BinaxNow test kits ~ edited

TammyMK

Welcome to the forums!

You can get packs of 2 or 3 from Optum - EMed has always only sold 6-packs. The problem with that is that the Optum ones may be close to expired - I think EMed has the fresher batches (but that's anecdotal). I paid $31 for shipping that was not overnight (ordered NYE,  still haven't received them).  But I know that many people use the tests for family members beyond who they could register on the website. They just need to set up a Navica account.  @Matt should be able to confirm this.

You can also follow this thread for info on the tests:

• TammyMK changed the title to BinaxNow test kits ~ edited
11 minutes ago, 12thman said:

You need the customer service number? It's difficult to find on the website. 

If you have it handy, sure. I've sent two messages through their contact form - the first time they said "we're backed up, wait 7 days".  I haven't gotten a response yet for the second, but I just sent it.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

If you have it handy, sure. I've sent two messages through their contact form - the first time they said "we're backed up, wait 7 days".  I haven't gotten a response yet for the second, but I just sent it.

+1866-955-1173 haven't called them but hopefully they can assist. 

18 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I got one on 1/6, but this is what I get when I click on it today to track it:

image.thumb.png.658c3752b61d2769940347d93f59aec2.png

Might need to touch base with them on that one.  Once my tracking showed up (took about a day) it said estimated delivery Dec 31st; however, when I tracked it that day it said "running late."  I didn't get it until January 4th.  I received it 1 week from the date I ordered it.

5 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

Might need to touch base with them on that one.  Once my tracking showed up (took about a day) it said estimated delivery Dec 31st; however, when I tracked it that day it said "running late."  I didn't get it until January 4th.  I received it 1 week from the date I ordered it.

I did. It's been "escalated".  @Pattycruise may need to call them as well.  Warning: their "on hold" music is painful.

14 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I sail in March and June.  Wary about ordering tests that may expire before the March date.    Everyone getting tests with more than 2 months of life left on them?  I saw a couple that were good until Dec 22.  If that's the norm I'd order just to get ahead of it.

i Just received mine on January 4th (ordered December 28th) from eMed and my expiration dates were November 17, 2022

1 hour ago, SPS said:

My opinion for several years now: FedEx is THE WORST delivery company out there!

I think the worst is vendors are preprinting their labels and they're getting blown up with orders and they aren't actually having the stock. So then what's really happening is FedEx/UPS isn't it even the one to blame. Had this issue with my tests and then with stuff I was ordering from Target.

I think the most important tip is order your tests early!

Just another data point:   Ordered from Emed on Saturday, January 8th.  Received them today.  Never got any sort of shipping confirmation.  Expiration 11/21/22.  Packaging is slightly different from the ones purchased last year.  Barcode to scan for testing is now on the outside of the shipping box and not on each test.  May be an issue if you are not using all tests in 1 location.

Yesterday I was told (over the phone and by follow up email) that my order issue was being escalated to "Level 3 customer support".  Just now I received the same form letter that I received when I checked on them a week ago (tests are delayed!  Let us know if it's been over 7 days! - Ummm, I have, that's why I called and it was supposedly elevated).   To say that my patience is running thin is an understatement.

21 hours ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

Given what I have seen here, I ordered 2 kits for our March cruise today.  Will update shipping status and stuff in due course.

When in March? My sister is going March 13th and I am unsure about the expiration situation BUT then I read @SpeedNoodlesordeal. The lines right now everywhere are long, this home one seems the way to go, but I am torn does she order it now or later & risk not getting it in time? 

12 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yesterday I was told (over the phone and by follow up email) that my order issue was being escalated to "Level 3 customer support".  Just now I received the same form letter that I received when I checked on them a week ago (tests are delayed!  Let us know if it's been over 7 days! - Ummm, I have, that's why I called and it was supposedly elevated).   To say that my patience is running thin is an understatement.

This point I'd either ask for a refund or let my credit card company deal with it.

5 minutes ago, Neesa said:

When in March? My sister is going March 13th and I am unsure about the expiration situation BUT then I read @SpeedNoodlesordeal. The lines right now everywhere are long, this home one seems the way to go, but I am torn does she order it now or later & risk not getting it in time? 

I would order now. I ordered some at the end of December and got expiration dates of November '22. I don't think expiration dates are the limiting factor anymore, mow its availability.

@Neesa.  Seems to me that @SpeedNoodlesgot caught in some nightmare with processing over the new year holiday.  I have no way of knowing but at time systems act funny when a year is closed out.

I purposely waited until the Monday after to order from eMed.  Mine were here before the end of the week.

Also everything that is being reported from both eMad and Optum shows that the supply of old kits is gone and all are now freshly manufactured with an 11 month expiration from mfg.  So most around Nov or later now.

Order now safe for March of this year

@PRebecca @Jkaczano

If you guys are wanting to add the information in the correct thread is 

I can't go through all the threads and track the information so anything posted elsewhere will not be added in.

@SpeedNoodles I would call back and tell them you get a tracking number within 24 hours or you are calling the CC company to cancel the order.  This hurts them MUCH more than a refund as they are also hit with fees by the credit card processor.  The run around game is not one I play so that is a quick way to a resolution because they are out the sale as well as lose money in general.

32 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

@SpeedNoodles I would call back and tell them you get a tracking number within 24 hours or you are calling the CC company to cancel the order.  This hurts them MUCH more than a refund as they are also hit with fees by the credit card processor.  The run around game is not one I play so that is a quick way to a resolution because they are out the sale as well as lose money in general.

I'll give that a try.  Their call center is not US-based and I had a very, very, difficult time communicating with the guy I spoke with the first time.  He couldn't understand me, I couldn't understand him.....

5 hours ago, Neesa said:

Is she on my Harmony cruise?!?!?

Here are my thoughts on test kits:

• A six-pac of BinaxNow, proctored, Rapid AG tests from eMed costs $180 including "next day" delivery from FEDEX. It's seems that "next" day means within 3-5d not including weekends. I suspect delays mentioned above are from the distributor of the tests issuing a shipping label then not getting the package in the hands of FEDEX quickly enough, also mentioned above.
  • That's $30/test that will last you and your partner for 3 cruises in about an 11 month period. Tests ordered and received in January 2022 seem to have November expiration dates. Mine did and others have seen the same.
  • You may be tempted (due to lack of the un-proctored self tests that are available) but don't use these tests except for travel where a proctored test result is required. The proctored tests are expensive compared to the un-proctored model. Those will will either be free by Saturday or in a week or so both models will be covered by health insurance.
  • Abbott Labs test production is scaling up and both proctored and un-proctored tests will be more readily available over the coming weeks. Don't panic buy, don't horde. 
  • Use un-proctored tests (when you can get them) to test if you have COVID symptoms and are worried about spreading it/think you need to isolate or insuring you have cleared the infection after 5d. Don't test needlessly and without symptoms unless you are positive you've been in "close contact" with an  infected person. Be aware that testing too early in an Omicron COVID infection will produce a false negative result. Avoid testing before 48h from symptom onset or exposure. As well, don't rush post symptom testing for return to work/normal routine. Wait at least 5d from symptom onset or exposure and no fever. If you push it, you'll get a positive result and wasted a test. Be patient. 
  • The hallmark symptoms of Omicron induced COVID are a sore throat, fever > 99.0F and in some cases, body aches. These hallmark features will be accompanied by a runny nose and paroxysmal sneezing. Cough, if there is one, is dry and unproductive.
  • A constellation of symptoms that doesn't match these is probably influenza, your common cold induced by the every day coronavirus or a mucous productive cough caused by the bacterium M. Pneumoniae that quickly resolves with a Z-Pk and a 5d course of prednisone. Know the differences.
  • The Navica app (available at the play store for Android and Apple for Apple phones) is nice and will store all your BinaxNow proctored and un-proctored test results for you to display to officials checking for negative COVID tests but recommend you print hard-copy results. A loss of network connection or availability of WIFI will make it impossible for you access the app just when you need it. You will be THAT PERSON in line that is holding up boarding.