BinaxNow test kits ~ edited

TammyMK

9 hours ago, JeffB said:

Here are my thoughts on test kits:

• A six-pac of BinaxNow, proctored, Rapid AG tests from eMed costs $180 including "next day" delivery from FEDEX. It's seems that "next" day means within 3-5d not including weekends. I suspect delays mentioned above are from the distributor of the tests issuing a shipping label then not getting the package in the hands of FEDEX quickly enough, also mentioned above.
  • That's $30/test that will last you and your partner for 3 cruises in about an 11 month period. Tests ordered and received in January 2022 seem to have November expiration dates. Mine did and others have seen the same.
  • You may be tempted (due to lack of the un-proctored self tests that are available) but don't use these tests except for travel where a proctored test result is required. The proctored tests are expensive compared to the un-proctored model. Those will will either be free by Saturday or in a week or so both models will be covered by health insurance.
  • Abbott Labs test production is scaling up and both proctored and un-proctored tests will be more readily available over the coming weeks. Don't panic buy, don't horde. 
  • Use un-proctored tests (when you can get them) to test if you have COVID symptoms and are worried about spreading it/think you need to isolate or insuring you have cleared the infection after 5d. Don't test needlessly and without symptoms unless you are positive you've been in "close contact" with an  infected person. Be aware that testing too early in an Omicron COVID infection will produce a false negative result. Avoid testing before 48h from symptom onset or exposure. As well, don't rush post symptom testing for return to work/normal routine. Wait at least 5d from symptom onset or exposure and no fever. If you push it, you'll get a positive result and wasted a test. Be patient. 
  • The hallmark symptoms of Omicron induced COVID are a sore throat, fever > 99.0F and in some cases, body aches. These hallmark features will be accompanied by a runny nose and paroxysmal sneezing. Cough, if there is one, is dry and unproductive.
  • A constellation of symptoms that doesn't match these is probably influenza, your common cold induced by the every day coronavirus or a mucous productive cough caused by the bacterium M. Pneumoniae that quickly resolves with a Z-Pk and a 5d course of prednisone. Know the differences.
  • The Navica app (available at the play store for Android and Apple for Apple phones) is nice and will store all your BinaxNow proctored and un-proctored test results for you to display to officials checking for negative COVID tests but recommend you print hard-copy results. A loss of network connection or availability of WIFI will make it impossible for you access the app just when you need it. You will be THAT PERSON in line that is holding up boarding.  

Good info, I would add that you can use your HCAP card to pay directly for these tests - which reduces the cost by whatever your tax rate is.  

17 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yesterday I was told (over the phone and by follow up email) that my order issue was being escalated to "Level 3 customer support". 

…but what they don’t tell you is, although it went to “Level 3” they actually have 50 levels of customer support. Levels 1 through 10 are the “Make it look like we give a crap” level. Levels 40 through 50 are the “Gee, this one just won’t go away” level. Good luck!😂

On 1/11/2022 at 7:04 PM, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

Given what I have seen here, I ordered 2 kits for our March cruise today.  Will update shipping status and stuff in due course.

Left Oakland CA on Wednesday, now in Ft Worth, and scheduled for delivery tomorrow before ipm

On 1/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, Neesa said:

When in March? My sister is going March 13th and I am unsure about the expiration situation BUT then I read @SpeedNoodlesordeal. The lines right now everywhere are long, this home one seems the way to go, but I am torn does she order it now or later & risk not getting it in time? 

We are also March 13th, on Allure

I'm glad I read this thread! I ordered from emed on 1/7 and it still shows order open and tracking number pending.  I see that others have ordered after me or the same day as me and already received theirs.  I will be calling them today.  We are planning on testing on the 28th with them so hopefully it will ship soon!!

53 minutes ago, Ktcruiser said:

I'm glad I read this thread! I ordered from emed on 1/7 and it still shows order open and tracking number pending.  I see that others have ordered after me or the same day as me and already received theirs.  I will be calling them today.  We are planning on testing on the 28th with them so hopefully it will ship soon!!

Me too.  Same exact situation...

1-7.jpg

1 hour ago, instaGator said:

Me too.  Same exact situation...

1-7.jpg

I just got off the phone with emed.  It seems that my order was delayed multiple days and it was longer than my credit card company allows holds.  I guess my credit card company (Capital One) wouldn't process the payment so it wont ship.  Good thing I called 🥴.   They cancelled my order and told me to go online and reorder.  I am afraid that if I place the order on a Friday again, I will be in the came problem.  I am going to reorder on Monday and hope for the best.  I still have a little bit of time but starting to cut it close!  Hope you can get your order issues resolved! 

2 hours ago, Ktcruiser said:

I just got off the phone with emed.  It seems that my order was delayed multiple days and it was longer than my credit card company allows holds.  I guess my credit card company (Capital One) wouldn't process the payment so it wont ship.  Good thing I called 🥴.   They cancelled my order and told me to go online and reorder.  I am afraid that if I place the order on a Friday again, I will be in the came problem.  I am going to reorder on Monday and hope for the best.  I still have a little bit of time but starting to cut it close!  Hope you can get your order issues resolved! 

I just called too.  They said that there was no issue with my credit card, so they elevated my case to "Level 3 Customer Support" like @SpeedNoodles.  I will give them the weekend, but then I am going to copy your plan.  However, I will wait until Tuesday because Monday is a holiday.

I'm providing a link to a very useful web site that allows you to select the kind of COVID test you want (15 of them listed and I'll get to those in a minute) along with selecting  the usual distributors/vendors (a bunch of them) and find out when the one's you're looking for are in stock.

I found the web site - Find an At-Home COVID Test On-Line -  last night, picked out the two test kits I was interested in (Abbott's BinaxNow ($19-$23 for a two pack) and Lucira's AG test ($26 for a two pack) not the Molecular version, one test, which is expensive at $85 - this one is similar to tests being used in point of care, airport travel centers and elsewhere. It is not a PCR test and I'm not sure if RCL will accept a molecular test in place of a PCR. I tend to think they will for your unvaxed kiddos you may need them for.

The web site apparently is connected to the distributors of the tests and queries stock at 5 minute intervals 24/7. When a distributor shows product in stock, you get a text. I set mine up last night around 9pm and went to bed at 10:30. At 11:02 (I was asleep) I got a text saying they were available at Walmart. By morning they were gone and the web site says, demand is so high for the BinaxNow tests, product is usually gone in 5 minutes.  

Lo, at 8:30am, I got a text that the Abbott test kits were available on-line at Walgreens, jumped on it and got 3 test kits at $23 ($79 w/tax, free shipping) into my basket, checked out, got order confirmation immediately and a shipping (FEDEX Standard - 3-5 business days) notification about two hours later. As I mentioned up-thread along with others, the "shipped" email means the test kits have probably been boxed and a FEDEX label prepared. That does not mean that the box is in the hands of FEDEX and has left the Walgreen's warehouse. That takes a day or most of one. So, you can't track the FEDEX number right away. BTW, afterI got my 3 from Walgreens, I went back to check and not in stock was displayed. So, yeah, gotta be quick.

On the 13 FDA/EUA COVID test kits available, I have only studied the Abbott and Lucira Rapid AG test and Molecular test products. I can recommend these because I know they are easy to administer and they have high sensitivity and specificity probabilities (90/98% respectively). There's about a 2% false positive rate on any of these test kits. I'm reading that creeps up with Omicron but isn't a show stopper IMO. The Lucira molecular test would be great if RCL will accept it in place of a PCR (technically PCR and Molecular tests are similar in how they work and what they are measuring within the SARS-CoV2 virus). Other tests such as On/Go seem to be available - I'm not so sure about these; InteliSwab and Ellum I'm more sure of but I recommend you do your own research on these test kits to see if they work for you.  An important lesson here is that there are 15 COVID test kits available through this web site. Look beyond BinaxNow. Also, the distributors and vendors are legit. You've probably read about phoney web sites pushing COVID test kits. Stay away!

Good hunting!

https://www.findacovidtest.org/

On 1/11/2022 at 7:04 PM, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

Given what I have seen here, I ordered 2 kits for our March cruise today.  Will update shipping status and stuff in due course.

17 hours ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

Left Oakland CA on Wednesday, now in Ft Worth, and scheduled for delivery tomorrow before ipm

Arrived here a few moments ago.  Expiry Date is : 2022/11/20

Start to finish from order to delivery, 3 days

1 hour ago, instaGator said:

My saga continues.  My advice is don't wait around.  Call, call and call again if you are pending.

emed.pdf 108.24 kB · 0 downloads

emed screen.png

I'm sorry!  That sounds like what happened to me.  Thanks for the reminder that Monday is a holiday.  I think I might still order on Monday.  I am getting nervous and just want them here!  

...... a continuation of my post above about the https://www.findacovidtest.org/ web site.

Over the last week, I've read several scientific articles (they're in the lay press too) about the value of COVID tests using saliva as the test medium. Obvious advantages apply but the one I noted that makes sense is that a saliva test is more likely to catch Omicron earlier than the now in favor anterior nasal swab commonly found in most of the available at home tests and FDA/EU approved.

Saliva tests are PCR tests and they take the standard up to 72h to get results so, these may not be needed by you. For kiddos they are an option although going to a clinic (assuming you schedule your clinic appointments far enough in advance to lock one in (usually 2 weeks or more) may be easier and starting today, your insurance will cover them. If you want to go the home test route, they'll be covered but you'll have to submit a claim for reimbursement.

This is the cheapest one I found ($89) and it's equivalent in price and function to the Lucira products I mentioned above.

https://vitagene.com/products/covid-19-saliva-test-kit/

48 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Doe 12/16/21 include the 3 month extension?

Smokey, did you mean to post this on the other thread discussing the end of the CSO? I know DOE does get involved with the Cruise Lines but to what extent and as to how this pertains to the CSO, I have no clue. Clarification - or maybe i'm missing part of the thread you posted this in???

9 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Smokey, did you mean to post this on the other thread discussing the end of the CSO? I know DOE does get involved with the Cruise Lines but to what extent and as to how this pertains to the CSO, I have no clue. Clarification - or maybe i'm missing part of the thread you posted this in???

No it was a typo due to my 's' key sticking a lot.

Does 12/16/21 include the 3 month extension on test expiry.

According to an article by The Points Guy, Abbott released a letter on Abbott Labs letter head that had a list of all ID numbers of their tests that had been released before May, 2021. It explained that all the Abbott tests included in the list were extended for 3 months. The article, written in November, 2021 noted that the FDA had authorized the extension of all Abbott Labs Rapid AG tests for 3 months past the expiration date on the box so, if you have one dated 12/16/21 as an expiration date, it will expire on 3/16/22.

The article commented that Abbott did not respond to an inquiry to clarify extending expiration dates of all their Rapid AG tests. However I found an April 6th 2021 letter from the FDA that appears to me to be an all tests sold inclusive permission to allow Abbott Labs to use a 15 month instead of a 12 month shelf life.

https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download

I had some expired tests that I used in July and again in August based on the May letter and I carried that with me just in case. Terminal Staff did not question the dates of the expired tests on pre-boarding screening during both occasions. A photo was taken of both my CDC shot card and the paper test result I presented. Also note that I use the Navica App and it has both a text record and QR code in it. I didn't use that but in both cases the date of expiration of the test you used when you scanned the bar code into the app to start the testing process is in there.

TBC, that does not mean someone else screening the testing records (e.g., ship's staff) will not see that the test you used was expired but by that time you are already aboard it might be moot. My take is that if that happened and you were questioned by ship's security staff, I'd plead ignorance. Once you do that the right thing for the cruise line to do would be to test you on board and send you on your way. First, I recommend you carry the a copy of the linked FDA letter with you if you think you have expired (12 months after the expiration date on the box) with you but don'toffer it unless challenged during pre- or after boarding. Based on that letter, your December issued tests should be good exactly 3 months after the expiration date on the text box (in your Navica app or on a printed test result. I can't imagine that between the time you board and the time the ship departs that a staff member is going to screen thousands of those pictures that were snapped of your COVID test results but I suppose it could happen and you could be questioned about it ..... but you have the FDA letter with you, right? Show it and head for the bar. 

Follow practices you are comfortable with and don't ever mention, some guy posting on the RCL message boards said you could use expired tests because they were extended! Through March you have proof they have been.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Doe 12/16/21 include the 3 month extension?

Considering they are mailing people test kits that expire well into 2022 I placed my order.  To send expired product-even if there might be a 3 month extension-is ridiculous.  I  have cruises through June (even into October-but I figured that would be a stretch).  These would only be useful for my Jan/Feb cruises (assuming there is an extension).  I'm sure the company will make it right, if not I will have do a dispute with my credit card company. 

I already had my last test of 6 tests-which was expired by Jan with the extension (ordered in September) be bad by 3 days for a cruise.  I'm not doing that again.  Like I said I only ordered from them again because I saw they were sending out tests that were valid through the end of 2022.

41 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Based on that letter, your December issued tests should be good exactly 3 months after the expiration date on the text box (in your Navica app or on a printed test result. I can't imagine that between the time you board and the time the ship departs that a staff member is going to screen thousands of those pictures that were snapped of your COVID test results but I suppose it could happen and you could be questioned about it ..... but you have the FDA letter with you, right? Show it and head for the bar. 

They shouldn't be mailing tests that were already expired and then say anything like "oh, but it's good for 3 more months".   that 3 month time frame won't cover my March or beyond cruises.  (it would cover Jan/Feb)
If they want to do that then they need to put a disclaimer "tests ordered today may not be eligible for use in 3 months".  If they did that I wouldn't have ordered.

You don't need a letter from the FDA regarding expired tests when you board.  .  When you call Emed to do your testing they will tell you if the test is still valid.  I had a NON VALID test for my Jan 10th cruise because it expired on the 5th (which included that 3 month extension). They had mailed me those tests in September.  

Well, eMed didn't send you expired tests, they just didn't sent you tests that were good beyond March 16th. You assumed they would send you tests that would be good for 12-15 months, right?

My recommendations are that if you have cruises past March 16th, I'd plan on using the test kits (I assume 4 or ?more of them) for the (2?) cruises you have booked that sail on or before March 16th, 2022. Set those aside for that purpose.

The next thing I'd do is call customer service on Tuesday and tell them your situation explaining you can cover two (?) cruises with the six pack you received from them but not any of your cruises past March 16th and that you had the expectation that you would be issued test kits with expiration dates at least 12-15 months beyond your order date..... a reasonable consumer expectation. Then ask for an instore credit for each of the test kits out of the 6 you received that you won't use and/or will expire on March 16th.

Let's say you have two of them at $30 each that won't work for you. That's a $60 credit for the next purchase you make one month or less before your next cruise and after March 16th.  They should do that IMO. Try honey instead of outrage. If they won't work with you, challenge the charge with your CC company. I tend to agree with you sending you test kits that appear to have been manufactured a year ago is cheesy if not questionable in terms of their policies on these matters found here (your CC company will probably agree with us and credit you back the $180 you were charged):

https://www.emed.com/terms-of-sale  

The issue with the extension is we do not have a ton of guidance on which tests are included and which ones are not.  The first tests had a shorter shelf life (about 9 months) and the extension was ONLY for those tests.  Newer tests are being made with a 11 month shelf life so the information showing an extension is not going to cover those or others as that is already built in.  Until we have updated information DO NOT count on testing expiring 3 months beyond the date listed unless they were covered under the initial extension.  

3 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

The first tests had a shorter shelf life (about 9 months) and the extension was ONLY for those tests.  Newer tests are being made with a 11 month shelf life so the information showing an extension is not going to cover those or others as that is already built in.

Do you have a link for this information? I sent an inquiry today to Abbott labs asking them to clarify Abbot's history of requests for extensions of the shelf life of both BinaxNow products (proctored and un-proctored) and the FDA's response to those requests. I mentioned there is confusion about the length of time a particular product's expiration date by box code ID has been extended and which products by box code ID have not had their expiration dates extended.

I have a copy of Abbott's release on May first, 2021 of a letter that extended expiration dates and by how much and by which box ID. There were 100s of them in a 4 page list attached to the letter. The latest date of an extension was a batch of IDs (1507, 1507A, 1507B) extended to 2/21/22.

It makes sense that since May, '21, Abbott has not extended any expiration dates for products that had expiration dates of 11/22/21 or later. The FDA had already approved Abbot's request to the FDA to extend the shelf life of early test kits that originally had a 9 month shelf life. That makes the behavior of eMed in sending products with expected 11-12 month shelf life due to expire in March of 2022 particularly egregious as those tests would have been manufactured as early as May, 1st, 2021, having already used up 3/4s of their shelf life when they were shipped to customers like Pattycruise.

At the $30 price tag for each test, you would expect when you buy a 6 as pack for $180 with shipping, you'd expect all of them to be manufactured in late November, early December, 2021 at the latest and be useful for 11-12 months. OTH, it's possible that eMed sees buying 6 tests is meant to meet the immediate pre-boarding testing needs for a party of 6 traveling together not to meet the pre-bording needs of a couple over a year's time.

Lesson here is order early but not too early. Lesson for eMed, make it clear that if you order test kits you may receive test kits that will expire not later than 3 months. Plan your purchases accordingly.  Optionally and when you don't need 6 test kits over the hsort term, buy the 2 pack from Optum instead.

You can start ordering home COVID AG tests at the link below starting Wednesday, January 19th, I assume at 12:01 AM. I searched and could not find the brands to be distributed. Several articles mention 8 brands. Hard to know which brands are included in the government program. The second link is to the FDA's list of all FDA Approved/EUA COVID Rapid AG tests - there are 16 approved for home use. Your guess is as good as mine on which of those 16 are in the government's plan. The third link is a list of the 9 "best" at home COVID tests. I read this article and found it to be medically sound. You could imagine the brands in the government's program will include 8 of these nine. Abbott's BinaxNow kit tops the list. No surprise to me.  As far as I can tell, the Abbott product is the only AG test on the list that is proctored and meets RCL's pre-boarding requirements. There is a home molecular test n the list (won't be distributed by the government) that might meet RCL's PCR requirement for kiddos as it does have some kind of monitoring that can be done if you sign up for it (???$$$)

In the final analysis, using the government web site to obtain free COVID tests is a crap shoot for us cruisers. I doubt the proctored test is among those the government will be sending out. Back to eMed or Optum folks. However, for personal use - and I think there are a lot of good reasons to have these on hand - I'd take advantage of ordering from the Government web site/   

https://www.covidtests.gov/

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics-euas-antigen-diagnostic-tests-sars-cov-2

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-at-home-covid-tests-5208810

I had issues with emed also. Last cruise I ordered from the Royal Caribbean Optum store. Had zero issues with that purchase. 

With the Covid test shortages and possible long lines we decided to order a 6 pack from emed on Dec 28. We figured the $182 was worth the piece of mind to again take the tests at home before our March 11 Wonder cruise. Joining on this cruise is my brother and his family also. So he ordered his 6 tests on Dec 30. So on Dec 31 he got his shipping info but nothing for me yet. A quick side note, my brother lives Nextdoor to me. On Jan 3 I called emed as I still had no tracking or being charged. Emed assured me that mine will ship and I will get a tracking number despite my brothers order after mine and arriving the following day. 

The next day my brothers ordered arrived along with my order both via Fedex. That’s same day I noticed a pending refund of $182 for my tests while my order status still shows pending on shipping. On Jan 4 the refund disappeared and still to this day my emed account still shows pending. So I was never charged for my kits, almost received a refund for something I was never charged for, and still received my 6 kits. Talk about a messed up ordering experience.

So in the end my brother paid and got his tests, I never paid, almost got a refund, and still got my tests. 

I've had good results with eMed on three occasions that I've used them. eMed is an Abbott Lab's distribution vendor under contract with Abbott Labs. Still, the stories being posted here about shipping mess-ups after the ordering process is disturbing.

I just sent this to Abbott Labs. You can add your own experiences. A flood of these may get Abbott's attention.

I'm writing on behalf of a community of Royal Caribbean cruise ship enthusiasts. Our forum members are posting a disturbing number of problems with eMed shipping delays and receipt of Abbott BinaxNow proctored (Telehealth) AG test kits with only 3 months until they are expired. We understand the demand levels from customers you may be dealing with at the moment but I'm asking you to look into eMeds practice of shipping almost expired test kits. That's a questionable business practice that I doubt you would approve of. Thank you for your attention to this problem our group is experiencing. A positive response would help restore our confidence in Abbott Labs, its partnership with eMed and the job they are doing distributing your proctored COVID test products. We rely on the timely receipt of them and  trust that those tests we do receive from eMed will have expiration dates that are at least 9 months from the date they are ordered.  

Here's a link to Abbott: https://www.molecular.abbott/us/en/about-us/contact?s=t

NB: the link is to Abbott Molecular but it is going to be seen by someone that may refer it to Abbott employees who deal with the Abbot Rapid AG test products. I couldn't find a similar link for that specific product. Best I could do.

After reading everyone's differing experiences, and becoming sufficiently frightened, I decided to order (2) 3-Pack Test Kits from Optum now, even though my B2B isn't until April 30. So I ordered on Jan 15 at 11:30pm. I immediately received a confirmation with my Order #. The next day, I received an email that my order was shipped, with a FedEx tracking # and an estimated delivery date of Jan 17-18. OK Cool, right? So far, so good. I said: "I'm not sure what's going on with these people, but my order is on it's way!" Well, the next day, Monday, I went to track my order and now my FedEx status changed to 'Pending'!! OH NO. Not quite believing my eyes, I quickly refreshed my screen. Now, the FedEx status went from 'Pending' to 'We have no information on this tracking #' or something to that effect. Whaaaaat?? I definitely should not have talked so quickly about those 'Blog People'. So I said, Oh well. Then, yesterday, Tuesday, I received a notification from FedEx that my order would be delivered on Wednesday, Jan 19. I said, I'll believe it when I see it!! Happily, it was just delivered, with expiration dates of 11/20/22. Whew!! 

A while back, one of our posters noted that FEDEX has terrible service. Several others posted that the problems seem to stem from the "pulling" of a shipping label by the distributor and then the actual pick-up of the package by FEDEX - which may be days latter.

Once the package is in the hands of FEDEX, things seem to go smoothly. Your experience, SpicyCherry, would seem to support that view. Iv'e found that both FEDEX and UPS seem to have their acts together (once the have the package, with USPS working hard to catch up from behind. Overall, considering all things, delivery entities are doing a decent job.

15 minutes ago, JeffB said:

A while back, one of our posters noted that FEDEX has terrible service. Several others posted that the problems seem to stem from the "pulling" of a shipping label by the distributor and then the actual pick-up of the package by FEDEX - which may be days latter.

Once the package is in the hands of FEDEX, things seem to go smoothly. Your experience, SpicyCherry, would seem to support that view. Iv'e found that both FEDEX and UPS seem to have their acts together (once the have the package, with USPS working hard to catch up from behind. Overall, considering all things, delivery entities are doing a decent job.

Agreed.  I am confident that my package never made it to FedEx after they pulled a shipping label.  I took your advice and filed a dispute with my HSA administrator since FedEx is pointing at EMed and EMed is pointing at FedEx.

48 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Yes, I remember reading that post about FedEx….frankly I’ve never had any problems with either FedEx or UPS. In fact, today, I had deliveries from both. UPS even will tell me how many stops away they are. However, I know things happen and no one gets it right 100% of the time…@SpeedNoodles, I hope it works out for you!!

Update: when I last mentioned my target order I got the book I canceled later the other day like 3 weeks later. So just a frame of reference that shipping is a mess.
The retailers really need to stop with their shitty expected ETAs that don't update to actually reflect the shipping vendors . It'd save them headaches with all of this too.

From what I've seen the Optum experience is,  pay more for the test but free shipping and despite a snafu during the holidays I got it ( was FedEx and then used USPS when I had an issue)

emed had the cheaper tests but you had to pay for shipping. And from this thread... its not great.

Feel like at least a month buffer is a good idea but you don't want to cut it too close.

The other shipping issues is what's going on in LA with the trains coming from thr ports. Not sure where the tests originate from but that's just making a mess in general with shipping.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:22 AM, Ktcruiser said:

I ordered from EMed on the 14th and got my order on the 18th.