Can't find answer - Positive COVID test for one but not the other

Funeegal

Hi - I am booked on a weekend cruise at the end of March with a friend.  We do not live together and are in different states.  If one of us tests positive and the other does not, can the one person still sail on the cruise?  I am sure the answer is yes, but I would like the specifics of refunds and/or FCC and C&A points.

1.  If Jane Doe is a no show at port, then I know they get their port fees and taxes back, but "lose" the cruise fare.  John Doe sails single and gets regular C&A points.  The cruise fare is lost or reimbursed by John Doe to Jane Doe or whatever the two decide.

2. Jane Doe calls RCL and lets them know they tested positive for COVID.  Jane gets fully reimbursed.  Can John Doe still go on the cruise?  Does John need to pay more?  Does John then get the single sailing C&A cruise points?

3.  Any scenario I am missing?  John would still go on the cruise (if negative COVID) even if Jane cannot.  Sorry not sorry!  😉

21 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

1.  If Jane Doe is a no show at port, then I know they get their port fees and taxes back, but "lose" the cruise fare.  John Doe sails single and gets regular C&A points.  The cruise fare is lost or reimbursed by John Doe to Jane Doe or whatever the two decide.

John Doe sails single and will get solo sailing C&A points (one extra point per night).  Port fees and taxes for Jane Doe are returned to the form of payment.

22 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

2. Jane Doe calls RCL and lets them know they tested positive for COVID.  Jane gets fully reimbursed.  Can John Doe still go on the cruise?  Does John need to pay more?  Does John then get the single sailing C&A cruise points?

The only way Jane gets fully reimbursed is to entirely cancel the cabin.  Then the entire cruise fare will be reimbursed.  John Doe can not sail on the cruise if Jane Doe expects to get refunded with proof of a positive COVID test.

Note: They ask on the boarding questionnaire if you've tested positive for COVID in the past 10 days, so keep that in mind. 

You are eligible for a full refund on the cabin if you have proof of a positive COVID test in the 14 days prior to boarding.  The entire cabin has to cancel to get the refund.

1 hour ago, Funeegal said:

Hi - I am booked on a weekend cruise at the end of March with a friend.  We do not live together and are in different states.  If one of us tests positive and the other does not, can the one person still sail on the cruise?  I am sure the answer is yes, but I would like the specifics of refunds and/or FCC and C&A points.

3.  Any scenario I am missing?  John would still go on the cruise (if negative COVID) even if Jane cannot.  Sorry not sorry!  😉

1) John Doe can’t sail single without paying for 2 people no matter what.  If Jane Doe tests positive and John Doe still wants to go ……. Jane Doe would get her port charges and taxes refunded as a “no show” …….then the right thing to do would be for John Doe to reimburse Jane Doe for the rest of her cruise fare, because at that point as a single, John Doe would have to pay even more for a single cruise fare at 200% of the current cruise fare if she cancelled instead of no showed.  John Doe will get the double C&A points as a single.

2) If John Doe calls and tells them Jane Doe is in another state and tested positive, they MIGHT say neither Jane nor John can go on the cruise.  You’ll also have to provide proof of the positive test for you both to get refunded if they do say neither of you can go.  
Either way, if one of you sails and not the other, they won’t refund anything that was paid other than the port charges and taxes for the one who doesn’t sail. ….. the one sailing still has to pay the full cruise fare and gets the double C&A points. You’d BOTH have to cancel because of her positive Covid test for them to do a refund of cruise fare.

1 hour ago, ChrisK2793 said:

1) John Doe can’t sail single without paying for 2 people no matter what.  If Jane Doe tests positive and John Doe still wants to go ……. Jane Doe would get her port charges and taxes refunded as a “no show” …….then the right thing to do would be for John Doe to reimburse Jane Doe for the rest of her cruise fare, because at that point as a single, John Doe would have to pay even more for a single cruise fare at 200% of the current cruise fare if she cancelled instead of no showed.  John Doe will get the double C&A points as a single.

Thanks to those who replied.  VERY helpful!  My friend and I have discussed this at length and we know the risks.  Of course if one of us chose to sail, we would reimburse the other for the cruise fare.  I wasn't sure if there was a benefit for letting RCL know or just "no showing".

One more question...in order to no show for Jane Doe, John Doe would just tell RCL upon check-in at the port?

1 hour ago, Funeegal said:

Of course if one of us chose to sail, we would reimburse the other for the cruise fare.  I wasn't sure if there was a benefit for letting RCL know or just "no showing".

One more question...in order to no show for Jane Doe, John Doe would just tell RCL upon check-in at the port?

Absolutely no benefit to letting them know ahead of time there's going to be a no show, either for you or them.  You can just tell them when checking in if they ask about the other party. 

If both of you sail and you don't check in at the same time, that's absolutely not an issue either. You don't have to have the entire party there to board the ship unless there are minors involved.