Any Problems Trying To Get Covid Test 2 Day Prior To Sailing?

Welcome to the message boards!

I recommend the at-home tests.

Earlier this summer it was no problem to get a test at a pharmacy near me, but now it's really difficult.  Not to mention you're potentially exposing yourself to someone who has Covid by going to a test site.

9 hours ago, Great2BatSea said:

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems when trying to get your Rapid Covid test taken 2 days prior to sailing?  Did you have to go to multiple places before you were able to get one done?   Hopefully I am concerned for no reason.  Thanks in advance.

Yea, the stress is through the roof isn't it! Making the appointment hard enough...then sweating a possible positive [real or false].  We've gone to ordering the proctored at home EMED tests but as a 'backup'...while making appointment at a close by pharmacy.  For an October cruise, we had to travel 50 miles one way to a pharmacy that had openings.  We always make the appointments as far in advance as possible, usually about 2 weeks.  Be sure to check the expiration dates if the EMED [probably easiest to do].  We were burned on 4 of the 6 tests that are now past expiration date for our next cruise late Jan.  I think expiration dates are to Novemeber 2022 now though.  Good luck.  Someday this will all be history and we go back to sweating fares and if we get a balcony or not, ha.  

Thanks everyone for all of your recommendations and taking time to respond to my question.  I appreciate each reply!  As LinRon2 said, "Someday this will all be history!" Let's hope it's sooner than later.  From all your responses, we have definitely decided to make two appointments at different places, one as a backup, and we will probably order home tests from EMED, too. The stress will still be escalated until we get our results.   Who would have ever believed this would be our world today?  Thanks again!   🙂

I ordered Binax Now home tests through Emed as my back up.  I book appointments 2 weeks out at CVS. The CVS I use has travel only testing, and happens to be rapid PCR., some of the CVS are rapid antigen and others are regular PCR-those might have an extended turnaround.

I wound up using my Emed for my college kids to come home. I used one for me when I thought my typical sinus issues could be Covid, and tested positive but immediately went to urgent care and tested negative on a PCR, so my faith is not in those rapid tests.

my stepdaughter went to use my last rapid test for our cruise but it was expired by 3 days.  Very pissed as I ordered them in Sept from Emed, and the expiration  was October but FDA had extended by 3 months….so she had to scramble for her testing (she had accidentally booked a CVS PCR test with results in “3-5 days”.)

Has anyone done a local pharmacy Rapid Antigen test as the pre-cruise requirement? We have an appointment at CVS the day before sailing out of Tampa and results are supposed to be available within "a few hours". My concern is....Is the documentation of results they provide acceptable to RC?  And....has anyone opted to do the test at the terminal on cruise day? Thoughts???? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Dave SeaPup 2 said:

Has anyone done a local pharmacy Rapid Antigen test as the pre-cruise requirement? We have an appointment at CVS the day before sailing out of Tampa and results are supposed to be available within "a few hours". My concern is....Is the documentation of results they provide acceptable to RC?  And....has anyone opted to do the test at the terminal on cruise day? Thoughts???? Thanks.

I’ve used CVS for every test each of my past 4 cruises. As long as you booked the antigen or rapid PCR you should have your results quickly.  I drive 45 minutes to a CVS community testing site set up for travel only.  I wait around the area for my rapid PCR result because if it’s inconclusive I will go back in for a second test.  (Hasn’t happened)

I recommend you set up the Cvs My  chart account. You can access your results without it but the chart seemed to present the results better. 

Pattycruise, Thanks for the CVS Info. Yes, I'll set up CVS My Chart when I get the test so results are on it.  We are sailing out of Tampa and getting tested at the terminal is always a last resort option. I have noticed that even up to the time of sailing, there are many appointments available .... $105 each, however. The fact that ships are only about 40% full probably helps in that regard. Again, Thanks

•  

Great informative comments. We are scheduled for CVS Rapid Antigen test the day before sailing out of Tampa on Brilliance. We too were concerned about the documentation....lab # etc. Could it be that the Rapid Antigen tests do not actually go to a lab like PCR tests do and therefore no lab # is indicated? 

On 1/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, Matt said:

Welcome to the message boards!

I recommend the at-home tests.

Earlier this summer it was no problem to get a test at a pharmacy near me, but now it's really difficult.  Not to mention you're potentially exposing yourself to someone who has Covid by going to a test site.

Which test do you recommend again?  I am looking for the blog post about it, but not seeing it.