Rome - Port to FCO airport

Fred321

I'm booked out of Rome on Odyssey in Sep returning to port at 5am. The return flight I'm looking at out of FCO is at 12:00. I'm not familiar with the transportation/travel time/airport processing time there. I would really like that flight as its $2,000 cheaper (total savings for 4 of us ).

Is that enough time without any running? ( a couple of slow seniors 🙂 )

In theory, it's probably doable. You'd need to be at the airport absolutely no later than 9 am if you're flying internationally (apparently Rome Airport is not the most organised) and it takes around an hour from the port (if the traffic cooperates). That sounds like a rather stressful end to your cruise.

Can you stay an extra day and is there another flight the next day at a similar cost to the one you're looking at? If so, it would cost a lot less than the $2,000 you mention for the four of you to stay overnight in Rome and would be a much more relaxing end to your trip. Plus, what's not to like about having an extra day in Rome?

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

In theory, it's probably doable. You'd need to be at the airport absolutely no later than 9 am if you're flying internationally (apparently Rome Airport is not the most organised) and it takes around an hour from the port (if the traffic cooperates). That sounds like a rather stressful end to your cruise.

Can you stay an extra day and is there another flight the next day at a similar cost to the one you're looking at? If so, it would cost a lot less than the $2,000 you mention for the four of you to stay overnight in Rome and would be a much more relaxing end to your trip. Plus, what's not to like about having an extra day in Rome?

I guess I'll have to keep looking for flights then. an extra day isnt an option as we are coming in 3 days early and staying in Rome before the cruise.  Thanks though!!

34 minutes ago, Fred321 said:

I guess I'll have to keep looking for flights then. an extra day isnt an option as we are coming in 3 days early and staying in Rome before the cruise.  Thanks though!!

That's a pity. I hope you manage to sort something out. Fingers crossed for you.

11 hours ago, Fred321 said:

I'm booked out of Rome on Odyssey in Sep returning to port at 5am. The return flight I'm looking at out of FCO is at 12:00. I'm not familiar with the transportation/travel time/airport processing time there. I would really like that flight as its $2,000 cheaper (total savings for 4 of us ).

Is your cruise starting and ending at in Rome (Ciitavecchia) if so then the cruise is considered domestic because you starting and ending in the Schengen Zone so you basically walk off the ship collect your bags and walk out the terminal. Whenever I've done European cruises I've always booked private car to transport us to the airport from the cruise port. Citiavecchia is about 45 minutes to an hour from FCO. You could get off the ship at 7:30 am (or earlier if you want) and could be at the airport by 9 a.m. which is in my opinion more than enough time to make a 12 p.m. flight. 

If you really want to make that flight book private transportation from the cruise port do not use cruise ship provided transportation. You tell the company when you book at what time you want the private transportation to show up and in my experience the transportation has always been there.

6 hours ago, Zacharius said:

If you haven't already booked your flights, could you consider doing 2 days early and 1 day on the back end instead of 3 on the front and 0 on the back? 

Sometimes depending on the month you're traveling and the day you're traveling from Europe back to the U.S. the price difference in the ticket can be between $500 to 1,200 dollars more in coach if not more.  For people who don't want to spend that extra money plus the cost of a hotel coming back to the US the same day could end up saving them quite a bit of money especially if it is family of 4 or a group of 4 or 5 people traveling together. 

In Europe most cruises arrive early enough in port for people who may be a bit cost conscious to make a flight back to the U.S. the same day thus saving quite a bit of money.

For instance if your cruise arrives back at a European port on a Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday you could end up saving quite a bit of money flying home verses if you flew home on a Friday, Sunday or Monday. So if you cruise arrives in port on a Saturday, flying home on Sunday could be more expensive than the cruise itself in coach and you may not find an affordable ticket until Tuesday especially if the person of family is cost conscious. If you are not looking to make the airline rich it may just be worth it to get off the ship early on Saturday (for example only) hustle to the airport to make that Saturday afternoon flight and in turn save potentially thousands of dollars in the process.

13 hours ago, Fred321 said:

We are arriving 3 days early, my concern is departing and we cant stay an extra day.

Sorry, I had meant I usually stay one day after cruise (before departing on flight) to avoid any hassle.  Plus then I can stay up late on last night of cruise, not worry how I pack my luggage before leaving ship, leave late when debarking, and relax a day before heading home.  I realize this does not always work for others, but does for us.

Have a great trip

Before Covid coming back on cruise at the port getting to FCO with private transportation by 9am was quite feasible.  Now it doesn't seem logical, because Royal isn't providing Covid Testing like previously for reentry back into your home country. Getting Tested with paperwork to board the plane home is another added step, so better to fly out following day.  Who knows rules could change again and with Europe season not started yet no one knows how it will roll.  Many areas of Europe are requiring to enter with a test plus quarantine right now so that isn't going to work for many of us. 

Guess time will tell......do we sail Europe or Not this season or does Royal issue more cancelled sailings???  What if it's like now in some situations in Caribbean??? Floating the seas without being to stop at European ports.  Will it be worth it to jump the pond this Europe season or not?

10 hours ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

Before Covid coming back on cruise at the port getting to FCO with private transportation by 9am was quite feasible.  Now it doesn't seem logical, because Royal isn't providing Covid Testing like previously for reentry back into your home country. Getting Tested with paperwork to board the plane home is another added step, so better to fly out following day.  Who knows rules could change again and with Europe season not started yet no one knows how it will roll.  Many areas of Europe are requiring to enter with a test plus quarantine right now so that isn't going to work for many of us. 

Guess time will tell......do we sail Europe or Not this season or does Royal issue more cancelled sailings???  What if it's like now in some situations in Caribbean??? Floating the seas without being to stop at European ports.  Will it be worth it to jump the pond this Europe season or not?

Hmm this is news to me.. When this was rebooked ( rebooked because the original "inaugural" cruise was canceled), they DID provide the COVID test. I had not reveived any notice that changed. Does anyone have a link to the new proceedure or how to get the test quickly? It is NOT an option for us to return home a day later ( due to jobs )

1 hour ago, Fred321 said:

Hmm this is news to me.. When this was rebooked ( rebooked because the original "inaugural" cruise was canceled), they DID provide the COVID test. I had not reveived any notice that changed. Does anyone have a link to the new proceedure or how to get the test quickly? It is NOT an option for us to return home a day later ( due to jobs )

Royal hasn't made any announcements yet with respect to their European schedules and testing requirements for boarding the ship or for departure testing. 

1 hour ago, Fred321 said:

I would recommend purchasing the home covid tests through the Royal website.  You can take these tests yourself on the ship the day before and the results would be emailed to you.  You may also need them to test before boarding and they would be easier than trying to locate a testing center in Italy.

I am scheduled to cruise out of Rome in June.  We are staying both before and after, so I have planned to use these tests for all our required tests.

2 hours ago, Fred321 said:

It's impossible to know right now what the situation will be at the time of your cruise. When I sailed on Harmony in the Med last year, various governments required cruise ship passengers to be tested in the 48 hours prior to final disembarkation (this was definitely the case for Spain; not sure about Italy) so Royal had to provide that test or nobody would have been allowed off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Sooner or later the protocols will turn up on the Getting Ready to Cruise, so just keep checking here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

16 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Sometimes depending on the month you're traveling and the day you're traveling from Europe back to the U.S. the price difference in the ticket can be between $500 to 1,200 dollars more in coach if not more.  For people who don't want to spend that extra money plus the cost of a hotel coming back to the US the same day could end up saving them quite a bit of money especially if it is family of 4 or a group of 4 or 5 people traveling together. 

Yes, I am definitely aware of how much pricing can change, I practically live on planes. But I also know sometimes people get so set on an idea and may not think about researching alternatives, so I figured it was worth throwing out there. Wanting to spend three days in Rome doesn't mean it couldn't possibly be 2 + 1. 

36 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Yes, I am definitely aware of how much pricing can change, I practically live on planes. But I also know sometimes people get so set on an idea and may not think about researching alternatives, so I figured it was worth throwing out there. Wanting to spend three days in Rome doesn't mean it couldn't possibly be 2 + 1. 

I would be fine with that if I can get Royal to depart a day earlier and return a day earlier because We all have to be back to work the day after the cruise.. somehow I don’t think that’s gonna happen😁

4 hours ago, Zacharius said:

I know and I hope I didn't come off sounding condescending if so I apologize.  I was just trying to point out for some people it is totally worth it savings to hustle to the airport from the port especially if they are saving a nice piece of change on the return flight instead of waiting until the next day. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 5:31 AM, wordell1 said:

I would recommend purchasing the home covid tests through the Royal website.  You can take these tests yourself on the ship the day before and the results would be emailed to you.  You may also need them to test before boarding and they would be easier than trying to locate a testing center in Italy.

I am scheduled to cruise out of Rome in June.  We are staying both before and after, so I have planned to use these tests for all our required tests.

3 hours ago, Hharris1997 said:

We are going June too. Any advice on where to stay. We land and day leaving (I know not advised..schedule does allow for us to come day earlier). We are staying 1 night in Rome when we are done with cruise. Any advice on hotels would be great!

Hotel Cesari--close to the Trevi Fountain, Colesseum, Roman Forum & Pantheon. Vatican is about a half hour walk--recommended as you absorb many aspects of the beauty of Rome.

10 hours ago, Hharris1997 said:

We are going June too. Any advice on where to stay. We land and day leaving (I know not advised..schedule does allow for us to come day earlier). We are staying 1 night in Rome when we are done with cruise. Any advice on hotels would be great!

We are going in May and staying 2 nights before our cruise. We chose the Hotel Lancelot for its proximity to the Colosseum, which is what we specifically want to visit, and for the good reviews. They have been very responsive. We booked direct through their website and I received a confirmation email back from the owner containing lots of useful information. When I replied to thank her she replied back with even more information. She sounded so nice and helpful. 

Their website also has a ton of information, including the hotel's very interesting history and a number of walks complete with maps. Obviously it might not be the right hotel for your specific needs and I haven't stayed there yet so I'm writing this sight unseen but I have a good feeling about it. 

Here is the link to the website, if you want to take a look: https://www.lancelothotel.com/

11 hours ago, Hharris1997 said:

We are in Rome in July for 1 night & sailing with RC the following day. Rome is extremely hot & busy during the summer - so we have decided to stay slightly out of the hustle in close proximity to the Villa Borghese Gardens. This allows walks within the gardens with its fine historic monuments & lake, but within a 15 minute walk to the Spanish Steps & a further 10 mins walk to the Trevi fountains. We are staying in one of the ' NH Collection' chain of hotels ! Hope you enjoy & embrace Rome..😀

There are various transfer companies with good reputations.

We have previously used Bob's Limos https://romelimousines.com/home/ and were satisfied with the service. On that occasion, we flew in the same day as the cruise and arranged for them to meet us at Rome Airport and transfer us straight to Civitavecchia. We also arranged for them to pick us up again at the port at the end of our cruise for the return transfer back to the airport and, again, that all went well.

Other companies that I have seen frequently recommended and which provide similar services are:

Rome cabs: https://www.romecabs.com/

Civitavecchia Cab Service: https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Rome in LImo: http://www.romeinlimo.com/

It's just a case of looking through the websites and seeing which one you feel offers the most adequate service for your needs. A couple of them offer shared shuttle services and they all offer private ones at different price points, and with or without sightseeing tours.

It is also possible to DIY your transfers in either direction using the train. That option is a LOT cheaper but you pay for the savings in blood and sweat because it involves lugging your bags up and down stairs, on to the trains and either on to onward connecting transport such as a bus or going on foot and rolling your bags. I've made it sound awful but to be fair I've never done it myself. Plenty of people do, however, so if you're able-bodied and/or not bringing too much luggage it can be worthwhile. The amount you'd save would definitely pay for a meal or two in one of the specialty restaurants or maybe an excursion or two.

On a side note, @DGirl, what date are you sailing in May? We're on the 7th of May sailing.

35 minutes ago, DGirl said:

@FionaMGI’m also on May 7th sailing!  It looks like this is the first sailing after Odyssey does the trans-Atlantic crossing. I’m excited, this will be my first time leaving from a European port. 

Hey, that's great! 😊 Hope we get the chance to meet up on board.

You are right; it is the first one after the TA. I think quite a lot of people are doing the TA and then staying on for this one. It will be Odyssey's very first European cruise since her inaugural European season was cancelled last year, so that is very exciting too.

Have you taken a look at @twangster's recent live blog from on board Odyssey with lots of pics? 

On 1/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, FionaMG said:

There are various transfer companies with good reputations.

We have previously used Bob's Limos https://romelimousines.com/home/ and were satisfied with the service. On that occasion, we flew in the same day as the cruise and arranged for them to meet us at Rome Airport and transfer us straight to Civitavecchia. We also arranged for them to pick us up again at the port at the end of our cruise for the return transfer back to the airport and, again, that all went well.

Other companies that I have seen frequently recommended and which provide similar services are:

Rome cabs: https://www.romecabs.com/

Civitavecchia Cab Service: https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Rome in LImo: http://www.romeinlimo.com/

It's just a case of looking through the websites and seeing which one you feel offers the most adequate service for your needs. A couple of them offer shared shuttle services and they all offer private ones at different price points, and with or without sightseeing tours.

It is also possible to DIY your transfers in either direction using the train. That option is a LOT cheaper but you pay for the savings in blood and sweat because it involves lugging your bags up and down stairs, on to the trains and either on to onward connecting transport such as a bus or going on foot and rolling your bags. I've made it sound awful but to be fair I've never done it myself. Plenty of people do, however, so if you're able-bodied and/or not bringing too much luggage it can be worthwhile. The amount you'd save would definitely pay for a meal or two in one of the specialty restaurants or maybe an excursion or two.

On a side note, @DGirl, what date are you sailing in May? We're on the 7th of May sailing.

Good information on the trains,  we are very fit early 60’s and most importantly both former Air Force so we know how to efficiently pack meaning two bags under 50 lbs and a small backpack for both of us.   We have done trains in Copenhagen, London and even Miami,   Be very curious if anyone can share experience.   Copenhagen was clean cheap and likely twice as fast as a taxi.   Miami not bad either but had to take a tram from Metro train to hotel and unfortunately in US the street people are more obvious and some may consider risky.

23 hours ago, Jelliot4 said:

Good information on the trains,  we are very fit early 60’s and most importantly both former Air Force so we know how to efficiently pack meaning two bags under 50 lbs and a small backpack for both of us.   We have done trains in Copenhagen, London and even Miami,   Be very curious if anyone can share experience.   Copenhagen was clean cheap and likely twice as fast as a taxi.   Miami not bad either but had to take a tram from Metro train to hotel and unfortunately in US the street people are more obvious and some may consider risky.

I have not used the trains myself but my impression, from reading other posts and reviews, is that they are quite efficient. You can book directly on the website here: https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html although I believe only a few months ahead of time.

There is a dedicated "cruisers express" train between the port and Rome city centre but it is really intended for use by people on a port call (2 from the port to Rome in the morning and 2 back from Rome to the port in the afternoon) so the timing does not work for embarkation unless you have a very late departure.

Civitavecchia port itself also has a very helpful website for cruisers here: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. I booked airfare using Air2Sea which departs FCO at 12:15pm (they offered a flight as early as 10:50 which seems really crazy). I plan to walk off with our luggage and will have a private transfer take us the airport. The ship arrives at 5am, but I'm not sure when I should expect to be off the ship... 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:57 PM, Fred321 said:

What i can tell you, the shutlle from Civitavechia to Rome, takes about 1.30 Hours. To get the Airoport, you have enough Time. The Airport in Rome is Pretty small, easy to walk four a slow couple that has their best Years still to come. 😉 If there are tests or not and how ling it goes, i really don`t know maybe until then, things may have changed.

Bonus Tip if you visit Rome and you want to inside of the Colloseum. There are many poeple standing in line for a ticket to go in there. Here comes the Tip, if you are in front of the Colloseum, where everyone else stands in Line, turn 180°, now on your right hand side is a small Park. You can buy a Ticket for the small Park wich includes the entrance to the Colloseum. With this ticket you don`t need to wait in line. There are Tourist Guides who are looking for Persons that already have a ticket, to show them the way.

On 1/11/2022 at 12:57 PM, Fred321 said:

Looks like some are leaving from rome/civi to go on sept. holy land cruise and then back home on trans atlantic,,,,we are but want to stay in rome for

5 days prior, we are bonvoy members and know about the marriotts there but not keen on the rest of bonvoy hotel list there, any tips using bonvoy

points for a hotel stay other than marriott in rome?

On 2/17/2022 at 11:22 AM, silentfaith said:

Looks like some are leaving from rome/civi to go on sept. holy land cruise and then back home on trans atlantic,,,,we are but want to stay in rome for

5 days prior, we are bonvoy members and know about the marriotts there but not keen on the rest of bonvoy hotel list there, any tips using bonvoy

points for a hotel stay other than marriott in rome?

We stayed at the Westin Excelsior, Rome back in 2018 and enjoyed the hotel very much. We were able to walk around Rome and see many of the tourist sites as they were not far at all. We were able to use my wife's points for that hotel. Checking the Bonvoy app, it does show that you can use your points there.