can I just pay the difference when on board or would I call Royal Caribbean once he turns 13 to make the adjustment? TIA

Unless I'm mistaken (it's been known to happen!), Cruise Planner should operate with his age the day of departure, not his present age.  On an earlier cancelled cruise, I was looking at pricing out The Key.  At the time, my youngest was 5, but he was turning 6 before we left.  CP required me to purchase for him, too, so it was factoring in his age when we cruised, not at present.  It was also the "old" Cruise Planner, so I'm not sure if that's a difference or not as well.

Thank you! Maybe it's changed but it is pricing anything (even excursions) that has a child price as him being a child. Thankfully I've only booked the waterpark at cococay so that didn't matter his age... I'll give Royal a call to see what they suggest. Not that I mind paying the child price at all, but he definitely has an adult appetite and palate so he will be pretty disappointed if he has to choose from the children's menu

On 1/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, Kelly826 said:

Thank you! Maybe it's changed but it is pricing anything (even excursions) that has a child price as him being a child. Thankfully I've only booked the waterpark at cococay so that didn't matter his age... I'll give Royal a call to see what they suggest. Not that I mind paying the child price at all, but he definitely has an adult appetite and palate so he will be pretty disappointed if he has to choose from the children's menu

Just book him at the child price the cruise planner is telling you for him, they’ll still let him order off the adult menu regardless.  My son is 10 now and for years I haven’t booked him the UDP at all because they only had adult pricing before and still do only have adult pricing for a few of our booked cruises ……, they’ve always let him order food off the adult menu as a child  …… probably 90% of the times we haven’t even been charged the $10/night they were supposed to charge him at each restaurant…… when that happens we always just add another $10 to the tip we would have given anyway.   You won’t have any problem at all with your son ordering off the adult menu if cruise planner only lets you purchase him the child’s UDP.