March cruising?

I am also in the mid March group.  When we did an L & S from last year, I thought we were gold.  Now I’m not so sure.  We got a really sweet deal moving from Rhapsody to Harmony price protected and I hate to lose it.  My brother (his first cruise) and hubby keep asking should we go?  Wish I had stuck with the Western Caribbean itinerary instead of moving to Eastern but it’s too late to go back.  Really if we spent 7 days on the ship, I’d probably be ok with it.  We have a large room and a large balcony & Harmony’s a big ship.  Not sure how my brother would feel though.  Final payment is mid February so we will wait and decide then.

I have a March 6th cruise on Anthem (newly booked in December-awesome price!) and also an April 18th cruise (which was originally booked in 2019 for 2020).  Everyday I feel differently about these…from yes, going no matter what…to what should we do…to wait and see…back to yes!   I too would be fine just spending the 7 days at sea for the March cruise.  I think right now I just have to stop thinking about it for the next few weeks and then see what happens.

I saw on this morning’s news that the CDC is in-depth looking at the cruise industry so who knows what will happen next anyway!  Apparently they are saying that every single cruise in the past few weeks has had COVID cases aboard.  Ughhhhhhhh 🙄😵💫😷

EVERYWHERE has had covid cases over the last several weeks!  I am like you, how I feel about going changes daily, sometimes several times a day.

I’m not a doctor, I didn’t stay at a holiday inn express, I have no crystal ball.  My OPINION is this increase has to do with:

1. Omicron 

2.  Holidays 

3.  Increased testing because of #2

4.  Increased capacities on ships because of #2.

I HOPE all of the above will subside before I have to make my decision.

30 minutes ago, Pooch said:

EVERYWHERE has had covid cases over the last several weeks!

My take on this situation: I feel safer on a cruise than I do in my own city. On a cruise everyone is vaccinated and wears a mask. At the local grocery store I have no idea if someone is vaccinated (likely not here) and no one except employees is wearing a mask.

We have a spring break cruise booked on wonder in March. Our youngest is unvaccinated because of his age.

My worst case scenario would be to test positive while on board and be quarantined on deck 6. Im ok with preboard testing but hope they’ll stop post cruise testing. 

51 minutes ago, sammy79 said:

We have a spring break cruise booked on wonder in March. Our youngest is unvaccinated because of his age.

My worst case scenario would be to test positive while on board and be quarantined on deck 6. Im ok with preboard testing but hope they’ll stop post cruise testing. 

I would hope post cruise testing gets nixed since the vaccines haven't shown much affect in preventing omicron infection.

I’m doing symphony March 19 also with the whole family and kids for their spring break, can’t wait , I’m not concerned at all about omicron as I can almost guarantee the wave will have receded and we’ll be in a good place by then. Odyssey is supposedly in port at coco cay on March 25th when we’re all there, so coco will be jamming that day. Going to be a glorious time had by all. 

We are on Oasis the first week of March and optimistic the cruise will take place and we will be on board. 

My thoughts have been similar to what @PPPJJ-GCVAB stated earlier about each day brings a new level of optimism or concern.  We have 3 cruises booked between now and May including a Greek Isles cruise.    My wife and I agreed to cancel the first one,  then changed our mind to cancel the 2nd one, and finally decided a couple of weeks ago to take a "wait and see" approach.  Glad we took that approach and still have options.  

On 1/7/2022 at 7:45 AM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I have a March 6th cruise on Anthem (newly booked in December-awesome price!) and also an April 18th cruise (which was originally booked in 2019 for 2020).  Everyday I feel differently about these…from yes, going no matter what…to what should we do…to wait and see…back to yes!   I too would be fine just spending the 7 days at sea for the March cruise.  I think right now I just have to stop thinking about it for the next few weeks and then see what happens.

I saw on this morning’s news that the CDC is in-depth looking at the cruise industry so who knows what will happen next anyway!  Apparently they are saying that every single cruise in the past few weeks has had COVID cases aboard.  Ughhhhhhhh 🙄😵💫😷

Yes a number of recent sailings have had COVID cases on board BUT the positivity rate is less than 1% compared with land based measurements.  Last I saw Illinois had a 15.7% positivity rate.  The numbers show your less likely to contract COVID on a cruise ship than on land amongst the general population.

My feelings are that if you are having anxiety about going look at your options and go later. Why stress yourself? It's supposed to be a relaxing time. I've seen numerous people at work get covid from the early days to now and everyone I've talked to said it was terrible to mild. But where else can you take a vacation and they take care of you like royal does? All inclusive vacation doesn't test you, give you medicine, give you a private jet ride home. Only royal is doing all this. 

We are on Wonder inaugural cruise and unless royal cancels this we will go. Hopefully it will be better than our Alaska cruise this past summer. 

On 1/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, Va4fam said:

We are on Oasis the first week of March and optimistic the cruise will take place and we will be on board. 

My thoughts have been similar to what @PPPJJ-GCVAB stated earlier about each day brings a new level of optimism or concern.  We have 3 cruises booked between now and May including a Greek Isles cruise.    My wife and I agreed to cancel the first one,  then changed our mind to cancel the 2nd one, and finally decided a couple of weeks ago to take a "wait and see" approach.  Glad we took that approach and still have options.  

we are also on Oasis first week of March, plus last week of February.  I am planning to go.  I think things will be better by then.  At least hoping...

We were scheduled on Symphony for 2/3 but a few days before the latest round of cancellations I rescheduled us for Jewel of the Seas on March 26th.  (Smaller ship I know, but really was closest to the Symphony’s itinerary that I cancelled).  I only cancelled because I was afraid of getting on the ship and not being able to enter any of the ports along the way.  Hoping omnicron is winding down by that time but if it hasn’t and I can’t sail then am hoping to push and get my money back instead of FCC and I will just plan our vacation elsewhere.  I saw that with the latest round of cancellations some were offered FCC and money back so maybe that’s what would happen.  Don’t know, let the waiting begin!

We're booked on Odyssey, end of February thru the first week of March.  This one's been tough, trying to keep it all together.  Airlines have been a pain.  A combination of airline cancellations, fights for refunds, and the price going up substantially with each re-booking, as well as port cancellations and the ever-changing covid protocols made me question the karma of this cruise. 

But we wanted to go, and we stuck with it. As we speak, we are booked for the cruise, we again have airline tickets, and a stay at a motel in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise.   I hope for no more surprises.⛴️

On 1/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, Va4fam said:

@Linda R....fingers crossed things will calm down by then.  Technically I think our sailing is 2/27.  

Oasis is such a great ship and we already have a lot of fun planned during the sailing. 

Yes, I love the Oasis ship.  We also leave on Feb. 27th and also doing the next cruise  (B2B) I think on March 6th.  Have fun

Looks like we are toast for our March cruise.  We were planning on driving, but our government has now added a clause that we are subject to $5000 fines if we cross back to Canada and are positive....even though would still quarantine at home.  This is one of the times that it sucks to be Canadian.  Hope they remove this in the next few months but pretty sure they'll keep it over our March break.

17 minutes ago, YellowBrickRoad said:

We have a Mar 13th cruise as well and was planning on driving. 
Time will tell what we end up doing with this new clause.  🤦🏻‍♀️

Same on both of those  - the date and way of getting there (from Ontario).  Before this clause, we probably would have paid it off and then watched closer to the sail date to see if things had calmed down.  But with this new clause, we will cancel before final payment.  Such a shame as we keep trying to get on this very cruise.