...and Now For Something Completely Different!

BrianB

How about a place to post observations and comments about things that have absolutely nothing to do with that medical related issue currently dominating the conversation? You know, pre-shutdown... 

I'll start...

Lifeguard intensity. I'm very impressed with the lifeguards on the Oasis and Anthem (and I suspect throughout the Royal fleet) as they perform their duties. Even when a pool is empty, they seem to never stop staring and scanning the water. Always standing mid-poolside, holding their rescue float, ready to jump into action. And when their relief comes...first he/she checks in with the on duty guard, then performs a visual check of virtually every square inch of the pool and when satisfied, gives a thumbs up. Then the relieved guard (even after staring at the water the whole time) still performs another visual check of virtually every square inch of the pool. When satisfied, gives a thumbs up to the new guard, and getting an acknowledgement, before walking away. To me, they seem like automatons. Programmed to do nothing else but be prepared to jump in and help. I love that! Safety first!

9 minutes ago, BrianB said:

How about a place to post observations and comments about things that have absolutely nothing to do with that medical related issue currently dominating the conversation? You know, pre-shutdown... 

I'll start...

Lifeguard intensity. I'm very impressed with the lifeguards on the Oasis and Anthem (and I suspect throughout the Royal fleet) as they perform their duties. Even when a pool is empty, they seem to never stop staring and scanning the water. Always standing mid-pool, holding their rescue float, ready to jump into action. And when their relief comes...first he/she checks in with the on duty guard, then performs a visual check of virtually every square inch of the pool and when satisfied, gives a thumbs up. Then the relieved guard (even after staring at the water the whole time) still performs another visual check of virtually every square inch of the pool. When satisfied, gives a thumbs up to the new guard, and getting an acknowledgement, before walking away. To me, they seem like automatons. Programmed to do nothing else but be prepared to jump in and help. I love that! Safety first!

On the Allure last summer I decided I would do some laps in the pool as soon as they opened. It gave me an excuse to eat more during the day, but I digress.  There were times I had three lifeguards watching me.  I love that!  Safety first! ha ha

4 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

On the Allure last summer I decided I would do some laps in the pool as soon as they opened. It gave me an excuse to eat more during the day, but I digress.  There were times I had three lifeguards watching me.  I love that!  Safety first! ha ha

I envy you. The only laps around the pool that I can do...is strolling around the outside of the pool.

7 hours ago, BrianB said:

I envy you. The only laps around the pool that I can do...is strolling around the outside of the pool.

Oh... I do that too... usually with an ice cream cone in hand.  It's better than waiting by the ice cream machine to finish my FIRST cone 😉

15 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I'll start...

Lifeguard intensity. I'm very impressed with the lifeguards on the Oasis and Anthem (and I suspect throughout the Royal fleet) as they perform their duties. Even when a pool is empty, they seem to never stop staring and scanning the water. Always standing mid-pool, holding their rescue float, ready to jump into action. And when their relief comes...first he/she checks in with the on duty guard, then performs a visual check of virtually every square inch of the pool and when satisfied, gives a thumbs up. Then the relieved guard (even after staring at the water the whole time) still performs another visual check of virtually every square inch of the pool. When satisfied, gives a thumbs up to the new guard, and getting an acknowledgement, before walking away. To me, they seem like automatons. Programmed to do nothing else but be prepared to jump in and help. I love that! Safety first!

Oh my gosh…I observed and thought the same exact thing when I was on Oasis in November!  It is truly fascinating to watch!!!!

19 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Lifeguard intensity. I'm very impressed with the lifeguards on the Oasis and Anthem (and I suspect throughout the Royal fleet) as they perform their duties.

On our last cruise on Vision in January 2020 (Two years ago? sigh.) We observed a mock water rescue being performed by the lifeguard staff one morning. I can't remember all the details, but, it was very impressive to watch. I would assume that these drills are performed regularly for the staff to stay sharp.

Once, during a port day, I saw a lifeguard being tested. A supervisor snuck up behind and dropped a small child-sized weighted mannequin into the pool, which immediately sank to the bottom. The lifeguard reacted instantly...blew a whistle and jumped in. He got the mannequin off the bottom and, carefully cradling it to support the head and neck, brought it to the side and began resuscitation procedures. It was impressive to watch. Going from a seemingly bored stance to frenetic activity in a second. Afterward, another lifeguard immediately took his spot. After, of course, the pool inspection ritual where the relieved guard, soaking wet, still performed his part before leaving to get dried off. Amazing display!

Ok…I find it amazing how precise the cleaners are when cleaning and wiping down all the mirrors, lower walls, and brass all over the ship.  They try so hard to keep fingerprints and marks at the minimum.  I jokingly requested one cleaner in particular if I could hire him for my house cleaning!!!  He laughed but never took his eyes off of what he was doing!  

6 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Ok…I find it amazing how precise the cleaners are when cleaning and wiping down all the mirrors, lower walls, and brass all over the ship.  They try so hard to keep fingerprints and marks at the minimum.  I jokingly requested one cleaner in particular if I could hire him for my house cleaning!!!  He laughed but never took his eyes off of what he was doing!  

I agree they are amazing. It's also amazing how they can repeatedly perform these seemingly mind-numbing tasks and yet still be pleasant...always saying hello when I pass them in the stairways and public areas. Even late at night. I can tell from their eyes that they are smiling. Impressive!

10 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Jokingly, I told the cleaner I have befriended to put up a "DO NOT TOUCH" sign.  It became an ongoing joke the entire cruise.

The wait staff in the main dinning rooms…have never had a bad experience.  Our last cruise our waiter was Elvis from India, he and my wife were talking about how much she likes Indian food and he said he would take care of her, brought out off menu Indian food for her to try, she loved it.  Just a little extra that really makes the cruise that much better, we really enjoyed all the staff on that cruise though.

11 minutes ago, Geoff P said:

The wait staff in the main dinning rooms…have never had a bad experience.  Our last cruise our waiter was Elvis from India, he and my wife were talking about how much she likes Indian food and he said he would take care of her, brought out off menu Indian food for her to try, she loved it.  Just a little extra that really makes the cruise that much better, we really enjoyed all the staff on that cruise though.

So I probably need to change to the dining section, but there is an Indian food menu in the MDR. What other menus are available?

10 minutes ago, Geoff P said:

I love that they can meet me one time...and remember my name for the entire cruise! I'm lucky I can remember what deck the restaurant is on...or which end of the ship. I sometimes end up at the theater at dinnertime and at the restaurant at showtime!

11 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Can't lifeguards play Solitaire on their phones?

Not a good idea. You have to be vigilant all the time you are on duty. Quite often a person drowning or having a serious problem doesn't scream or call for help. I did see a lifeguard a few years ago at a public beach here in NC playing her ukulele while watching her area of the ocean. 😎

Okay so on my Oct 2021 Allure sailing we stayed in a suite. Mostly during the day, the suite deck was packed. We would go in the evening to enjoy deck time, usually after the sun has set. People in the CLS wouldn't close their curtains. Like you by day 3 you should definitely know people can see in.

Also just seeing the smiles and light in the eyes of the crew, they really do love working on the ship. 

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Not a good idea. You have to be vigilant all the time you are on duty. Quite often a person drowning or having a serious problem doesn't scream or call for help. I did see a lifeguard a few years ago at a public beach here in NC playing her ukulele while watching her area of the ocean. 😎

I was kidding... ha ha