5 and over being required to be vaccinated

I am curious to why the cruise lines have not put in place that everyone over the age of 5 is now required to be vaccinated before cruising.  Most of the blogs I have read of people that have contracted Covid was either with or around an unvaccinated person between 5-12.  Just curious to when the cruise lines are going to change to include everyone 5 and above since the vaccine is available.  I do not think it is fair to require everyone else and not the young children. 

44 minutes ago, Concerned Cruiser said:

I am curious to why the cruise lines have not put in place that everyone over the age of 5 is now required to be vaccinated before cruising.  Most of the blogs I have read of people that have contracted Covid was either with or around an unvaccinated person between 5-12.  Just curious to when the cruise lines are going to change to include everyone 5 and above since the vaccine is available.  I do not think it is fair to require everyone else and not the young children. 

One reason you are hearing about unvaccinated children getting covid onboard is because they are the only ones being tested as a group (now that they have stopped testing people traveling home to foreign nations). Most have no symptoms and would not have known they had covid if they weren't tested.

Of course, they wouldn't be tested if the were vaccinated so that may support your argument.

41 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

One reason you are hearing about unvaccinated children getting covid onboard is because they are the only ones being tested as a group (now that they have stopped testing people traveling home to foreign nations). Most have no symptoms and would not have known they had covid if they weren't tested.

Of course, they wouldn't be tested if the were vaccinated so that may support your argument.

Although you are correct that the vaccine is available to 5-11 year olds, it is not readily avalible worldwide. https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/countries-vaccinating-children-against-covid-19-2021-06-29/

This maybe one reason why cruise lines are a little hesitant to mandate vaccines for 5-11 year olds. Many parents with kids in this age group from countries that do not have the vaccine would not be able to travel. 

@wordell1 brings up a very good point about testing. Also not all cases were spread by cruisers in this population. Many got sick on board because they tested negative prior to embarkation, but the testing occurred too early in the incubation period and they became sick while on board. 

This is another reason why I do not understand this mass hysteria about there being cases on board. There will always be cases of covid on board. It is highly improbable for there not to be a single case of covid onboard known or unknown. I also do not understand the infatuation of the media to call every case of covid in a vaccinated individual a "Breakthrough" case. The vaccines developed were never intended to prevent all covid infections. They were developed to prevent severe to life threatening illness. So a breakthrough case would be a vaccinated individual that needed hospitalization and or ventilation. Overall I have not heard of any cases on board any of the cruise lines that required the infected who was vaccinated to be ventilated and hospitalized. 

I do think that some time Q1 timeframe we will see RCL and other cruise lines mandate vaccinations for this group. 

FYI, Norwegian Cruise Line currently requires ALL guests to be completely vaccinated.  NO EXCEPTIONS!  If your children cannot be vaccinated (under 5), then they cannot cruise.  This is explicitly documented on their safe sailing website information.   I do have an upcoming NCL cruise, along with three RCL cruises, so am keeping track of ALL of these requirements.

Here is a screen clip below of this from NCL's website:

image.thumb.png.b361c4d7137ca45a34baf9a0aaee681a.png

8 hours ago, Concerned Cruiser said:

I do not think it is fair to require everyone else and not the young children. 

Sometimes life isn't fair, sadly.  I think requiring vaccinations at this point isn't fair.  I also don't find it fair that certain lines mandate the vaccines even if you are allergic to the ingredients in them (I am and cannot have another dose per the doc), thus potentially permanently kicking you off the ships.  I certainly hope they never require the boosters, or I will have to cancel all of our trips.

19 minutes ago, MarvinS said:

FYI, Norwegian Cruise Line currently requires ALL guests to be completely vaccinated.  NO EXCEPTIONS!  If your children cannot be vaccinated (under 5), then they cannot cruise.  This is explicitly documented on their safe sailing website information.   I do have an upcoming NCL cruise, along with three RCL cruises, so am keeping track of ALL of these requirements.

Here is a screen clip below of this from NCL's website:

image.thumb.png.b361c4d7137ca45a34baf9a0aaee681a.png

And NCL was the first to cancel almost half of their ships sailing. 100% vaccination means nothing anymore. Time to transition from pandemic to endemic