Cancelling After Final Payment Questions

Va4fam

We are less than two weeks away from our 11 day Anthem cruise.  Unfortunately, we are most likely going to cancel.  

Since we are already past final payment date,  I think our options are somewhat limited for getting a refund.  Future Cruise Credit should still be an option.  Our TA said we must rebook by April 30th AND travel in 2022.   Is this correct? 

We have 2 more cruises planned this year (with different TA) and a lot of family obligations coming up.  It will be difficult finding enough time to take another trip later this year.

Here are my questions:

1-Do we have any options for a refund?

2-What strategies do you suggest for using the FCC this year, or even extending to 2023?    Can we use the FCC on one of our other cruises? 

3-Is there another option we should be considering?

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you cancel under the reason "do not like the new protocols", can't you get a refund?  I seem to recall a few here on the boards getting refunds for that reason.

I got some refunds for cancelling due to COVID protocols but they were all prior to final payment.  I have been reading of others who have been getting refused cash refunds so I don't know if they are still allowing cash refunds for "protocols" or if they have changed that option.  It was never a really documented option to begin with....it was never anywhere in writing and was only relayed to TAs via an informational letter.  This is the primary reason that I submitted ALL of my cruises through 3-31-22 for refund when I did b/c I was pretty confident that they would eventually end the cash refund option....and it [apparently] happened even sooner than I thought it would.

At any rate, it is certainly worth a try for the OP to try and get a cash refund.  IMO that is always preferable to an FCC but I wouldn't hold my breath for getting my money back.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

At any rate, it is certainly worth a try for the OP to try and get a cash refund.  IMO that is always preferable to an FCC but I wouldn't hold my breath for getting my money back.

I totally agree.  And the other problem is also that some FCCs are taking so long to come in, you might not even get them in time to apply by April or May 2022 or whatever the deadline is.  I am still waiting for a set of FCCs from an August 2021 cancellation!

So @Va4fam, I agree with @WAAAYTOOO, I would push real hard for a refund due to "protocols" at this point.

24 minutes ago, fireclan said:

Was your cruise booked before the protocols were established? If it was, that would make a strong argument for a full cash refund. I've cancelled three so far, all booked prior to protocols, and have received cash refunds.

The cruise was booked before the pandemic started.  Original sail date was mid January 2021.   Royal shutdown made it necessary to move it via Lift and Ship to January 2022.  Does that help our cause?

52 minutes ago, KJones said:

I think FCC issued through CWC have to be applied to a booking by May 31, 2022 for a sailing that departs by Dec 31, 2022.

We will ask for the cash refund, but if we can't get it, will we be required to wait for the FCC to appear in a few months?  If that's true, can we use the FCC to pay for the cruise fare before the new final payment is due?

Or can we rebook and apply the fare now  towards the new booking without waiting for FCC?

51 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Or on a sailing departing before one year after the original sail date.

Well.....the original sail date was January 2021.  It was moved by Royal to January 2022.  I thought we would have until January 2023 but the TA says sail date must be in 2022.  Very confusing and not sure what information is correct.

So last time I spoke to Royal here is what I was told…if you cancel with CWC and your cruise was not paid with FCC you will receive FCC and you can choose a sailing date up until a year from date of the cruise you are cancelling.  BUT…if you used any FCC for the cruise you are now cancelling with CWC…you will get FCC which you must book your new cruise by May 31,2022 and sail by Dec 31, 2022.  Prices are not protected…nothing is.  Very sad!!!

11 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you cancel under the reason "do not like the new protocols", can't you get a refund?  I seem to recall a few here on the boards getting refunds for that reason.

Correct.  I did get a cash refund for my Grandeur sailing out of Barbados in December, which was paid in full, using this exact reason, and they didn't argue. (my TA made the phone call, but I instructed them to use that verbiage when explaining my desire to cancel). 

OP:  All you can do is ask!

I am wondering about one in our travel group who is unvaxxed and chooses to remain so. We booked our upcoming cruise before the vax requirement was put in place by Royal. He is my son's friend and I've paid for his deposit. I'm hoping that they will refund his deposit to me rather than issuing FCC in his name. I don't see Royal doing away with the vax requirement by this summer.

Update--we are not going on the cruise next week and officially cancelled.   My wife tested positive for COVID yesterday which made our decision for us.  

Unfortunately we are now getting flooded with all of the "Get ready to Sail" emails from Royal and preparing y to be hit by another snowstorm in Virginia this weekend. 

Maybe next month's cruise will work out better. 

Everyone stay healthy and enjoy your crusies.