Least expensive connectivity?

jbrinkm

We're a family of 4 (myself, DH, DC14 and DS12). DH has his own business and needs to keep in touch (may need to do a teleconference or two). My tween, teen and self would like *some* access to download shows, keep in touch at home, etc. but don't need 24/7 access like he does. We use Verizon wireless unlimited for our phones. Voom Surf & Stream isn't horribly priced (relatively) for our cruise right now (<$20/day) but it is an 8 day cruise with 4 in-port days. We'd also love to be able to keep in touch with the kids during port days just in case of separation.

I'd love advice on the least expensive way to manage this. I'm pretty sure DH will need the cruise ship Voom package, but what else should we do for the lowest cost? Has anyone used the Verizon cruise package? What would that be good for? Should I get both Verizon AND cruise ship package(s)? More than one Voom package? What about in port (4 islands, not Mexico where we'd be covered...)

Thanks for any info/advice!

14 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

You could just get a 2-device plan - your husband could have his own log in and the rest of you could share the other log in (you just can't use it at the same time).

A 2-device plan has only one login info allowing two devices at a time.  Wouldn't it be more convenient for them to just get two separate VOOM plans, just so the husband's devices are never bumped off?

6 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

A 2-device plan has only one login info allowing two devices at a time.  Wouldn't it be more convenient for them to just get two separate VOOM plans, just so the husband's devices are never bumped off?

Either way, you can use two devices at a time.  Husband on one, someone else on the other.  When we use the 2 device plan I changed my device all of the time and never kicked my husband off of his.

5 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Either way, you can use two devices at a time.  Husband on one, someone else on the other.  When we use the 2 device plan I changed my device all of the time and never kicked my husband off of his.

The other users need to be disciplined in their logging on and off the plan.  

I think what PG Cruise may have meant was that the other three sharing the “second” device have to be careful that only one of them is logged in at a time so as not to potentially kick hubby off.  “It’s my turn! No it’s MY turn! You get off!  No!!!” 😄

The Voom is just for on the ship, right? It doesn't do anything when we are in port (and off the ship)? 

Anyone have experience with the Verizon cruise package that can tell me about it? (It would be in addition to my husband's Voom, maybe in addition to a 2-device package Voom also). 

And, my kids will listen to logging on/logging off - that won't be a concern. Maybe we'll make up a schedule and/or restrict times when DH REALLY needs it for something urgent. But thanks for the heads up on that concern!

13 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Ok.  I  never was. Maybe things  have changed.

I was using three devices with a 2-device VOOM plan.  I've noticed that the system kicks out the first device to log on - First In - First Out.  I was using my Mac for work related matters and the two other devices for leisure.   When I forget to log off on one of the leisure devices, my Mac gets kicked out.

4 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We're a family of 4 (myself, DH, DC14 and DS12). DH has his own business and needs to keep in touch (may need to do a teleconference or two). My tween, teen and self would like *some* access to download shows, keep in touch at home, etc. but don't need 24/7 access like he does. We use Verizon wireless unlimited for our phones. Voom Surf & Stream isn't horribly priced (relatively) for our cruise right now (<$20/day) but it is an 8 day cruise with 4 in-port days. We'd also love to be able to keep in touch with the kids during port days just in case of separation.

I'd love advice on the least expensive way to manage this. I'm pretty sure DH will need the cruise ship Voom package, but what else should we do for the lowest cost? Has anyone used the Verizon cruise package? What would that be good for? Should I get both Verizon AND cruise ship package(s)? More than one Voom package? What about in port (4 islands, not Mexico where we'd be covered...)

Thanks for any info/advice!

Verizon 

Monthly Plan* $20/mo per line
Data 50MB

Overage $20/50MB

I don't think you would get a lot of data out of that.  
It is PER LINE  so 4 of you would be $80 and it would go up when you exceed that initial 50MB
Then I believe you have to add on the travel pass, 
which is $10 per person per day. Good for 24 hours  so if you log in at noon it is good til noon the next day
you would have to remember to go back on airplane mode when back on the ship.  Even one text/phone call will triggert
the next 24 hours....been there done that!s  (you can add travel pass to all of your phones, no cost, and if anyone happens
to come off airplane mode and use verizon service you will be covered under the $10 per day)

NO, you would NOT have internet service/wifi when on the islands with Royals' wifi 

If you purchase the 4 user surf you will have "decent service" if the kids want video you would need surf/stream

I have had my 3 kids on cruises, and never lost them once when on an island.  I don't think that should be an issue. They cannot get off the ship
without you.

Speaking from experience when I had my family of 6 using a 4 person Royal Surf/Stream:  #1-4 can be logged into their
device, when #5 logs in he knocks off #1, When # 6 logs in he knocks off #2 etc.....so buying LESS package than you need may not be 
the answer you want.

18 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

The Voom is just for on the ship, right? It doesn't do anything when we are in port (and off the ship)? 

Anyone have experience with the Verizon cruise package that can tell me about it? (It would be in addition to my husband's Voom, maybe in addition to a 2-device package Voom also). 

And, my kids will listen to logging on/logging off - that won't be a concern. Maybe we'll make up a schedule and/or restrict times when DH REALLY needs it for something urgent. But thanks for the heads up on that concern!

You probably don't want to use the Verizon cruise package, you want Verizon's TravelPass service.  It costs $5 or $10 per day where each day is a 24 hour period.  You need to activate it before you leave (I think you have to call), then when you connect to cell service in an international country, you get a text from Verizon asking if you want to use TravelPass instead of international roaming.  Respond yes and for the next 24 hours, they extend your normal phone/data service plan to cover you internationally.  That includes unlimited data if that's the type of plan you have.  The best part is it doesn't matter if you change countries during that 24 hours!  So you could activate it in Antigua at 2PM and use it in St. Lucia the next morning.

TravelPass doesn't work while at sea so Voom is still the best choice there.  On most Caribbean itineraries, you spend more time in port than at sea so I've been able to use TravelPass without Voom and only needed to use it every other day if I'm careful.

17 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I don't think you would get a lot of data out of that.  
It is PER LINE  so 4 of you would be $80 and it would go up when you exceed that initial 50MB
Then I believe you have to add on the travel pass, 
which is $10 per person per day. Good for 24 hours  so if you log in at noon it is good til noon the next day
you would have to remember to go back on airplane mode when back on the ship. 

I have had my 3 kids on cruises, and never lost them once when on an island.  I don't think that should be an issue. They cannot get off the ship
without you.

33 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You probably don't want to use the Verizon cruise package, you want Verizon's TravelPass service.  It costs $5 or $10 per day where each day is a 24 hour period.  You need to activate it before you leave (I think you have to call), then when you connect to cell service in an international country, you get a text from Verizon asking if you want to use TravelPass instead of international roaming.  Respond yes and for the next 24 hours, they extend your normal phone/data service plan to cover you internationally.  That includes unlimited data if that's the type of plan you have.  The best part is it doesn't matter if you change countries during that 24 hours!  So you could activate it in Antigua at 2PM and use it in St. Lucia the next morning.

TravelPass doesn't work while at sea so Voom is still the best choice there.  On most Caribbean itineraries, you spend more time in port than at sea so I've been able to use TravelPass without Voom and only needed to use it every other day if I'm careful.

Thank you everyone, and @Pattycruise and @Atlantix2000 for the help with Verizon. This is exactly what I needed to know and super helpful! We will activate our TravelPass and hope for the best, that we don't need to use it, and that we remember to go back on airplane mode while on the ship... Plus we'll get one (or maybe two, still thinking about it) Voom passes for DH work (he is now saying he won't need it 24/7 and the kids and I can have a few hours each day to "borrow" it, LOL). Do either of you (or anyone else) know if the Verizon TravelPass gets charged only for the phones that use it for that 24 hours, or do all the lines get charged? We have 4 lines - if two of us use it one day, do we get charged $20 or $40?

And, @Pattycruise, I don't think anyone ever INTENDS to lose their kids (although maybe some would argue with me on that 🤣), whether it has happened before or not, but I prefer to have a backup plan just in case and phones are the easiest back up plan for us. My teens are savvy city-dwellers who are used to a lot of independence and freedom of movement, keeping in touch via their phones (my oldest uses public transportation to go to and from school every day). I can totally see them stopping to look at something while walking around, the rest of us keep moving forward, and voila, separated! It is a Spring Break cruise and I'm imagining busy ports. The good news is that the place it would be most likely to happen, due to our tentative planning, is Puerto Rico and luckily Verizon considers that domestic. Yay!

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Do either of you (or anyone else) know if the Verizon TravelPass gets charged only for the phones that use it for that 24 hours, or do all the lines get charged?

It will be per line. But it will only charge that line if it pings a cell tower. If you decide not to turn on cellular on a phone (leave it on airplane mode) you won't get charged.

$10 /line per day

$5/line in Canada and Mexico.

Roaming in Canada and Mexico is included with Start, Play, Do, Get and other Unlimited plans.

Get a TravelPass day on us every month on select Unlimited plans.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...